This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Alternative for ksystraycmd

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Knurt Hildebrandt
Registered Member

Alternative for ksystraycmd

Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:11 am
I don't know when it got missing, but I suppose when I upgraded to Plasma 5. There used to be a useful command called "ksystraycmd" which I used to start non-kde programs at system startup. Some of these programs - and also some qt-based - don't minimize to the systemtray when started automatically at startup. Right now I've got this problem with "Pidgin", "Choqok" and "Teamdrive". That is why I excluded them from session management - saving and autostart - and started them separately in a script. These scripts do not work anymore. Interesting is, when I close them minimized and restart them after Plasma has been started and is running they start minimized. This holds true at least for "Pidgin" and "Choqok".

Any idea how I can start these programs minimized at system start without ksystraycmd?

Cheers

Knut
xwild
Registered Member

Re: Alternative for ksystraycmd

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:51 am
I found a workaround for this trouble.
Just copy "ksystraycmd" binary from KDE4 to "/usr/bin/", not sure how it works but it works.

At least now I can use "place to system tray" checkbox in desktop shortcuts settings.
I think It could be found in "kdebase" or similar package for a suitable architecture, I had a previous debian distribution with KDE4 installed and just copied it from there.

You can quickly test how it works by running something like this:
Code: Select all
user@T520:~$ ksystraycmd dolphin

Cannot creat accessible child interface for object:  PlacesView(0x556210e3a960)  index:  9
KSambaShare: Could not find smb.conf!

It throws some errors, but icons places ok, also there is a trouble with window position when you click a few times on the tray icon, the window tries to move to top and left corner, but for the certain application you can lock this using "special window parameters" in right menu click on window title.

kubuntu/debian user
Knurt Hildebrandt
Registered Member

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:59 pm
Hey xwild,

sounds interesting what you write. Unfortunately I have no KDE4 installed anymore. Kicked it out about half a year ago. Thus no way to come by it easily. Would you be so kind to upload your binaries here. It should not make a difference what distro they were compiled for.

Cheers

Knut
xwild
Registered Member

Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:35 am
It's "kde-workspace-bin" .deb package, for debian/ubuntu, you can download it here (scroll to the bottom of the page and select your architecture):
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/kde-workspace-bin
http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/kde-workspace-bin

kubuntu/debian user
Knurt Hildebrandt
Registered Member

Wed May 03, 2017 9:14 am
Hey xwild,

thanks for the tip. Unfortunately Ubuntu/Debian have a different repository structure than Arch based Chakra Linux. Thus I ran into a missing library problem or should I better say a problem with conflicting 32/64 bit versions. Eventually I managed to extract ksystraycmd from an old image of my KDE4 installation and now it works fine.

Knut
xwild
Registered Member

Wed May 03, 2017 10:42 am
Nice :)
At least now it's possible to find the confirmed solution on google for anyone.

UPDATE:
Also there is the "kdocker" package which is available in repositories, it allows to tray any appication by running it this way
kdocker <your_application>

But I have black background on trayed icons in my applications, so it's not a perfect solution, but it works without hacks.

kubuntu/debian user
cipricuscprq
Registered Member

Thu May 11, 2023 3:32 pm
xwild wrote:Nice :)
At least now it's possible to find the confirmed solution on google for anyone.

UPDATE:
Also there is the "kdocker" package which is available in repositories, it allows to tray any appication by running it this way
kdocker <your_application>

But I have black background on trayed icons in my applications, so it's not a perfect solution, but it works without hacks.

You can add a custom icon and set it to be remembered.