This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Only forum.kde.org related discussions fall in the scope of the Forum Feedback area. Please take a minute to find the appropriate section for your query before posting here.

Select your Operating System

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Fri13
Registered Member
OS

Re: Select your Operating System

Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:54 am
Is there plans to change the data so the operating system and distribution are separated?

As now every different Linux distribution is told as different operating systems while every of them use one and same operating system.

The KDE is for multiple operating systems out there, not just for Linux. There are NT, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, SunOS... KDE is ported all those and not just available for the Linux.

So we should get OS name from uname -s command and distribution from lsb.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:01 am
Fri13 wrote:Is there plans to change the data so the operating system and distribution are separated?

As now every different Linux distribution is told as different operating systems while every of them use one and same operating system.

The KDE is for multiple operating systems out there, not just for Linux. There are NT, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, SunOS... KDE is ported all those and not just available for the Linux.

So we should get OS name from uname -s command and distribution from lsb.

That is indeed difficult. On the one hand we have distributions and on the other OS like you mention. Question is how to call that field. OS seemed to fit the closest to what was intended.
Separating and providing 2 fields doesn't sound like a good idea, as it messes up the profile box more.
Also, let's not forget about users who are not that used to such terms and maybe pretty new to e.g. the linux world.
But feel free to suggest a better name for that field

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:31 pm
Personally I don't see what's wrong with calling a Linux distribution an OS. From Wikipedia: "A Linux distribution is a member of the family of Unix-like operating systems built on top of the Linux kernel." Sure, you can ask what exactly the operative system is, but for practical purposes it is convenient to lump it all together under "OS". Or have I missed something?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
JaKi
Registered Member
OS

Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:28 pm
Can you please also add siduction to the list? -> http://siduction.org
sayakb
Administrator
OS

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:35 pm
Added (please scroll down to the bottom).

JaKi
Registered Member
OS

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:56 pm
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Wed May 21, 2014 9:20 am
hermanto wrote:
Code: Select all
lsb_release -a

didn't work in mine :'(

And you don't know what you are using? That is very strange, usually people know what they have installed, don't they?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
JaKi
Registered Member
OS

Fri May 23, 2014 6:58 pm
Mamarok wrote:
hermanto wrote:
lsb_release -a

didn't work in mine :'(

And you don't know what you are using? That is very strange, usually people know what they have installed, don't they?

Well, I have heard that computers exist which have some pre-installed Linux... ;)
At least "hermanto" can say for sure he doesn't have any Ubuntu flavour installed because Ubuntus use lsb_release...
Maybe "cat /etc/*elease*" brings more info or "cat /etc/*ersion*".
JaKi
Registered Member
OS

Re: RE: Select your Operating System

Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:27 am
@nikkola:

There are a lot of distributions that don't use lsb-release. So this command only proves one for sure: if it doesn't work, you don't have Ubuntu or one of its flavors or f'ups like Mint ;).

Try:

cat /etc/issue && lsb_release -a && uname -r

and as I mentioned before also
cat /etc/*elease* && cat /etc/*ersion*

can give you the information.

But i guess you don't really need it because you already know you are using Suse 11.1 - or Windows 7 ;)
iwubdrawing
Registered Member
OS

Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:05 pm
Hi, sorry to bother you all but can someone add Windows 10 to the list?