This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Only forum.kde.org related discussions fall in the scope of the Forum Feedback area. Please take a minute to find the appropriate section for your query before posting here.

KDE weekly classroom

Would you like a weekly classroom?

yes, please do it
100%
no, no need for that
No votes

Total votes : 51

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

KDE weekly classroom

Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:07 am
Many of you might think it is hard to start to contribute to KDE. And this is where we want to jump in.
What do you think about a weekly classroom here on this forum?
Basically that does mean there would be a mentor for a specific topic who starts a thread with the given task. Now whoever wants to join can do it and discuss with other participants or the mentor.
Tasks can be from real world, like junior jobs from bugs.kde.org or whatever you all would want.
These classrooms shouldn't end at writing code, there are many ways to contribute to KDE:
  • translating
  • writing dokus
  • bug hunting
  • making artwork
Of course it can also consist of using a specific application. Whatever you want. So the week should start with asking for what you want in the next classroom.

Well, as already mentioned, we need mentors for that. So for everyone who wants to step up and has some skills in one or more of those areas, please PM me.

So, for everyone, please vote on this and tell us your opinion!

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
neversfelde
Global Moderator
OS

RE: KDE weekly classroom

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:00 pm
Nice idea. I was not sure, if a forum is the right place, but now I think that it is not bad to archive the lessons and make it available for later.

neversfelde on irc.freenode.net
http://www.kubuntu-de.org
Cryp71c
Registered Member

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:43 am
I've seen this done with other things, most notably web development. I think its a great idea and something I'd definitely take part in.
PTS
Registered Member
OS

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:58 pm
I think, it's a good idea.

Carpe diem!
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:06 pm
Ok, now it is time to make it real.
We will start our first classroom this weekend. If you are interested, be sure to subscribe to the [forum=71]appropriate forum[/forum] to get a notification when it starts (mail, jabber, rss).

Remember, if a subject doesn't fit your wishes, just wait for another one or simply let us know in which topic you are interested.

Communicate.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:32 pm
Lovely, I'm looking forward to it.

However, when I try to subscribe to that forum (KDE Classroom) I get the following error:
You do not have permission to access this page. This could be because of one of the following reasons:

1. Your account has either been suspended or you have been banned from accessing this resource.
2. You do not have permission to access this page. Are you trying to access administrative pages or a resource that you shouldn't be? Check in the forum rules that you are allowed to perform this action.
3. Your account may still be awaiting activation or moderation. (Resend Activation Code)

You are currently logged in with the username: 'Hans'

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:33 pm
? Try it again now, please. Must have been a permission problem.

Communicate.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:36 pm
Still doesn't work. I tried to subscribe to another forum and it worked without any problems.

EDIT: Now it works! :)

Last edited by Hans on Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:40 pm
Ok, the third try is always the best... Now again, please.

Communicate.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:48 pm
Just to make sure you see this: Yes, it works now. Hooray!

michael4910
Alumni
OS

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:55 pm
I think it should be called "Klassroom"...

ok, ok... I know, this gag is old...

michael4910, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:09 pm
changed, thanks for the hint. We like it! :)

Communicate.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:49 pm
michael4910 wrote:I think it should be called "Klassroom"...

ok, ok... I know, this gag is old...

It's way old! The new trend is to begin the words with 'C' even if it should be 'K'. For example, the 4.0 beta 2 codename.

;-)

neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:50 pm
Sometimes it nice to be old fashioned... :-D

Communicate.
Moult
Global Moderator
OS

Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:09 am
* Moult has subscribed.
Looking forward to the first topic! I'm wondering how advanced this will be. Eg: there are some downright newbies like me who have only touched C++ for a week, know nothing about Qt, and want to play around.

I think it'll be good for a general thread sorta thing to be posted in that forum as well like:
1) Get KDE-snapshots running, instead of 4.1. Here are a list of instructions per distro.
2) Here are some good resources for learning C++
3) Here is a good C++ IDE, and some tutorials on making simple applications
4) Here is how to choose a good bug to try and fix, and here is how to fix and commit patches.

I don't really know ;) I don't have the experience, but if somebody can write in more detail about this, awesome!

Last edited by Moult on Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moult, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
thinkMoult - source for tech, art, and animation: hilarity and interest ensured!
WIPUP.org - a unique system to share, critique and track your works-in-progress projects.