This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Only forum.kde.org related discussions fall in the scope of the Forum Feedback area. Please take a minute to find the appropriate section for your query before posting here.

programmers & users need to be kind/respectful to each other

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dchmelik
Registered Member
OS
In the '0s or '10s, maybe it was here, or maybe it was in the KDE bug report website, but I said I needed an old KDE Advanced Text Editor (KATE) tab bar plugin back or would have to use something else. The programmer took it as a threat, which obviously it wasn't--I simply needed most-useful features I used to have. I ended up switching to notepadqq in '10s, except I still occasionally use KATE for a unique (GUI) feature of editing with escape sequences.

Programmers often need to be much more kind/helpful to users, and take care to read what they say (some users are other programmers and already saying things clearly enough, especially in the case might be mathematicians, which in contrast, non-mathematician programmers often take things too literally, and are too vague from viewpoint of mathematical communication style) but users also need to be aware when programmers are just working for free (or almost) and take care not to become demanding/angry, and be kind/supportive also (I'm a Free Software Foundation member and also donated to KDE.)

At the time I simply stated that the old (now gone) plugin was most useful to me, and why. If no one wanted to work on it, I can't force them, but they can't force me to use something that no longer has the main feature I use (nor bugs fixed.) It's fine to state you like a feature, even if it's being removed, right?

programmer since 1993, UNIX user since 1997, X/KDE user since '0s, forum member since 2008-11