This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] [kword] spacebar

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Dimitrios
Registered Member
OS

Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:36 am
i tried to switch from open office to koffice
the problem is that i cannot use the kword, the spacebar does nt work !

it is a bug ?

mandriva 2009.1
kword-1.9.99.0-2mdv2009.1

«The magic continues...»
http://www.mageia.org
cyrille

Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:41 am
While KWord 2.0 isn't ready to fully replace open office, it's still should be able to handle the space bar, which means that indeed it's a bug. I suppose all other keys are working correctly ? One possibility is that the spacebar, for some reason, was assigned to a shortcut, can you check in Settings > Configure shortcuts that it didn't happen ?

Cyrille Berger
Krita developer and Calligra release coordinator
blog
Dimitrios
Registered Member
OS

Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:48 am
i dont have the spacebar related to any shortcut
the spacebar works only after if i type a lettre but only for one charactere space.
if i want to put a word to the middle i cant .

the time i write this i ve found out that finally it works with ctrl+space (by default ! )

Last edited by Dimitrios on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

«The magic continues...»
zander
KDE Developer

RE: [SOLVED] [kword] spacebar

Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:10 pm
Thats not a bug, its a feature! :D

Seriously, KWord is an application that is meant for text layout and the most made mistake in such applications is that people type more than one space. Also very hard to spot in printing, it just looks odd.
So KWord helps you with an auto-correct rule to only enter one space if you accidentally type two.

In practice you actually *never* have to type more than one space in a row. Spaces change width if you change font or even make things bold and they do weird things to your text-layout so if you want to do proper spacing use other features.
The tab key is a good solution and using the paragraph indent (enable view->rulers for each editing) is another.

Hope that clears up any confusion :)

Thomas Zander
KWord maintainer
Dimitrios
Registered Member
OS

Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:21 pm
thanks is very clear the reason and i understand it now
the problem is for the new user and someone the he does not use to ask in forums etc
when a simple user use it for the first time , the first reaction is to search somewhere in the settings and if he is lucky, to the shortcuts settings :)

for instance may be is a little early but one day i would like to use kword and no more openoffice, to have the entire of my applications in kde

«The magic continues...»
Hans
Administrator
OS

Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:38 pm
Ooh, I can see a lot of people dissing KWord because of this feature. ;P

If I understood it correctly, the application simply doesn't let allow you to enter more than one space at the moment. Wouldn't it be better if KWord allowed the user to enter spaces, but autocorrect (delete redundant spaces) when he/she enters the next char? And a short notification of what just happened (and maybe suggest to use the tab key instead).

I realize that I'm starting to go in the Microsoft Word direction (including the paperclip...), but I think the current way sounds very confusing. A lot of users will probably think of it as a bug rather than feature.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
Dimitrios
Registered Member
OS

Thu May 28, 2009 5:19 pm
finaly is a very usefull feature, but the new user has to be informed for that because he xill try to move the cursor to the middle , to start typing the document and he will not be able to do it;

«The magic continues...»
Michael
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:16 pm
Dimitrios wrote:finaly is a very usefull feature, but the new user has to be informed for that because he xill try to move the cursor to the middle , to start typing the document and he will not be able to do it;

Agreed, I like the feature immensely, but I can imagine it drove some users nuts at the beginning...

Michael, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct. / KaOS Linux user