This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Okular:Add option to change middle mouse click to autoscroll

Votes
Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
SQAR
Registered Member
Currently middle click and drag zooms in/out. I can easily change zoom level using the toolbar. After years of using middle click to activate autoscrolling in Firefox, Chrome, Steam, MS Word and many other programs, not having the option in Okular feels wrong to me. I'd love to see this option added.
Kresimir
Registered Member
OS
I just recently started using Okular and I really miss this feature, too. It's a pity, because Okular is such a great PDF viewer in every other regard.

Now, I understand that many Okular users are used to the present functionality of zooming with the middle mouse button, so, if ever implemented, autoscroll would have to be an option in the settings that can be turned on or off.

Currently running Plasma 5.26.3 on Arch Linux (as of November 2022, the signature could be outdated by now).
lueck
Mentor
https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kdegraph ... ating.html

If you want to read a document with several pages use the automatic scrolling feature of Okular. Start automatic scrolling with Shift+Down Arrow or Shift+Up Arrow. Then use these keys to increase and decrease the scrolling speed. You can start or stop automatic scrolling temporarily by pressing the Shift key; pressing any other key deactivates this feature.
Kresimir
Registered Member
OS
There are two problems with only being able to use the keyboard to activate autoscroll:
- it requires having a keyboard nearby (also, it is not very accessible)
- it is very slow and not responsive (so not really suitable for navigating around the document quickly: in fact, the maximum autoscrolling speed is even slower than simply holding down the up or down arrow keys)

A setting to change the middle mouse click behaviour from zooming to a more traditional autoscroll (like in Firefox, with autoscroll enabled, for example) would be a very welcome addition.

Currently running Plasma 5.26.3 on Arch Linux (as of November 2022, the signature could be outdated by now).
mattwheeler
Registered Member
I am so deeply programmed to use the center button to scroll. Having this tied to zoom is quite disruptive to my workflow.

Upvote!
ge
Registered Member
This is still needed please!!!

+1

Linux users don't know what they are missing without middle mouse click for scrolling.
But seriously all windows users are likely used to middle click scrolling (maybe even mac users). Not everyone uses this behavior but many do.

Reasons it's useful
-When zoomed in already middle click works for scrolling side to side or even diagonally.

-It is less travel time compared to moving your mouse all the way to the right side of the screen during purely mouse operation just to drag the scroll bar gui. (Hand is already probably on the mouse also)

-It scrolls faster and more precise compared to using the keyboard arrows in most programs.
soltik
Registered Member
Look out for fading, scratches, dents, loose parts and damaged hinges. It is also worth looking at the pedals what to look for in a used piano
ge
Registered Member
^^
what are you talking about?

Is that some sort of passive aggressive jab or are you in the wrong place?
kde-devin
Registered Member
+1 for autoscrolling too.

And holding down the space bar to pan (or activate using the keyboard shortcut "p") before using the left mouse button. Usually I'd pan when viewing something in PDF and need to move around instead of adjusting the Zoom level or using the horizontal/vertical scrollbars.

And set the shortcut letter "z" to "zoom" by default.

Ideally I'd like Okular to mimic the same shortcuts/behaviors as we're accustomed to using Adobe Acrobat.