This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Only forum.kde.org related discussions fall in the scope of the Forum Feedback area. Please take a minute to find the appropriate section for your query before posting here.

KDE identity real name; changing forum password

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dummytester
Registered Member
OS
The KDE Identity apparently requires your real name, and the username must be based upon that real name (so some combination of initials and names). The input validation is pretty strict. I don't really agree with this. If someone wants to be anonymous, the only way to stop them is to require a credit card or something like Facebook/LinkedIn. Of course I hope you don't get that idea. There are good reasons to be anonymous, and in this context it is rarely to flame. Mostly I do it because programming geeks are known not to suffer stupid questions lightly, and I don't want my real name being shown forever next to stupid questions. Sorry.

The next thing is that I can't seem to change my forum password. If I do the "forgot password" in the forum login, it tells me to log into KDE identity, which doesn't seem to have any way to look at my forum passwords. It probably should have a list of associated usernames (including the wiki one as well).

Incidentally, I've also had weird issues when signing up for the wiki, but I can't remember them now and I'm too tired to login right now.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
identity.kde.org serves as SSI (single sign in), which means, one account to log into all. So you can change your password there and use it to log in to the forum, the wikis or our other enabled services.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
And to answer the first part of your question: you don't have to use the same username in the forum as you do in identity.kde.org, so I don't see where the problem lies.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
dummytester
Registered Member
OS
The KDE Identity using my real name is a principle thing. It's an irritating barrier to participation.

If I should just use my KDE identity to sign in, why does the login page say this:
Log in using your KDE Identity username and password, or using your KDE Community forums credentials.

Is there a password associated with my forum username? I can't remember.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
Log in using your KDE Identity username and password, or using your KDE Community forums credentials.

(Highlight done by me)
The option of choice is from a time where we had both login options, but about a month ago we removed the forums own login. This should probably be removed indeed. But yes, you login with your username and password you have provided on identity.kde.org

Communicate.
dummytester
Registered Member
OS
Should I log that login wording somewhere for someone to fix it?

Also, I was looking for KDE Identity information - is there anything official? I'm curious about things like where my real name is exposed, what KDE Identity applies to and doesn't, and perhaps a bug report if I can reproduce the problems with my wiki login.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
dummytester wrote:Should I log that login wording somewhere for someone to fix it?

Not needed, i am now aware of it, and will fix it with the new roll out.
Also, I was looking for KDE Identity information - is there anything official? I'm curious about things like where my real name is exposed, what KDE Identity applies to and doesn't, and perhaps a bug report if I can reproduce the problems with my wiki login.

Your real name is used inside identity only for now, but also (if you are a kde developer) for your commits. Apart from that our services don't need the real name yet.
KDE Identity is just a plain LDAP directory, which initially was done to manage the contributor accounts. It was extended to also fullfill a SSO service for websites like this forum, the wikis, the dot.
As of now the only user sites that can use KDE Identity credentials are this forum, userbase.kde.org, techbase.kde.org, community.kde.org, then the dot (dot.kde.org).
Any possible new site needs to get authentication keys from KDE Identity so that it is able to connect to it, otherwise it won't work. So nothing can be exposed without us knowing.
Hope that answers some questions.

Communicate.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You may also wish to read the KDE Identity Privacy Policy, which explains some of these details. It can be found on the Identity site itself.
Just a clarification - it is also used by our Reviewboard instance (reviewboard.kde.org), Projects (projects.kde.org), Continuous Integration (build.kde.org), and the sprint manager (sprints.kde.org). It is not used (yet) by the Dot though.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]