This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

All-in-one Themes

Votes
Tags: themes, theme, scheme, schemes, icons, emotions, colors, decorations, desktop, splash, background, login, wallpapers themes, theme, scheme, schemes, icons, emotions, colors, decorations, desktop, splash, background, login, wallpapers themes, theme, scheme, schemes, icons, emotions, colors, decorations, desktop, splash, background, login, wallpapers
(comma "," separated)
mbnoimi
Registered Member
OS

All-in-one Themes

Tue May 21, 2013 4:53 am
KDE allows the users to customize their UI looking through:
  1. System Settings -> Application Appearance -> Colors -> Get New Scheme
  2. System Settings -> Application Appearance -> Icons -> Get New Themes
  3. System Settings -> Application Appearance -> Colors -> Get New Scheme
  4. System Settings -> Application Appearance -> Emotions -> Get New Icon Themes
  5. System Settings -> Workspace Appearance -> Window Decorations -> Get New Decorations
  6. System Settings -> Workspace Appearance -> Cursor Theme -> Get New Theme
  7. System Settings -> Workspace Appearance -> Desktop Theme -> Get New Themes
  8. System Settings -> Workspace Appearance -> Splash Screen -> Get New Themes
  9. System Settings -> Login Screen -> General
  10. System Settings -> Login Screen -> Background
  11. System Settings -> Login Screen -> Theme
  12. Desktop -> Folder View Options -> View -> Get New Wallpapers
Many places for that customization... I'm wondering why KDE didn't put a button for getting All-in-one Themes without looking into tons of places?!
ReedWood
Registered Member
OS

Re: All-in-one Themes

Tue May 21, 2013 8:00 am
Especially with the new theme-packs or how they are called this would be a nice move.
mbnoimi
Registered Member
OS

Tue May 28, 2013 11:14 pm
Guys, do you think it's suitable feature to ask for it?
fakd
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:41 pm
mbnoimi wrote:KDE allows the users to customize their UI looking through:
  1. System Settings -> Application Appearance -> ...
  2. System Settings -> Workspace Appearance -> ...
  3. System Settings -> Login Screen -> ...
  4. [Wallpapers]
Many places for that customization... I'm wondering why KDE didn't put a button for getting All-in-one Themes without looking into tons of places?!
Well, as you might notice they are in different location because they actually change different things...
Imagine for example you buy yourself a new car, but you couldn't choose seat, car, radio and speedometer color independently, but instead you have to choose sets of these colors which others thought they would look cool. This would suck, wouldn't it? See, thats why you can choose these colors (and even more) independently when you buy a new car and when you use KDE. :-)

So that said, when your request is to get rid of the individual settings, this for sure is not going to happen.

If you request to have additional an All-in-one Theme, one could think about it.
This is also possible of today somehow (but not in systemsettings), for example in my distro (chakra) there is after the very first login a desktop greeter, which guides you through some settings and one point you can also choose a theme, which affects plasma *and* application appearance.
jensreuterberg
Registered Member
OS

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:55 pm
I'll repost what I posted in the thread I did about the same subject here:
Ok so I've looked around and haven't found anything like this thing so I thought I might throw it out here - would a meta-theme function work? Like I have KDE (Mint in my case) running on both my laptop and my desktop. The installation was a breeze but then I spent about three hours changing everything to my liking. Details of it didn't work out (like different background on different panels) but I rolled with it. Then I had to reinstall the laptop and realized I had another three hours of it infront of me. Now it was a tad quicker since I could set ut up next to the desktop and just slowly click through every option in every field, download the same extensions and plasmoids, replace the same objects and set up the same colours and I thought: there should be a "mega theme".

One single theme setting which, when downloaded rearranged the entire desktop to the theme parameters, downloaded the same plasmoids and set everything up according to its predefined settings. After which the user can go in, change the tiny details and bits he or she don't like in the usuall manner. The megatheme would probably be one big honking edit and take a while and you'd have to do it for each distro. Like "here are the Mint 15 KDE Megathemes" on KDE-look or some place similar, you download and it completely rearrange your desktop to fit specific design choices made by whomever did it. It could work as a way for distros to set up a group of distro-specific design options and would work as an example of how flexible KDE Plasma is and considering one of the gripes some people (including me) have with KDE is that its "not fitting our personal aesthetic tastes" and even though this can be changed, a megatheme (I can't stop saying it and in my mind its like a voice over in Independence Day or something... "megatheme!") would make it ten times easier - just a click and a long wait.

... or have I missed that this is something that already exists?

The idea of a theme pack seems clever - perhaps combined with a site like kde-look or a KDE version of the gnome add-ons page if "less in the computer the better". The flexibility of KDE is amazing. BUT that flexibility is almost impossible to implement when all different choices are too complex.
My current favorite feature is the common desktop theme which has what I think is a genius idea of configuration where you can pick various parts from other themes and add to your own. Something like that but for a megatheme, metatheme, all-in-one-theme (or whatever it could be called).

A distro makes a set of metathemes that you can choose from, to theme their own KDE experience in the way they think it should be themed. In the metatheme you can then click your way through the details of the themes installed. Like "colour from Mint" and "Panel background from Chakra theme 5" and "Oxyfaenza Icons". That way further theming could even be tucked away more extensively. Perhaps even creating a "advanced tab" where you can do the current minimanagement?

KDE Visual Design Group - "Sexy by default - Powerful through cooperation"