This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Only forum.kde.org related discussions fall in the scope of the Forum Feedback area. Please take a minute to find the appropriate section for your query before posting here.

[SOLVED] Small Text Box

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jrick
Registered Member
OS

[SOLVED] Small Text Box

Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:06 am
ImageImage

I'm getting this problem when posting on this forum. I have only tried it with Konqueror, so it may work fine with other browsers. This behavior seems random, and I can't seem to figure out under what circumstances this happens.

Last edited by neverendingo on Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Type Colemak!

Proud, Conservative Republican

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
--President Merkin Muffley, Dr. Strangelove
JontheEchinda
KDE Developer
OS

RE: Small Text Box

Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:32 am
I saw that on another MyBB board with Konqueror. Doesn't ever happen with Firefox.

JontheEchinda, proud to be a member of the Kubuntu team since July 2008.
jrick
Registered Member
OS

Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:40 am
All right, but I'm not about to give up Konqueror. :)

Type Colemak!

Proud, Conservative Republican

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
--President Merkin Muffley, Dr. Strangelove
Andre
Registered Member

Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:47 am
Actually the editor has got a statement that it should cancel loading the editor if it recognizes konqueror. See http://forum.kde.org/jscripts/editor.js
What it does is it determines the size of the textarea by getDimensions() on the html object, which is whacky.
If I disable stylesheets it displays two textareas. message_new and message_old. message_old seems to inherit the size of the real textarea (id=message), but message_new doesn't. You could try styling both the textareas by their id (message_new, message_old).

'And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five? A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head.' ~Terry Pratchett

'It's funny. All you have to do is say something nobody understands and they'll do practically anything you want them to.' ~J.D. Salinger
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:17 pm
Andre wrote:Actually the editor has got a statement that it should cancel loading the editor if it recognizes konqueror. See http://forum.kde.org/jscripts/editor.js
What it does is it determines the size of the textarea by getDimensions() on the html object, which is whacky.
If I disable stylesheets it displays two textareas. message_new and message_old. message_old seems to inherit the size of the real textarea (id=message), but message_new doesn't. You could try styling both the textareas by their id (message_new, message_old).

Ok, added them to the stylesheets, let me know if it works now.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
PeperJohnny
Registered Member
OS

Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:46 pm

PeperJohnny, proud to be a member of KDE since 2006-Dec.
Do you dare?
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:03 pm

Communicate.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:29 pm
ahh, i always forget to report upstream... ;) thx rob!

Communicate.
Andre
Registered Member

Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:49 am
As I was the one to recommend the styling I want to add something. I'm not registered in the other forum, so perhaps someone can forward that.
Adding the CSS to set the size of that text box is not really the nicest solution, because 1) it doesn't solve the core issue of undefined rows/cols attributes of the textareas and 2) it uses pixel-based measurement.
I just recommended the CSS because I thought it is the easiest for the KDE forums, without fiddling with the JS and trying it out in all browsers.
I cannot try it at the moment, but usually the right fix would be to modify editor.js so it sets the "cols" and "rows" attribute programatically from the values of the existing one. So in the part where you do

textInput = document.createElement("textarea");

You should also do

textInput.setAttribute("cols", oldTextbox.getAttribute("cols"));

and the same for the rows.

Last edited by Andre on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

'And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five? A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head.' ~Terry Pratchett

'It's funny. All you have to do is say something nobody understands and they'll do practically anything you want them to.' ~J.D. Salinger
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:59 am
Ok, thx for the input, i will forward it to the mybb forum.

Communicate.
Blizzz
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:18 pm
The textbox is also generated in tiny dimensions, when you edit your signature and click on preview.

neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:33 pm
Ok, applied the css patch to the signature field as well. Though i think the js patch should be best for all textfields. But hadn't the time to test it yet.
For now it works, i hope. Let me know if not.
Thanks for reporting.

Communicate.
Blizzz
Registered Member
OS

Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:16 am
Thank you for the fix, it's working fine :)