This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Only forum.kde.org related discussions fall in the scope of the Forum Feedback area. Please take a minute to find the appropriate section for your query before posting here.

KDE weekly classroom

Would you like a weekly classroom?

yes, please do it
100%
no, no need for that
No votes

Total votes : 51

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
einar
Administrator
OS

RE: KDE weekly classroom

Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:30 am
The plan is to have stuff of the coding and non-coding variety, so that everyone can ultimately aid KDE.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
michael4910
Alumni
OS

Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:45 am
I'm also looking forward to it - and I hope that some day I'll be able to be a tutor, too... ;-)
But so far I only play around with some Qt/C++ and still stumble on everything that's different from PHP... :-(

Already now: Thanks to all who get involved with this!

neverendingo wrote:changed [...]

oh, well - what have I done?? ;-)

michael4910, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:54 am
Neverendingo renamed the forum where classrooms will be held from "KDE Classrooms" to "Klassroom" that is all.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
michael4910
Alumni
OS

Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:13 am
@bcooksley: Yes, I did know. Shame on me for not knowing the English language well enough to make clear my irony... ;-)

michael4910, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:18 am
Your English was fine :-), I read things a little too seriously sometimes :shade:

KDE Sysadmin
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:40 am
Moult wrote:* Moult has subscribed.
Looking forward to the first topic! I'm wondering how advanced this will be. Eg: there are some downright newbies like me who have only touched C++ for a week, know nothing about Qt, and want to play around.

I think it'll be good for a general thread sorta thing to be posted in that forum as well like:
1) Get KDE-snapshots running, instead of 4.1. Here are a list of instructions per distro.
2) Here are some good resources for learning C++
3) Here is a good C++ IDE, and some tutorials on making simple applications
4) Here is how to choose a good bug to try and fix, and here is how to fix and commit patches.

I don't really know ;) I don't have the experience, but if somebody can write in more detail about this, awesome!

At first let me say this kourses are targeted for every possible contributor, not only the coder fraction.

So the idea is to get your feets wet with contributing something to KDE. The mentor will prepare something and give you everything you need to start and do something. That would for example mean what you mentioned, yes. Then you can discuss, exchange your ideas with the other students or simply ask questions to the mentor, till the specified target is met.

This kourses are roughly timebased, and after the target was met, the kourse will be closed. Of course it can be discussed elsewhere. But the kourse is finished.
The Target itself is/should be a target from the real world, so if you really attend, then the possibility is very high, that you have contributed your first part right after the kourse!

This is the idea, and we are working on fixing the last rough edges. But after the first kourses we will see for sure what can be done better. These are just our first steps with a new concept. Just stay with us and give feedback, so we can make it even better.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
Pol
Registered Member

Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:57 am
neverendingo wrote:Many of you might think it is hard to start to contribute to KDE. And this is where we want to jump in.

http://forum.kde.org/images/smilies/kde4/lightbulb.png It would be convenient to let people express about their preferred topics, to draw up the ready to start list of topics, possibly marked out with the level of difficulty.

I would like to learn about how to automatically save my session, when exiting from another user's kdm session.

P

Pol, member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
ComaWhite
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:04 pm
I like this idea for KDE. It makes it easier to contribute to such a great community :).

Question though, for the ones that are doing the programming. How does it exactly work. You give us each a differentbug to work on. If we are stumped then talk to you in some form ml?msger? or something else? We give you the a patch of it when we are done and you review it for submit?

Are you limited to one time only or are can you do it over and over?

Last edited by ComaWhite on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KDE Version: 4.6 (Beta 2) | Qt Version: 4.7.1
Aki IRC Developer http://www.akiirc.org/
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:08 pm
There will be a special forum / thread that only Staff ( Mentors included ) and students can comment, which is where you can post about problems you are having.

I believe you are each getting a different bug this time, then when you fix it I think you post it in the same forum / thread for review and committing by the Mentor. you should be able to try several times to successfully get an acceptable patch as well.

KDE Sysadmin
Pol
Registered Member

Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:53 am
I am rather interested in administering my kde system rather than programming and bug fixing. Would that area be covered by 'kourses'?
Topics, as suggested by users, could be highlighted for a given period of time (say 1-3 weeks) to gather comments and to let users better specify what are troubles and expectations.
Finally identify the best tutor to deal with the topic.

--P

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:46 am
The idea of administering a KDE system ( lets say locking screensaver + background image ) sounds more like a tutorial to me, but if a Mentor steps up with a Kourse then there should be no problem.

Suggestions by users would be a good idea, future and current Mentors could gather ideas for future Kourses through this medium.

KDE Sysadmin
Pol
Registered Member

Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:55 am
bcooksley wrote:The idea of administering a KDE system ( lets say locking screensaver + background image ) sounds more like a tutorial to me, but if a Mentor steps up with a Kourse then there should be no problem.

I would envisage a two-way approach to kourse organization: 1) Mentor works out a topic, then people subscribe his/her course; 2) users suggest a topic, mentor helps to sort it out, then people subscribe.

Yes, sysadmin topics are covered in tutorials, yet courses would be appreciated, being interactive and focused on users specific issues.

--
Pol

sayakb
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:14 am
Well, we definitely want fresh ideas.
For now, we are just checking to see if the Klassroom idea works out good. If it turns out to be a huge success (which I think it would!), we definitely would extend it's scope and ask out for new ideas. So presently, we prefer following the policy we thought about, just the get the ball rolling! :)

gnuboi
Registered Member

Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:04 am
it's a great idea...
nixternal
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:24 am
I would be interested in a "Writing Documentation" topic, and running it if need be. I am the KDE Documentation Team leader/organizer and have run similar topics in the past. Feel free to contact me on IRC (Freenode | nick: nixternal) or email me at rjohnson AT kde DOT org. Thanks!