This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

What mobile phone to buy now?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
markum
Registered Member

What mobile phone to buy now?

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:55 am
I have postponed buying a new mobile phone now for quite a while since I wanted to wait for a meego phone from Nokia. Now since Nokia has been bought by Microsoft, I think it does not make much sense to wait much longer. Unless Nokia announces a Meego phone very soon.
So what could be the alternatives? I am definitely not buying Windows and I am also not a fan of the closed enviroment of an Iphone. Does anyone have some ideas/ experiences? I want a phone to work well with KDE / Linux in the sense of synchronisation of the data (contacts, notes, bookmarks, passwords) on it. I would also like to use the 3G connection it has for my laptop from time to time. I am not a developer, but still I would like the environment to be as open as possible so that I can install whatever cool things developers produce not limited by a company policy. I really would have liked to install KDE apps, but since the Meego perspective is rather unclear it seems there will be now availability for this anytime soon. I wont buy a symbian phone either. This is for sure.
So is there any alternative to Android? And if not, which is the best Android phone to buy? I would like to have one with a real keyboard and a touch screen. It should be possible to install one of those custom firmware builds which get rid of Google spyware.

Any comments and suggestions welcome!

Markum

markum, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.