This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Only forum.kde.org related discussions fall in the scope of the Forum Feedback area. Please take a minute to find the appropriate section for your query before posting here.

User name with international characters

Tags: hungarian characters, question marks, username, accented characters hungarian characters, question marks, username, accented characters hungarian characters, question marks, username, accented characters
(comma "," separated)
Tamás
Registered Member
Hello,

When I created my account here I gave my name (Tamás, with an accent on the second "a") as username.
This Hungarian character was transformed to "??".
How may I change the username to remove these question marks?

And how can an image be added to my profile?

Thanks

Tamás
Hamid
Registered Member
There seems no mechanism for changing usernames. For some reason it was not accepting the usual username I use and after that it became a problem since I always use a predefined username with almost any website. This one stands out and causes annoyance when logging in. There should be a way to update.

Hamid
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I just updated your username, could be your character settings were not UTF when you tried to enter it, for me it displays correctly here now.
Hamid, please send me a PM and tell me what you want your username to look like. If it's a non-Western script, make sure you use UTF when you type it, so I can copy-paste it.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Tamás
Registered Member
Thanks, Mamarok!

Nice.

How may I add an image as an avatar to my profile?

(I ask you, as it seems, you know a lot and you can even modify things. Great!)

Greetings

Tamás
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Did you check your user settings? There is an entry "Edit Avatar", where you can add your image.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Hamid
Registered Member
Mamarock!

After continuing some correspondence with admins they took the trouble to update my username to that what is currently visible. Out of good heart I dropped a note to this fella I thought deemed himself unhappy, so that he had the same information I had after I had spent my precious time for finding a workaround. It looks like returning the obligation after the fact and being happy about one's character for that!

Hamid

P.S. Had I paid more deliberate notice to the Hungarian mention, I don't think I would have bothered for the kindness.