This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE is awesome!

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kde-mikeleo
Registered Member

KDE is awesome!

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:25 am
I'm not one to create accounts just to praise a product, but KDE is impressing the hell out of me this week!

Long time Linux admin, and a die-hard XFCE4 evangelist since I like fast, simple and clean user interfaces, not the flashy stuff KDE of the past (at least my past) was made of. I felt that KDE sacrificed speed for flashy and useless widgets.

KDE (like Mac's and Windows) kept jumping up in my face trying to be clever and cute, which simple got in my way. XFCE4 does NONE of that malarkey!

Enter a bored day at work last week: dnf group install @kde-desktop and I was hooked!

KDE plasma (5.10) is sooo sleek and sooo elegant AND has the flash of a modern desktop without sacrificing performance.

Wobbly windows? Desktop cube? Activities? Rotating wallpaper? The Software Center? Stability? Fast? Sharp? Clean? Seamless? Staying completely at bay while delivering every tool I need quickly and without complaint?

KDE has that in spades!

4 days later and I've reloaded my work and personal laptop with the KDE spin of Fedora 26 and I'm not looking back.

My only complaint, if it's even a complain: TOO many options!! So many personal choices to make, and I'm now on the search for a way to copy my desktop choices from laptop to laptop.

Anyway....great job KDE team! My favorite desktop to date! I look forward to finding out what else KDE can do for me!

PS: one more amazing thing is how quickly KDE fails. Seriously. In Dolphin I have a "mapped drive" setup for work, only available via VPN, and historically when I did that my machine would die trying to attach to a share that wasn't accessible, but not KDE/Dolphin! I can keep my drives "mapped" and if they aren't available, i can just move on!!
orlandos
Registered Member
OS

Re: KDE is awesome!

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:05 pm
Woah there, you seem overly enthusiastic about KDE (Which is fine ;) ).

KDE has always been my favorite desktop environment, even in the cluttered old versions.
and It's nice seeing new users coming.

Welcome, to the world of KDE
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:01 pm
I agree: KDE is awesome!
I've been using it for years and as much trouble as I've ever had with it or as much curiosity as I've had to try other things (most notably Enlightenment), I keep coming back to KDE.

There certainly are a lot of options, but you can usually ignore most of them most of the time: "Simple by default, powerful when needed." That's in stark contrast to other desktop's one-size-fits-all (it doesn't really).

As for copying the "Personal Choices" between machines, that's generally just a matter of copying the appropriate config files or folders. Generally, KF5 apps (i.e. Plasma Desktop and associated KDE applications) store their config files in subfolders of ~/.config

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:17 pm
The KDE community is awesome, and the software the community makes is often top of the class. Plasma 5.11 is the best yet! <3