This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Is it me or is KWord's font rendering really awful?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
Due to repeated CoC violations L_V is now banned for 2 weeks.

L_V, if you speak with someone here, be it developer or not, you should at least show some respect in what you say. And it was not the first time you did it this way. So next time you should think on how to discuss topics.
2 weeks and you can post again.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
fast_rizwaan
Registered Member
OS
L_V, bro, I understand your frustration for koffice's font rendering. I share your sentiments in this regard:

1. a good faster office suite
2. feature rich yet well integrated with desktop

I am so **** off with the 'ugly font rendering' used by koffice 2, that I simply dropped using koffice, after 'pleading many times' and reporting bugs that font rendering is making it difficult for me to work. what excuse did they give, that koffice has now become a 'what you see is what you print' suite.

koffice 2, to begin with 'with a hope of qt guys will fix it' started using the 'rendering system' and no prize for guessing, that because of this 'butt ugly' font display, nobody, literally nobody want to torture their eyes.

koffice 2, really messed up this time. it should have just 'ported koffice 1.x office to 2' and we would rather have a stellar office suite.

but, 'they are defending a wrong decision (font and calling koffice what you see is what you print a desktop-publishing-suite)' all the time, and they 'wish' that users use whatever they create, even if it is visually painful...

it pains me, to see that koffice is 'painful' to use, and buggy because of 'no user base...'

it's now more of a few developers' hobby, where they *waste* their leisure time...

before staroffice's release as openoffice, everyone was just too enthusiastic to 'make a free opensource office suite', but after openoffice, the 'incentive' of being called 'featureful free opensource' is not there... gnome office gone wasted, koffice 1.x got wasted...

koffice 2 even destroyed koffice 1.x, just because koffice 1.x can't work with opendocument, which makes it practically useless, and ttf printing was bad with koffice 1.x, yes, i reported it then...!!!

So, this Qt4's kde4, koffice2 (should have been koffice4 by now), is 'reinventing' the wheel by throwing away the old wheel...

the solution to this mess:

1. make koffice what you see is almost what you get, like koffice 1.x, openoffice, etc...
2. rendering, change back to koffice 1.x stye or anything similar which does not 'blurs' the vision
3. get paid developers, 'i'm ready to donate some money for koffice, esp. kword, kspread.', just ask for donation, and most koffice lovers will donate. we need paid developers for koffice, because, not enough 'volunteer devlopers' are there to make it feature rich asap.

4. integrate odfkit with koffice for 'single library many interface' like webkit... so that koffice developers could work on the interface, not on the 'document' specifications...

till, then... remember, nobody gives a rat **** to our opinions!
slangkamp
KDE Developer
1: KOffice 1.x was a dead end as it didn't support ODF very well. Text rendering in KOffice 1.x also wasn't very good and it was expected that the change to Qt 4 would fix that. In many aspects KOffice 2.x is better.

2: We can't change back to that. KOffice 1.x used Qt 3 for text rendering while 2.x uses Qt 4, so KOffice more or less stayed the same while Qt changed. Only theoretical alternative might be to switch rendering to Cairo + Pango.

3: There are developers paid by Nokia working on KOffice. Donations won't be enough donations to employ even a single developer.

4: odfkit is still in early development and so far more suited to build a viewer than a full office suite.