This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Only forum.kde.org related discussions fall in the scope of the Forum Feedback area. Please take a minute to find the appropriate section for your query before posting here.

What about a subforum for KDE3?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
DanielW
KDE Developer
OS

What about a subforum for KDE3?

Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:35 pm
There are still a lot of KDE 3 users and KDE 3 is still supported by KDE.

So what about a KDE 3 subforum somewhere here? I know everyone can write KDE3 questions in the others topics but it would help those who are using KDE 3 to see that KDE 3 questions are ok and those who wants to help to see quickly that the question is KDE 3 related.

DanielW, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

RE: What about a subforum for KDE3?

Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:40 pm
I don't have the topic, but it was already discussed. And no, that wouldn't be an option. Think of all the current forums, duplicate them to have the same for kde3. So that would really be too much overhead.
But what about this:
Everybody posting a question could add something like [KDEx] to the title of the thread, so you can see on the first look on which version this will be based.
Or another solution:
We have a field in the profile, which version of KDE are you running. Then we could add that field to the author field of the posts. Haven't looked into that till now to see how easy that would be, but i would say it is possible.

Would that be okay for you?

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
DanielW
KDE Developer
OS

RE: What about a subforum for KDE3?

Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:01 am
neverendingo wrote:Would that be okay for you?

I think it is. Well this was just an idea. I am using KDE 4 from trunk since months now, so this it not really important to me.

But: There are a lot of users who get a wrong impression from the KDE website and some distros that KDE 3 is over no. But well KDE 3.5.10 is quite new (when only a "maintaince" release) and there are still a lot of 3.5 users out there. I just thought it would be good to avoid the feeling that this forum is only for KDE 4 (most posts are about KDE 4 here, so you can get the impression that using kde 3 is bad, but I can understand that there are people who say KDE 4 is not for me (yet). )

So somehow showing: "We are still there for KDE 3" would help those being afraid about KDE 4.

And well coping every forum to make a KDE 4 version would be to much anyway. I don't think there would be enough traffic to justify that.

DanielW, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.