This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Dolphin/Plasma] Drag & Drop Context Menu Options

Votes
Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
advice
Registered Member
Before I begin, please just remember that I am just making a request to add the OPTION for this, I am in NO way requesting that this be "the way it should be for everyone".
I believe the way this currently functions should absolutely be the default setting, but just looking to have the OPTION for users who prefer a different setting that is all, so to vote against this wouldn't make much sense, because NOTHING will change for those who enjoy the current functionality.
Thank You

Drag & Drop Context Menus
Just looking to give the user the OPTION to be able to choose the behavior of how drag & drops are handled.

This option can be added to Settings in either the "General Behavior" or "Mouse" category.
It could look very similar to options seen in "Settings - Window Management - Window Behavior" in the tabs for "Titlebar Actions" & "Window Behavior" where it shows mouse options for assigning Left, Middle, Right buttons with a drop down menu to assign a function to each.
The modifiers Shift (Move), Ctrl (Copy) & Alt (Link) actions would remain the same.

The settings could look / function similar to the following.....

Drag & Drop Behavior:
Left Click - ______________
Middle Click - ______________
Right Click - ______________

With a drop down menu with the following options available for each button....
Move
Copy
Link
Context Menu (the current d&d actions context menu linked to LMB by default)
*Move if local / Copy if separate device

*Move if local / Copy if separate device
(Not something that I am personally need but) their was originally a concern by developers about being able to make MOVE action for same drive and COPY action when D&D content to other drives, but it was implied that this could not be figured out how to do so. Other DE such as XFCE, Cinnamon, Mate, etc. have all been able to achieve this, so it is possible in Linux, not sure if someone could analyze their source code if needed to see how this was achieved, to replicate it in KDE if desired by other users, but not necessarily needed.
If this is figured out, could add as option in drop down list to give user ability to choose this behavior as well.
If this cannot be figured out hopefully the overall option I am requesting in this post would still be considered to be added, because it would still be nice for users to be able to choose between the other options.
The current functionality of showing a context menu will still be the default so user would have to make the choice and would then know how their drag & drops would be handled. Could add a little message/warning where d&d setting is added if developers think it is needed.

Thank You to whoever reads all of this and for hopefully considering what I am proposing.
Put quite a bit of effort into this post, please (if possible) do not quickly close it, please let users see it as long as possible. Just curious to see how others will respond to it to get an idea of what kind of environment this is. Have quite a few idea/requests to share for Dolphin, but I guess that will all depend how this one goes.
Below I will post some more info but not necessary to read if not interested.
advice
Registered Member
First off, Plasma & Dolphin are amazing, the KDE team in general seems to do everything quite perfectly overall, everything seems to be extremely well thought out. Don't get me wrong I have tons of ideas to share (mainly for Dolphin), but everything implemented is done so well, everything just makes sense, which believe me is not something I say often.
So thank you so much to the whole KDE team for all the great work, the effort shows in each one of your projects.

This topic is not specific to Dolphin as it applies globally throughout Plasma, but it is mainly experienced in Dolphin. I have seen other mentionings about this, one was shot down in the way it was presented and the other was mentioned back in.... 2011 and unfortunately never really went anywhere.

This one is a tough one for me personally, this is an action that I use very often and I just can't seem to get used to it. I am hoping so much for this option to be added, I want to use Plasma so badly, as mentioned it is overall rather perfect, just looking for a couple more features for Dolphin, including this one.

KDE is so well known for always providing its users with so many options / settings to be able to customize everything to their personal needs, which is one of the reasons why their projects are often the best. Many other projects seem to be very confining, only offering one specific way of doing things and if you do not like those decisions then you have to find other solutions elsewhere. The KDE team seems to operate under the idea of freedom of choice and customization, you guys are always willing to spend the time and attention to detail to offer users many options to tailor things to their liking, which is what I love about all KDE projects, generally everything that is added always has an option to be altered/hidden/removed if not desired which is a great perspective to have so that users do not get alienated with each added feature.

Again I would NOT want the default way currently to be altered in ANY way, even though it is not my personal preference, that would make me just as upset because I would not want to mess up anyone elses way of working / what they are used to just for my own personal gain. That is why having the option would allow users to choose if desired, that way everyone could be happy :)

Obviously not going to be possible, but was hoping to see something like this before the Debian 12 release so that could experience this sooner, Linux is very tricky when it comes to certains things like this because if using "stable" releases you won't be able to experience features like this for 2 years and if things are not added within those 2 years, you have to wait another.... 2 years, so even now it feels strange that I am requesting / hoping for something that won't be potentially available until June of 2025, which is weird because who knows what will be going on then.

Anyways, please consider this one as soon as possible, cannot tell you how much this one means to me and hopefully others. Please vote for this one if interested.
Thanks Again

Last edited by advice on Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
advice
Registered Member
Apologize for the long posts but figured I would share how I would setup my d&d actions in the future if this option was added (if anyone is interested).

LMB = Move
LMB+Ctrl = Copy
LMB+Alt = Link
RMB = Context Menu

I am just so used to d&d being a quick simple action, MOVE is the action that I would use the most personally.

Also like the idea that a single RMB click calls up the files context menu and that a RMB drag action could then be set to the d&d actions context menu (that is default assigned currently to LMB d&d) so all my RMB functions would be context menu related.
advice
Registered Member
Again how is this possible?
Their was a similar post (not by me) on the bug tracker site that had over 120 votes for this and I think it is no longer on that site, someone deleted it?
How can it be possible that not a single person would want the option to turn these context menus off?
KDE Plasma is practically perfect which I rarely am able to say in Linux, to me these context menus make actions feel a little clunky to use, it is an extra step for simple actions. I was not expecting everyone to agree as I know some like them but strange that not a single vote just to have this option added?
I still can't understand why in KDE which is known for endless custom settings, why their would not be an option to turn them off for users who don't want them. As mentioned I would want them linked to a RMB drag & drop like in Windows, that would be perfect!
I was really hoping for some votes on this one, just surprised.