This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Music notation in Kword

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Manolete
Registered Member
OS

Music notation in Kword

Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:52 pm
Is possible to change colors in the scores created with Kword? I'm writing a commentary about the harmony in the Tristan chord, the music text is a reduction for 4 parts and I'd want to use a different color for each of the parts, but I can't find any tool to change the notes' color.
Also, is there any way to move and change the curvature and extension of the ligatures (I'm not sure about the term in English; in Italian is "legatura")? Kword automatically links one note and the following one, but I wanted to write expression ligatures that contain several notes.

I'm using Kword 2.0.0

Thanks.
Madman
Registered Member
OS

Re: Music notation in Kword

Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:06 am
First, no. It's all black. I think that was intentional, as most music scores are written entirely in black...

The second, I'm not sure.

Madman, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS

Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:36 pm
If you want that sort of flexibility, you may be better with Lilypond for which there is a KDE4 IDE called Frescobaldi. This creates PDF output which, as far as I am aware cannot be imported into KWord other than as an image.

A lot depends on what you want to use musical notation for.

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Manolete
Registered Member
OS

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:04 am
Madman wrote:First, no. It's all black. I think that was intentional, as most music scores are written entirely in black...

Yes, but not didactical papers, especially for children and teenagers. This Kword feature isn't supposed to replace a music notation program but to provide light music notation capabilities for purposes like mine.

john_hudson wrote:If you want that sort of flexibility, you may be better with Lilypond for which there is a KDE4 IDE called Frescobaldi. This creates PDF output which, as far as I am aware cannot be imported into KWord other than as an image.

A lot depends on what you want to use musical notation for.

Well, as I said to Madman the point isn't to replace a music notator, but being able to include short musical quotations for writtings on analysis and harmony. No need for a very powerful music notator, just some flexibility, as you said, besides the facility for editing the musical text without the need of making a new image in a different program.

Thanks y'all both, anyway, :)

I know this isn't probably a very common request (since I don't think this is a very well known feature, at least not among the people who would take more advantage of it, musicologists and music teachers) but in case any Kword developer is interested, and doesn't find anybody who wants to test and report feedback, feel free to contact me. I'd be pleased to collaborate in such an innovative and promising feature.
Madman
Registered Member
OS

Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:18 am
What would actually make most sense to me is if the Notes shape used the, "fill" colour for its notes. The plug-in developer would have to add that functionality, though, so whether it's one of the KOffice devs or not...

Madman, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS

Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:25 pm
Manolete wrote:Well, as I said to Madman the point isn't to replace a music notator, but being able to include short musical quotations for writtings on analysis and harmony. No need for a very powerful music notator, just some flexibility, as you said, besides the facility for editing the musical text without the need of making a new image in a different program.

Your other option is to install LyX (the LaTeX GUI); this allows you to create formal documents such as books, article and reports and import Lilypond code into the document. That way you would get quality output of both your text and your musical quotations.

Manolete
Registered Member
OS

Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:11 am
Madman wrote:What would actually make most sense to me is if the Notes shape used the, "fill" colour...

Exactly! But since that seems not to work I thought I'd better ask here for a workaround or soemthing.

john_hudson wrote:Your other option is to install LyX (the LaTeX GUI); this allows you to create formal documents such as books, article and reports and import Lilypond code into the document. That way you would get quality output of both your text and your musical quotations.

I read about LyX a couple of years ago (precisely, when I was looking for a program capable of editing text and music) but discarded it because it seemed too "spartan" to me, and forgot it for ever. Maybe now it's time to try it. Thanks for the recommendation, :).
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS

Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:35 pm
In fact LyX acquired a new development team a few years ago and is coming on in leaps and bounds with a fresh interface and lots of new features implemented.