This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Only forum.kde.org related discussions fall in the scope of the Forum Feedback area. Please take a minute to find the appropriate section for your query before posting here.

Moving Kdenlive forums

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jbm

Moving Kdenlive forums

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:36 am
Hello there.

We would like to move our forums ( http://kdenlive.org/forum ) to forum.kde.org, so that we can benefit from the KDE infrastructure.
Is it ok for you to create a Kdenlive entry in the Software > Multimedia catagory: viewforum.php?f=19

Currently we have many sub forums, I would like to clean it up a bit but firste wanted to know if it's ok for you?

Our website is currently having problems managing the load (probably also because of an outdated Drupal version), so we need to find a quick solution...

Importing the existing kdenlive.org forum data is not a top priority.

Thanks & regards
Jean-Baptiste Mardelle,
Kdenlive maintainer
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Re: Moving Kdenlive forums

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:07 pm
Hello jbm,

it's not okay, no...
you are certainly more than welcome to join the big family! :)
We have already imported several other forums into this one, though most of them came from phpbb or smf already, having to import a drupal forum would be new. Doesn't make it impossible though.

It is up to you to decide how to proceed.
Things to consider:
It is quite possible that a lot of your forum users are already active here as well. In the past, when we had conflicting accounts we made a second dummy account, which could be merged manually if the account holder requests it. That reduces the amount of "dead" accounts and improves the post count for those who are still active and on both forums.
Also be aware we are using the central identity login from KDE, a merge of the forums would not set those accounts up there, but only here. Another step to sign up on identity and merge forum and identity is possible.

The least we would need is your preferred structure and of course a (set of?) moderator(s).

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
jbm

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:43 am
Ok, thanks a lot.
Here is the structure we would like for our forums:
--------------------------------------
* General discussion
* Gallery

International:
* Kdenlive French
* Kdenlive German
----------------------------------------
You can put me as moderator, as well as avilla and eugster (these are their identity usernames). I will probably have 1-2 other moderators soon.
Not sure how to manage our existing drupal userbase ( > 11500 users), we probably have lots of spam / unused accounts.

I think maybe we can leave the existing forums as read only on Kdenlive's web site and start a fresh forum on KDE's forums.

Regards
ttguy
OS

Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:52 am
I think we should try and migrate the old posts if we can. I would be prepared to help out doing this - I am a database programer so might be able to bring some skills to the task. The main reason for migrating the old posts would be to keep the knowlege base that exists in the historical posts and that can be mined for data.

Many a time do I think - someone posted on this exact issue I am having now. What was the solution. I know I will search the forum.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:27 am
I have now provisioned the forum, and setup all the permissions needed for it to be usable.
With regards to importing the data - if the spam posts have been cleaned out, then we can ignore the spam accounts I think.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
ttguy
OS

Re: Moving Kdenlive forums  Topic is solved

Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:22 pm
Is there anyone actively working on a merge/ data migration from the drupal to phpBb3 for the kdenlive forums?
I have been looking into how we could do this and have made a little bit of progress using sandbox versions of drupal and phpbb3.
I think it is doable. And I am happy to give it a shot if no one else is active on this.
What vers of phpbb are we on here?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:25 pm
To my knowledge, there is nobody working on this.
We are currently on version 3.0.11.

Be aware we will also need to "renumber" the database we are merging, but that is not too complicated (we've done it before, and I think the scripts are still around somewhere).

KDE Sysadmin
ttguy
OS

Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:46 am
Right then. So you are on pretty much the latest stable version.

I found a half completed script for migrating drupal to phpbb. But it was for a very old drupal version. But it is a good start.

I have a .php script that at the moment can migrate drupal users to phpbb and then the user can request a password reset from the phpbb. And this works on my sandbox. Not sure how it would go on the forum.kde version when you seem to have two user names per user. eg - I am both rmorton and ttguy on this board. So I don't know how to deal with that.

My script inserts users in the php_users and php_user_group table and creates them with user_ids above the current max user_id. Is this the sort of thing you mean by "renumbering" the database?

I am going to see if I can also migrate forum posts and link them with their authors next.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:58 am
Yes, that would accomplish the same thing that renumbering would.
With regards to the two usernames - one is the normal phpbb username, and another is the Identity username. The Identity linking procedure can be done post-migration.

KDE Sysadmin
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:30 am
@ttguy:
If you are able to, you are welcome to join us in our IRC channel #kde-www on freenode, so we can talk about progress or problems in realtime :)

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
ttguy
OS

Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:08 pm
I have made really good progress on my data migration script.
I have a copy of the old kdenlive forum database and have been able migrate whole swathes of posts into my sandbox phpbb3 forum database.
I am now working on making the front end of my php script decent - adding pick lists where you can specify what forum is migrated to what forum.
And this is going well too.
But unfortunately I am catching a plane to a land of sunshine tommorow morning and thus work on this project will cease for a week and a half. I was really hoping to have it finished before I left. But I have to sleep and work an actuall job.
It shoud be finished in the few days after I get back from vacation - so figure two weeks.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:08 pm
Okay, looking forward to seeing the results here.

KDE Sysadmin
ttguy
OS

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:09 pm
Getting closer on the migration of the old forums. But I a missing a target location for some of them.
So can we have another Group of forums called Kdenlive Contributions. And in that can we have two sub forums
Documentation
and
Development

Here is how I propose to migrate the old forums -
Old forum >Proposed new forum
Contribution Forums - Kdenlive brainstorming> Kdenlive General - Kdenlive General Discussion
Contribution Forums - Kdenlive Live DVD> Kdenlive General - Installation
Contribution Forums - News> Kdenlive General - Kdenlive General Discussion
Contribution Forums - Plug-ins and add-ons development> Kdenlive Contributions – Development
Contribution Forums - Publishing video tutorials> Kdenlive Contributions – Documentation
Contribution Forums - Translation management> Kdenlive Contributions – Development
Contribution Forums - Website development> Kdenlive Contributions – Documentation
Contribution Forums - Writing documentation> Kdenlive Contributions – Documentation
Users Forums - Audio Effects> Kdenlive General - Audio
Users Forums - Bug reports> Kdenlive General - Kdenlive General Discussion
Users Forums - Forum francophone> Kdenlive International - Kdenlive French
Users Forums - General questions and announcements> Kdenlive General - Kdenlive General Discussion
Users Forums - Installation from binary packages> Kdenlive General - Installation
Users Forums - Installation from source> Kdenlive General - Installation
Users Forums - Kdenlive Theatre> Kdenlive General - Kdenlive Gallery
Users Forums - Rendering> Kdenlive General - Rendering Codecs & Formats
Users Forums - Video Effects and Transitions> Kdenlive General - Video Effects & Transitions
ttguy
OS

Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:15 am
This has been completed.
See this post for details.