This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KWord choosing styles

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Michael
Registered Member
OS

KWord choosing styles

Thu May 28, 2009 4:16 pm
Choosing styles is a bit (at least for me) time consuming:

1. Go from text main body to syle tab
2. Choose paragraph / character style
3. Go down click OK (green arrow)
4. Go back to text main body

I would makepossible to chose a style with double mouse click , so advanced user can avoid using the OK box. It is more efficient.

Michael, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct. / KaOS Linux user
zander
KDE Developer

RE: KWord choosing styles

Thu May 28, 2009 10:30 pm
I've seen a lot of users argue that they want double click to open the dialog to edit the style properties.
Another group of users argued that the same double click should open the tree and show child styles (since you can have a hierarchy of styles).

I think the solution we have now is the best because it leaves nobody with a nasty surprise.
To be honest; its just 2 clicks; your 4 points are also mouse moves. Not sure that thats "fair".

I do have a lot of ideas for how to make this dialog more usable, though, for a next release.

Thomas Zander
KWord maintainer
Michael
Registered Member
OS

RE: KWord choosing styles

Fri May 29, 2009 1:20 am
zander wrote:I've seen a lot of users argue that they want double click to open the dialog to edit the style properties.
Another group of users argued that the same double click should open the tree and show child styles (since you can have a hierarchy of styles).

I think the solution we have now is the best because it leaves nobody with a nasty surprise.
To be honest; its just 2 clicks; your 4 points are also mouse moves. Not sure that thats "fair".

I do have a lot of ideas for how to make this dialog more usable, though, for a next release.

If you look it that way, yes I cheated :)

If I see it correctly we have three functions (Apply Style, Style Properties and Open Tree in Hierarchy) and two mouse functions (click and double click).

My arguments, but just for the sake of input, is that the most used elements should get the most efficient function.

- I agree that single click should be there open the hierarchy of the styles, especially if it gets expanded later with Style Management functions. It is logical and if we keep the paragraph and character order (C under P), it will be used quite often (which is not a bad thing).

- But I am not so sure with Apply Style and Style Properties. If someone uses styles (assuming it is not his first document), he will use a document where he already has his preset styles, done by himself. The use of Style Properties should be a fraction compared to the use of Apply Style. If it is not the case, the whole style use misses the point. So, I would put my vote on Apply Style. So, yes counting movement is cheating, but since (I think) Apply Style is the most frequent use of styles, it gives me the time biggest overhead.

- Right Click brings up properties and left click to open it is also the standard way for properties, although the icon I can accept.

- Actually, the + in the trees makes them logical choice to expand tree, especially if we include the P, C, etc. in the clickable area.

Just some food for thoughts. Oh, and if I have not told so, I do like KOffice 2 :thumbs_up:

PS.: Simply choosing a style may automatically activate, without the need to do anything else (one click).

Last edited by Michael on Fri May 29, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct. / KaOS Linux user