This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Why Koffice over Open Office

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jgompert
Registered Member
OS

Why Koffice over Open Office

Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:41 am
I am running openSUSE 11.2 with KDE and by default it has Open Office installed instead of Koffice. I have never used Koffice, but from what I have heard is that it is not compatible with MS Office. This seems like a pretty big pitfall in the program. As for KDE in general I love it, but what reasons are there for using KOffice over Open Office?

Joshua Gompert
Joshnet.org
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Why Koffice over Open Office

Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:26 am
The main reason for me is the speed. Unlike the slow OOo, KOffice programs open instantaneously. And it is not only about starting the programs, but working in them also.

KOffice 2 is not yet ready to be anyone's main office suite (it is currently for developers and early adopters only), but I am eagerly awaiting the day I'll be able to get rid of OOo.

jgompert
Registered Member
OS

Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:37 pm
I guess that would explain why it wasn't included with my KDE install to begin with.

Joshua Gompert
Joshnet.org
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS

Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:18 pm
ivan wrote:The main reason for me is the speed . . . not only about starting the programs, but working in them also.

I agree but I also look forward to the integration. When I started using Linux, I found Applixware which was integrated and so effortless to use compared with any other office suite at the time.

KOffice2 promises to be a giant leap forward - I hope it fulfils that promise.

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
lumiwa
Registered Member
OS

Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:33 am
I installed Koffice 2.10 on FreeBSD 8.0. I was OO user from OS/2 (StarOffice) and it is my first try. I am impressed. KWord works and open my doc files from work without problems. I have a problem with KSpread which crashed all the time. I use a lot GIMP and I try Krita but it is very slow. As I hear should be better with next version of Koffice. KPresenter I didn't tested enough yet...
Great work.

starikarp
---------
http://starikarp.redbubble.com