This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How integrated is KOffice really?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
npaulin
Registered Member
OS

How integrated is KOffice really?

Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:22 am
I'm relatively new to the KOffice scene, though I did tinker with the 1.x branch a few years back. I'm curious how easy it would be to add a "notepad" math flake to the mix. You've all probably heard it before, "I want something similar to MathCad". I've found comppad on sourceforge, which is real basic "mathcad" like functionality (edit: this is for openoffice and written in java I think.)

So when I started reading about your flake concept, I was intrigued since KOffice would have the KWord, KSpread, KChart, and soon KFormula flakes at its fingertips. What would it take to enhance each of these flakes so that, say, KWord could act as the notepad, KSpread could handle arrays (matrices?) and KChart could access this data to present it graphically, but all in a KFormula format that appears algebraic.

What are the possibilities with the new architecture?
cyrille
Yes I think it's already quiet possible to do that (with the development version of KOffice). What is missing though is the evaluation of kformula expression, but one things that would be cool for kformula is to be able to import/export from octave or yacas expressions and then it would be easy to query either of them for evaluation and show the display in an other shape.

Cyrille Berger
Krita developer and Calligra release coordinator
blog