This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Change Volume with mouse wheel

Votes
Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kiarfuzzy
Registered Member

Change Volume with mouse wheel

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:57 pm
I've been using Volumouse on windows since forever, but i can't find any reliable alternative for linux. It would be nice if you could implement this into kde.

What is Volumouse? It's a program that helps you adjust the volume using the mouse wheel. There is also an alternative to it with more features, called Volume2.

You can use both to assign a key or button and when you keep it press and spin the mouse wheel the volume changes, no matter where the mouse pointer is or in what app you are.
This is very useful to easily adjust the volume, i personally use Right Mouse button + Mouse wheel, because is the best option, I always have my hand on the mouse so i can instantly adjust the volume anytime I need / want.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: Change Volume with mouse wheel

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:31 pm
In the age of media keys and an ever-present volume icon in the system tray, I would consider this of limited benefit. Granted it could be nice for those who don't have media keys on their keyboard, and for whom navigating down to the system tray icon is inconvenient.

More generally, though, being able to set up additional mouse triggers in System Settings would be nice. I know Enlightenment provides an incredibly thorough mouse shortcut system where you should be able to define these kinds of mouse actions.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
kiarfuzzy
Registered Member

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:55 pm
Well if you don't use it it's kind of difficult to understand how useful it is. As i said in first post i am most of the time with my hand on the mouse and it's easier to adjust volume just from mouse that moving on hand to press Fn key and the other had to press the arrows.

It's just very really handy to use just mouse in every day use situations like watching a youtube video, a movie or when you play a game.

I added it on bugs.kde.org too, maybe i have more luck with it there, since devs seem to not visit this forum to often.
pzimdevdata
Registered Member

Wed May 03, 2023 6:52 am
Hi there,

I have made Volumouse for Linux as you wish with config's options.

Look at this :
https://github.com/pzim-devdata/volumouse :)