This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Only forum.kde.org related discussions fall in the scope of the Forum Feedback area. Please take a minute to find the appropriate section for your query before posting here.

KDE Neon

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
toad
Global Moderator
OS

KDE Neon

Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:10 pm
Hi,

forgive me for not being the quickest off the mark but at some stage this forum suddenly took support for Neon on board. Is there actually anybody on the forum staff who uses it?

I'd never heard of it before and literally don't know anything about it. Judging from the amount of problems posted and the lack of answers I just wonder whether it reflects badly on us (and, iirc, there was a post to that effect a few months back).

So, what I am really asking is whether we could just chuck it. Every other distro has its own forum normally located in a subdomain. This not only makes sense logistically but creates a sense of community.

To recapitulate:
1) KDE Neon was suddenly taken on board
2) does problem-answer ration it reflect badly on this forum?
3) does it hinder/harm sense of community for Neon/forum.kde.org users

Cheers and a good week to all!

toad

Debian testing
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Re: KDE Neon

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:19 pm
1) I think that January 2016 is not really "suddenly" but I do understand your thoughts on this.

2) I imagine, ideally, that general desktop related questions and issues really should be made in the various sub-topics under 'KDE Software', where they would get more eyeballs and attention, and hopefully change the question/answer ratio. However, distro-specific support questions seems to be a bit out of the scope of the official KDE forums, especially as Neon is a non-distro that does not really touch its base OS in any way. '

3) As someone who sort of feels like I am at least partially part of the Neon community, there really is not much of one there, at least not one that needs a web forum for support. While I like having one, I do wonder if there is a need for one, looking at the extremely small number of individuals posting here.

I don't know how to increase the user participation rate , which would also help in the question/answer ratio.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
toad
Global Moderator
OS

Re: KDE Neon

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:40 am
Ah, claydoh! Greetings and long time no see :) Thank you for taking the time to answer!

1) January 16? I knew I wasn't really quick off the mark but didn't realize we'd been taken over for that amount of time ;)

2) Looks like I should read up on Neon and its base OS - whichever that may be... However, I cannot reproduce many of the problems stated by Neon users and not having heard of their OS feel slightly disenfranchised - especially as they 'expect' answers from us, this being prized as their support forum.

3) Too few users/small a community? Lack of help on here certainly does not contribute to Neon's overall popularity.

I'm not trying to wake sleeping monsters here but am trying to understand how and why this Neon business ended up in my life, having joined a KDE forum.

Cheers,

toad

Debian testing