This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Only forum.kde.org related discussions fall in the scope of the Forum Feedback area. Please take a minute to find the appropriate section for your query before posting here.

help translating website to spanish

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
carlosestensser
Registered Member
OS

help translating website to spanish

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:35 pm
Can I help with the translation of the website to spanish?
It's awfully incomplete.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
Sure you can :) The translation files are some php files which actually only hold the strings and their translations, so not much knowledge about php needed.
The only thing you would need is a bit of knowledge about how to use git. See https://projects.kde.org/projects/websi ... repository for our projects archive.
The ongoing work is done in the "experimental" branch. Under "language/es/" you will find all the files that are needed for spanish translation.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
carlosestensser
Registered Member
OS
Sorry for the delay in the reply. I was never notified. :( (I probably just forgot to turn it on)
I see the files.

Do I necessarily have to follow all the ssh-svn steps in
http://techbase.kde.org/Contribute/Get_ ... or_Account
to contribute a few lines of translation? :-\
sayakb
Administrator
OS
Translation using the PHP files is somewhat complicated. So I created this tool here: localize/
Basically, you can select the files from the drop menu, then select "es" in the second one to populate existing Spanish translations. You can make the changes and click on the "Generate..." button at the bottom.

Save the generated text in the php file with the same name and directory structure. For example, mods/info_acp_vote.php goes into the mods folder, etc. Then you can create a tarball and send it to us (see email address in the footer).

Let me know if the tool misbehaves. Thanks :)

carlosestensser
Registered Member
OS
That look easy sayab.
However: what if I am translating a long file (vg. common) and I can't finish it in one session (which is most likely to happen, since I have brief periods (3x10 mins.) to dedicate to this everyday)?
sayakb
Administrator
OS
I didn't think about that! I'll try to implement a saving mechanism.

carlosestensser
Registered Member
OS
sayakb wrote:I didn't think about that! I'll try to implement a saving mechanism.

That's the difference between an architect and a bricklayer! :D
carlosestensser
Registered Member
OS
My stupidity amazes me everyday: what is the use in translating an english-only forum?
I'd better head to kde to enrol myslef as a translator.