This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Only forum.kde.org related discussions fall in the scope of the Forum Feedback area. Please take a minute to find the appropriate section for your query before posting here.

Forums better than mailinglists?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

RE: Forums better than mailinglists?

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:14 am
Uh, what?? Didn't saw that... Should be changed, sure. I will report that upstream, too.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
msoeken
Mentor
OS

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:24 am
neverendingo wrote:
msoeken wrote:For me two advantages of mailing lists over a forum are:
1. No thread view in the forum, just a two-dimensional list

Actually there is: Just look on top of the thread, there you can choose between Threaded Mode and Linear Mode. The default is linear.

Cool. So if my second issue could be solved or implemented I would be very glad if some mailing lists would move here (or being synchronized with this forum).

Seems that I am not the only one who wants the feature described in Point 2. But I will post this request it in the appropriate subforum soon.

[size=x-small]code | [url=cia.vc/stats/author/msoeken]cia.vc[/url] | [url=kde.org/support]donating KDE[/url] | [url=tinyurl.com/cto4ns]wishlist[/url][/size]
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:27 am
msoeken wrote:Seems that I am not the only one who wants the feature described in Point 2. But I will post this request it in the appropriate subforum soon.

Yes, i was already thinking of putting it onto my maybe-i-have-enough-time-to-implement-it-todo-list. ;)
But if someone is willing to step up... feel free.

Communicate.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:29 pm
michael4910 wrote:
By the way: who translated "linear mode" to the German word "Brettstrukturmodus"? Asking google, I would say there are actually 190.000 German MyBB forums in the web... ,-)

I reported it upstream, and it will be in the next release.
Thanks for the notice.

Communicate.
JackieBrown
Registered Member
Mailinglists are usually more interesting (entertainingly speaking) because once the email is out, it cannot simply be deleted and it cannot be edited.

Also, they are easier to search if you are looking at a specific time period. If I want to see what was happening in Konq-dev in Oct of last year, its as easy as going to that months archives.

Finally, the best, they are usually plain text only. No distracting avatars or banners in a signature. No users that thought it would be clever to color code his post.

Debian GNU/Linux Sid

KDE trunk
of_darkness
Registered Member
Well in a user point of view when googling 4 info and run across email archives and no other good source of info.. then you find them irritating as you kned to klick around 2 se the replays as in a forum you get it right away..

as for participating or folowing new post i gues that would work, but jumping in on a big long running maling list whit years of backlog or so.. then i cant realy se them as so practical..

of_darkness, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Fabian Schölzel
Registered Member
OS

Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:31 pm
Well, i had the same feelings about mailinglists, too. But after following a mailing list for a while, some points got clear for me:

In a forum, you have a given structure, a given visual appearance and given tools to answer and search.

With a mailing list, you can choose the display structure, you can choose the visuals, you can choose the tools to search. And at last - you can choose the mail client for viewing. :)

In short: Forums: Predefined, complete package; Mailing lists: Text+Metadata+(your choice)
vdboor
KDE Developer
OS
I'm subscribed to a few mailing lists (kde-devel, kde-code-devel, opensuse-kde), and developer discussions on them are easy to follow. I do tend to dislike mailing lists for support, because you need to subscribe (=receive the bulk-load of messages) if you want to ask just 1 question.

For mailing lists, I recommend to set some things in your e-mail client:
* deliver all messages to the list in a separate folder (e.g. filter on the List-Id or X-Mailinglist header).
* use threaded view in this folder.
* order the messages by date, ascending.

Once you've managed to set this up, following a mailing list becomes easy.
If you didn't try this, it's indeed pain (receiving a lot of bulk in your INBOX). ;)

My personal preference:
* for developer discussions: mailing list (also see: this and this)
* for user feedback: forums
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:07 pm
msoeken wrote:2. Perhaps I have not found the option, but if I took a look at "View New Posts" I have to look through all posts of all subforums. I"d like to have the option to choose favourite subforums which appear there.

Have you found the RSS/Atom feeds already?

Communicate.
steveire
KDE Developer
OS
vdboor wrote:I'm subscribed to a few mailing lists (kde-devel, kde-code-devel, opensuse-kde), and developer discussions on them are easy to follow. I do tend to dislike mailing lists for support, because you need to subscribe (=receive the bulk-load of messages) if you want to ask just 1 question.

For mailing lists, I recommend to set some things in your e-mail client:
* deliver all messages to the list in a separate folder (e.g. filter on the List-Id or X-Mailinglist header).
* use threaded view in this folder.
* order the messages by date, ascending.

Once you've managed to set this up, following a mailing list becomes easy.
If you didn't try this, it's indeed pain (receiving a lot of bulk in your INBOX). ;)

My personal preference:
* for developer discussions: mailing list (also see: this and this)
* for user feedback: forums

You should note that KNode and GMANE makes it far easier than that to follow mailing lists.

http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/KNode ... ling_lists

steveire, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.