This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Only forum.kde.org related discussions fall in the scope of the Forum Feedback area. Please take a minute to find the appropriate section for your query before posting here.

Guided discussion lacks option for KDE startup problems

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
atorrey
Registered Member
Guided discussion lacks option for KDE startup problems - The guided posting thing that you get when posting a new thread (which IMHO is a great idea) lists a lot of applications, but doesn't seem to have an option for problems with the KDE system, or problems with getting it to start - the issue I'm having... :(

It seems like something that would be good to add since my problem is not with any single app, but rather getting KDE itself to start properly so that I can run any apps...

Thanks,
ART
Mamarok
Manager
OS
That is most likely a distribution problem, then, you should report this to your distribution's forum instead.

Strange, as I haven't heard of such problems in a while. Please make sure you use the latest version of your distribution to start with.

FWIW: it is helpful to know which distribution and which KDE release version you are using, please always provide this basic information in any requests.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Hans
Administrator
OS
Note that there is no "KDE" anymore, KDE is a community that makes software. You problem would probably fall under "KDE workspace", I'll see if we can add that to Guided Posting.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
atorrey
Registered Member
I am running Kubuntu 12.04.03 (the Latest LTS release) and had posted a thread on the Kubuntu forum before I came here - the folks over there seemed stumped, and at least some of the symptoms seemed more like a KDE issue - I will go into that further in the thread I started...

Hans, I think I did end up picking the workspace option, but only because it seemed like the "least bad" option - it was definitely not an intuitive choice. It might be more clear if there was an option like "KDE environment" or "non-application related"...

While the KDE community may think of itself as an entity that makes software - as a user I look at KDE (at least on GNU/Linux I don't use those other defective by design O/S's ), as a window managing environment - as opposed to Gnome or LXE, etc... So I tell people that I run KDE on GNU/Linux, and do still consider KDE as an entity in and of itself - even if it's just the framework that I run applications in, and that a problem with the framework is different than a problem with the applications...

ART
Hans
Administrator
OS
And that's exactly what the workspace is - the "stuff" that that "runs around" your applications. That includes the window manager (KWin), desktop and panels (Plasma), run command (KRunner), etc.

The problem with calling it "KDE" is because many thought of KDE as one big thing - e.g. thinking that you can't run KDE application outside of a "KDE environment". In reality there is no such environment. That's why it was split into KDE Platform (to become Frameworks), KDE Applications, and KDE Plasma Workspaces. All of those are KDE software.

It may seem strange now after being used to call it "KDE" for so long, but e.g. the login manager says "KDE Plasma Workspace" now. So it's best to be consistent with the naming.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts