This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Only forum.kde.org related discussions fall in the scope of the Forum Feedback area. Please take a minute to find the appropriate section for your query before posting here.

phpbb style?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
russh
Registered Member

phpbb style?

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:01 pm
Hey guys, awesome phpbb style.. easily the nicest I've seen. I'd love to use it on my own open-source project.. Can I nab it? ;-)

Have you guys coded it yourselves?
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Re: phpbb style?

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:30 pm
Thanks for the compliment.

Yes, this is a custom written theme, and also used on several other websites/CMS KDE uses.

Reusing it shouldn't be a problem in terms of permissions, but it is really highly customized to our certain use case.
And the styling parts are split off the phpbb repository we have, as those also are used for the other systems via our cdn.

You can find our phpbb repo at https://projects.kde.org/projects/websi ... um-kde-org
The styling is done in this repo: https://projects.kde.org/projects/websites/neverland

For a simple copy over this is too complicated, but if you are into that sort of setup, feel free to reuse and modify it to your needs.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
russh
Registered Member

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:15 pm
It really is quite an achievement, beautiful! Probably is beyond me true... but I'll try. Anyway - thanks again for the pointer to the repo.
michaeljohnson
Registered Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:03 pm
I'm totally with russh; this theme is, hands down, the most beautiful and sophisticated phpBB style I've ever seen.

I'd love to implement the beauty of this theme on my own forum--so thank you for sharing those repo links!--but I also completely see what you mean about it not being a quick copy-and-paste job. A lot of required/standard template files to make a phpBB style function aren't present in that Git link. I understandably know why, as how you explained much of Neverland's styling is universally used throughout the various branches of your site(s).

But would you consider packaging a pure, ready-to-work-out-of-the-box phpBB Neverland style for those who'd want to use it just for phpBB?

Probably a silly question to ask, but it never hurts to put it out there! Regardless, thanks for putting what you already do have on Git, it was a pleasant surprise for sure and know once more your phpBB theme should be a standard that all others, including the phpBB team themselves, should strive for in terms of visual polish and finish.

Oh, one last note to slightly contradict myself: The "preview" feature (that you can get when hovering over a thread row within a forum) doesn't work for me using Chrome browser (Version 24.0.1312.57 m) with Windows 7 SP1. The blue background fades in but no preview content ever emerges.

Great job again though guys!
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:09 pm
Wow, thanks a lot for the compliments. You know quite good what to say to convince someone, right? ;)

But indeed, lately i got a lot of requests for neverland, not only for our phpbb version, but also for our mediawiki skin. So i am indeed thinking about packaging a readymade solution. Not sure yet, how and where, but stay tuned.

Communicate.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:09 pm
And yes, the preview seems to be broken lately. Will be investigated.

Communicate.
michaeljohnson
Registered Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:26 pm
You and your team deserve all the praise!

Believe me when I say the phpBB themes that're out there for use or purchase are... well, they're definitely no Neverland. :)

I've made a theme for my boards which I quite like but dug myself into a hole to where it's been modified so heavily now that I cannot upgrade the software without breaking the whole boards! (D'oh!)

It was certainly a labor of love to make the theme at the time--and Lord knows how long it took me to make--but time stops for no man and life has a funny way of changing. It's a philosophical way of saying I really should keep phpBB software up to date (for security reasons, etc), but don't have time to make a new/updated style (besides, whatever I could make can't compete with the Neverland's UI and flow), and the default styles out their hurt my web eyes!

Anyway, I'll definitely be staying tuned and congrats one last time!
gamallw
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:19 am
Hello,

I know this is an old topic, but I'd like to reiterate that this is a really nice theme. Had it been available on the phpBB styles database, I'd have nabbed it in an instant. xD

I'm quite surprised there are not more requests for it; there are so few good themes for phpBB3...

Regards,
G.
Michael
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:47 am
I just wanted to chime in and say that the theme is a blast! Really nice design! Congratulations!

Michael, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct. / KaOS Linux user