This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Only forum.kde.org related discussions fall in the scope of the Forum Feedback area. Please take a minute to find the appropriate section for your query before posting here.

New "Mission" section as part of/next to Brainstorm

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
Hi Forum moderators, I wrote to the www list about this, but that seemed to be the wrong place. Recently Peter Grasch wrote to the KDE-Community list about an idea a bunch of us cooked up at Akademy. [1]

Partial quote from Peter's original proposal:

"What we have come up with is a proposal to reuse part of Brainstorm, and extend that in a new direction. We envision a unified place where developers aggregate "missions" of different size and scope. This place is meant to be the go-to place for people who want to get involved with KDE, accessible through a prominent "get involved" link on kde.org.

The kind of "missions" we envision are:

* Junior Jobs
* GSoC, SoK, GCi
* new team members wanted
* specific areas needing attention
* applications and libraries needing maintainers

Brainstorm is a place for users to dream about cool stuff, and even vote up the ideas. What has been missing is developer buy-in, as we
understand it. Right now there is a section in Brainstorm called In Development. What we are proposing is to launch Mission on the Forum
as well. Project managers could close threads and link to the new Mission.

This could also be a place to integrate idea generation for GSoC projects, Summer of KDE , even GCi tasks, possibly allowing users to
rate them in importance. If we can get in the habit of doing this all year round, getting ready for GSoC, SoK, and GCi will be easier.

We have our first mission, once this is created on the Forum: https://blogs.kde.org/2014/08/16/konque ... maintainer "

The sooner we get this up and running, the sooner we can draw new contributors into our community.

We were inspired by the success of the VDG team here on the forums. The answers to so many problems seem to be that we need to grow our teams by getting new contributors. Using the forums has worked for the VDG, and we think it makes sense that it will work for the KDE community as a whole.

What do you think? How can we best move ahead on this?

Valorie

1. http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-commu ... 01010.html

neverendingo
Administrator
OS
(Follow-up from a discussion on IRC)

It is absolutely possible to set up a new forum dedicated to "The Mission" and move topics out of brainstorm. This new forum would be a plain forum and everybody can post there, so devs would also be able to directly post new missions.

The tagging system enables us to assign threads to certain topics (like GCI, GSoC, etc). And i think we also have a simple voting system in place that we can assign.

This solution does not yet include a bridge to mailinglists/bugzilla, so a certain dedication from developers would be needed.

Would that work for you?

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
Hi admins, we've gotten no fresh feedback, so can we get this set up? I hear of more and more issues that KDE people can post as a Mission.

Valorie

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Just to be sure - we just need a plain forum here with open posting privileges to get this started?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
Yes. I've not filed a ticket yet because I've been busy with other things. I looked at Brainstorm, and I think we do not need that sort of special organization.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Okay. If we can get a ticket filed then setting that up should be fairly trivial to get sorted out.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]