This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

New Koffice still couldn't open my ms files...

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
K.R.
Registered Member
OS
I'm using Archlinux with KDE 4.4. I've waited for this new release of Koffice for months.
My simple xls file displays good with new KSpread, but when I click on my doc files, KWord just says "Creation Error" and won't do anything. Regarded the Chinese characters included by the doc may be the reason, I chose one simple English doc file and still the problem went on.
Hmm, I need some help to open my doc files.
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS
Just installed the openSUSE rpms and had no difficulty with a couple of doc files; when I tried a docx file, the text was OK but the space between paragraphs was too big. Not tried it yet with any complex formatting or files containing images.

Similarly no problems with a couple of xls files, both without any complex formatting or expressions.

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Vistaus
Registered Member
OS
Works also fine here with basic .doc documents on Kubuntu 10.04
Have had no problems since 2.2 beta.
K.R.
Registered Member
OS
Hmm... Maybe the problem is in my Arch system...
MarianoC
Registered Member
OS
You have to install koffice-filters to open MS Office files.
SyncMaster
Registered Member
OS
Well, I've installed the latest version 2.2.0 from the available Kubuntu PPA of koffice, but unfortunately, all my (real) work documents just make kword crash hard... So not yet usefull for me.
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS
KWord won't open any of the MS files I have with images in them - that may also apply to tables - but it opens text only files without any problems. It also opens RTF files which never have images in them anyway,

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
K.R.
Registered Member
OS
MarianoC wrote:You have to install koffice-filters to open MS Office files.

I've already installed koffice-filters and the problem is still unsolved.
K.R.
Registered Member
OS
Good, problem solved.
koffice-filters package needs wv2 package to import ms word/powerpoint files.
After I installed wv2, everything goes fine.