This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Only forum.kde.org related discussions fall in the scope of the Forum Feedback area. Please take a minute to find the appropriate section for your query before posting here.

KDE brainstorm and mockups

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Hans
Administrator
OS

KDE brainstorm and mockups

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:07 pm
This is half a question and half a request.

First a little bit of background. I can't code, nor am I an artist, but I use KDE every day and want to help to improve it as much as possible. One of my ways of doing it is to come up with ideas and create mockups. I've found it amazing how much a simple user can influence the project.

Until now I've mainly used kde-look to post my mockups. However, I think the new forums would be a much better place for discussion. Therefore I wonder:
1. Are ideas/mockups welcome here?
2. Where do they belong? Should they have their own section?

I'm not sure I want a "KDE Brainstorm" section - it would probably be filled with wishlists and feature requests. I want a place where you can exchange new ideas and discuss them, and maybe take the first steps to realize them. Without the rating part - many times a mockup gets a good rating simply because it looks good. At least in my experience.

OK, turned out this was more of a question. Anyway; thanks in advance.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
Blizzz
Registered Member
OS

RE: KDE brainstorm and mockups

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:18 pm
The section "Discussions & Opinions" in the Developer-Forum would be the right place for new ideas and discussions.

neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:22 pm
Hans wrote:This is half a question and half a request.

First a little bit of background. I can't code, nor am I an artist, but I use KDE every day and want to help to improve it as much as possible. One of my ways of doing it is to come up with ideas and create mockups. I've found it amazing how much a simple user can influence the project.

Until now I've mainly used kde-look to post my mockups. However, I think the new forums would be a much better place for discussion.

Thank you for the trust ;)
Hans wrote:Therefore I wonder:
1. Are ideas/mockups welcome here?
2. Where do they belong? Should they have their own section?

I'm not sure I want a "KDE Brainstorm" section - it would probably be filled with wishlists and feature requests. I want a place where you can exchange new ideas and discuss them, and maybe take the first steps to realize them. Without the rating part - many times a mockup gets a good rating simply because it looks good. At least in my experience.

OK, turned out this was more of a question. Anyway; thanks in advance.

As it is now, we don't allow attachments (don't want to flood the server, security, etc.).
But when i need a picture in a post i upload it to my picasaweb album and link it.

Thinking about your suggestion. What about a collaboration? Upload your ideas to kde-look, in the description say "Please discuss this on ". And is it possible to use an image link to your mockup on kde-look?
This way you open a new thread with the image inside, hosted at kde-look, but discussion here.

Thoughts?

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:04 pm
Blizzz wrote:The section "Discussions & Opinions" in the Developer-Forum would be the right place for new ideas and discussions.

Yeah, that's what I first figured after reading the description of the sections. Thanks for the fast answer.

neverendingo wrote:
As it is now, we don't allow attachments (don't want to flood the server, security, etc.).
But when i need a picture in a post i upload it to my picasaweb album and link it.

Thinking about your suggestion. What about a collaboration? Upload your ideas to kde-look, in the description say "Please discuss this on ". And is it possible to use an image link to your mockup on kde-look?
This way you open a new thread with the image inside, hosted at kde-look, but discussion here.

Thoughts?

My plan was to use my blog to post the idea (including pictures) and then post the link and a "text only" version here.
It seems to be possible to insert images in forum posts if they're uploaded somewhere else. However, since the images probably would be quite large (both in terms of dimension and file size) I think it would be best to just link to them. The text+picture version will be available at my blog (it's not that I want visitors or anything. ;-))

And how can I not trust you guys when I get two great answers in such a short time?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:17 pm
Well, great, then go ahead and post your thoughts and mockups!
You found the right forum, so i am waiting for your first input :)

Communicate.
BartOtten
OS

Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:32 pm

I have checked the pluginpage of myBB and could not find a plugin to upload pictures to -for example- imageshack. I know there are plugins that can upload, resize and insert the image for other boards. With a plugin like that there is't an easy way to attach images without overloading the server.

If there is none I am willing to try to make one.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:25 pm
Bart Otten wrote:If there is none I am willing to try to make one.

Well, there is none, so you're invited to create it. Thanks.

And if the copyright notice says 'the forum.kde.org team', it will be posted in the announcements forum as well.

Communicate.