This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Opening ODT files created in OOo

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
L_V
Banned
OS
You cannot use on regular basis something which is not reliable or still in development, and not yet available on KDE4 (which is now 2.5 years old), and not integrated in any KDE distribution.
annew
Manager
OS
L_V wrote:You cannot use on regular basis something which is not reliable or still in development, and not yet available on KDE4 (which is now 2.5 years old), and not integrated in any KDE distribution.

Still in development, yes. Not reliable, no - I've not found it to be so. Not yet available on KDE4 - not mainstream, I guess, but can be found.

There is no point in continuing this further. You choose not to use it - fine. End of story.

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
L_V
Banned
OS
I agree with you.
I also think at least 6 more months are necessary for Koffice to be integrated in distributions (cross platform tests, ODF compatibility tests etc etc) to ensure reliability.
Madman
Registered Member
OS

Re: Opening ODT files created in OOo

Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:17 pm
I'm still pretty impressed by the work of only 7 or so developers... compared with the **** 200-odd developers push out in OpenOffice...

I wish KDE projects had more interest. :(

Madman, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
2handband
Registered Member
OS
I'll revive this thread because I'm having a similar problem... and I'm using Kword 1.6. Somebody just e-mailed me an odf document (several in fact) that Kword won't open... says it's an invalid document. Opens fine in OO.o.

2handband
Registered Member
OS
Okay, that's interesting. I saved it as .rtf and Kword opened it... without the pictures, though. Does kword have a prob with photos?

zander
KDE Developer
And what does KWord2.x do?

Thomas Zander
KWord maintainer
Madman
Registered Member
OS
1.6 is old news. It's not getting worked on officially any more.

Madman, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
2handband
Registered Member
OS
2.1.1 opens it fine; I just now got around to trying it out on my "experimental" machine. The formatting sucks, though. By the way, since you're one of the maintainers I wanted to talk to you about documentation. I've been playing with 2.x on my spare machine and am interested in helping out with the manual; is there any particular way it needs to be approached?

2handband
Registered Member
OS
Formatting prob solved; it was a setup issue.

Pl4cek
Registered Member
OS
I'd would like to add some of my thoughts about how KOffice 2.2 handles ODT documents, so:
First thing is that font looks different from what it looks like in OO. It's darker and kind and a bit blurred, which get's really annoying if you change document size from 100% to e.g. 85%.
Next thing are tables... Well, they doesn't seem to work. On the above screenshot table was made inside Writer and as you can see there are no values at all. Strangely all labels are in places.

Here you can see that there are no Formulas and everything what was after them also disappeared. I think it has nothing to do that there are lists, because they work on another page.
Problems with tables are here again.. This time table was added as Calc Object and KWord decided to ignore it completely;(

Charts seem to be incompatible as well;(

My question is: should all of this work and all these issues are bugs? I've tried to check 2.2 Feature Plan, but most of stuff there is labeled either TODO or IN PROGRESS, so it's hard to say what is finished and what didn't make it for 2.2.

I was really looking forward to work in KOffice, but all these problems make it impossible;( Still I think that this is really promising project and hope to use it in the future!
zander
KDE Developer

Re: Opening ODT files created in OOo

Sat May 15, 2010 10:31 pm
Hey Pl4cek

first thing to say is that to get better interoperability between the different Open Document Format based office suites there is a lot of work and a lot of tiny details that need to be worked on. Which takes time.
The documents you provide use a pretty nice number of not-that-often-used features. Like formulas. Naturally, there *are* a lot of documents with formulas, but there are a lot more without. So the KOffice team that is working on all these issues put the formulas (for example) at a slightly lower priority than many other issues. Image positioning is one example of something that is a big issue getting lots of fixes.

So, what I'm trying to say is that getting a document to look correct takes time and we are attacking it one concept at a time. Which means that for people using KOffice you can very well get perfect results right now. But for others some things don't look as expected just yet.

Tables is another thing that we just have to accept have gotten some attention in KOffice but are kinda unsupported to be honest. Which is sad but true.

Charts *should* work right now, and I tested the KOffice2.2 release candidate which makes the charts load just fine for me.

Bottom line here is that some rather obvious parts are missing. Tables and formulas are good examples. Some are in-progress to get better (spell-check/table-of-contents/image-positioning/change-tracking/list-items) and will work for many usecases already. Many other things work properly already and are considered stable and complete. Things like most text features including more advanced things like drop-caps or page-styles should not give you any problems and should print perfectly to either PDF or a real-paper printer.

Thomas Zander
KWord maintainer