This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Minimize all but current

Votes
Tags: kwin kwin kwin
(comma "," separated)
Angel Blue01
Registered Member
OS

[KWin] Minimize all but current

Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:12 pm
While its very easy to minimize all windows in KDE (there's a plasmoid for this), and every window has a minimize command if it makes sense to have one, I noticed there's no way to minimize all but the current window.

I think that should be an option in the window menu (which contains options like placing the window always on top or bottom).

This would make the use of the Restore button more logical: by minimizing all the other windows and restoring the current one, its easy to drag from the current window onto the desktop for example.

Last edited by bcooksley on Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proudly dual-booting openSUSE 11.1 with KDE 4.3 and Windows Vista on a Toshiba A205-S4577 since July 2007.
waldelf
Registered Member
OS

Minimize all but current

Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:26 pm
what about an aero shake like implementation?

Kubuntu 12.04 x64 | KDE SC 4.8
Nvidia 8800 GTS | Core2Duo E6600 | 4 GB RAM
Google [Bot]
Registered Member

Minimize all but current

Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:56 pm
Hm. Aero shake is interesting, but somewhat useless, at least in its current state. It also can be annoying to trigger on a notebook. Instead, I think it would be cool to add right and middle click actions to the minimize button:

Left-Click: Minimize Current Window
Middle-CLick: Minimize All but Current Application (ex. All Firefox windows stay open)
Right-Click: Minimize All but Current Window

This would be easier to activate than the "Shake" feature, and could also be useful for weird MDI's like GIMP.
Angel Blue01
Registered Member
OS

Minimize all but current

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:43 pm
I'm not particularly concerned about the implementation, as long as a keyboard shortcut can be mapped to it.

It might be best to just have it in the window operations menu (the one activated by clicking the application's icon in its titlebar).

Proudly dual-booting openSUSE 11.1 with KDE 4.3 and Windows Vista on a Toshiba A205-S4577 since July 2007.
ahfac
Registered Member
OS

Re: Minimize all but current

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:21 pm
First of all, sorry for resurrecting such an old thread.
However, this one seems to be the only result for "minimize all but current". I'm also not sure if, when the thread's author mentioned "Keep above others", he thought of the same solution as described below.

So, it's a simple workaround: One just needs to set a keyboard shortcut to KWin's "Keep above others", and another one for "Show desktop" (either the Plasmoid or the one listed in Global Shortcuts).

In my case, the keyboards are Meta + X and Meta + D.
Works perfectly, and is even preferred than the tedious mouse gesture in Windows 7's "Aero shake".
cuser
Registered Member

Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:33 pm
I think an even more powerful solution is to move that one "important" window to a new predifined plasma activity, (e.g called 'important').
If all focus is needed for that single application, you can even temporarily deactivate all other activities. Depending on your needs that may include muting notifications and alarms of apps only active in standby plasma activities.
Lachu
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:47 pm
Maybe I not understood you. Do you wanna minimize all windows but current and next drag current onto another virtual desktop? Maybe, better, add possibility to move current window onto new virtual desktop and maximize it? I hear this feature is under Mac. And I think, you can install extension for it already for Plasma5.

Lachu, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
tonerudez
Registered Member

Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:19 am
I'm not particularly concerned about the implementation, as long as a keyboard shortcut can be mapped to it. https://panoramacharter.ltd/
https://19216811.vin/
sufnakaii
Registered Member

Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:06 am
I think that should be an option in the window menu (which contains options like placing the window always on top or bottom). teatv

download apk

Last edited by sufnakaii on Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dzon
Registered Member

Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:41 pm
Perfectly possible. This one's for the onlyone https://store.kde.org/p/1112543
Desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Comment[nl_BE]=
Comment=
Exec=/path/to/script/onlyOne.sh
GenericName[nl_BE]=onlyOne
GenericName=onlyOne
Icon=bqm-remove
MimeType=
Name[nl_BE]=Toggle onlyOne
Name=Toggle onlyOne
NoDisplay=false
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-DBUS-ServiceName=
X-DBUS-StartupType=
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

Script:
#!/bin/bash
current=`kreadconfig5 --file kwinrc --group Plugins --key onlyOneActiveWindowEnabled`

if [ $current = "true" ]; then
kwriteconfig5 --file kwinrc --group Plugins --key onlyOneActiveWindowEnabled false
elif [ $current = "false" ]; then
kwriteconfig5 --file kwinrc --group Plugins --key onlyOneActiveWindowEnabled true
fi

qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin reconfigure

This one's to use with xdotool:

#!/bin/bash

active_window_id=$(xdotool getactivewindow)
for window_id in $(xdotool search --onlyvisible ".*")
do
if [ $window_id != $active_window_id ]
then
xdotool windowminimize $window_id
xdotool getactivewindow windowmove 25% 25%

fi
done

There's also the shake script: https://store.kde.org/p/1333783/ I posted about this stuff before: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=174970&p=455229&hilit=onlyone#p455229

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.