This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Switching to Koffice, what do I need to know

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
markum
Registered Member
I want to give Koffice a try, to see if it works as my main Office app. If there are any problems, I will see for myself, but it would be also good to know, what things are not working yet, where could I have problems. So if there are any people here, who made the switch or devs who know the inner workings, it would be good to get some hints. My main fear is interoperability of different formats when exchanging information with others. It would be very bad if information or formatting would get lost.

Markum

markum, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
Jon
Registered Member
OS
A couple of things:

I tend to use KOffice only in two modes right now:

1 - Personal idea generation (often a Karbon diagram on page sizes up to and over A0, with text notes, spreadsheet matricies, and photos showing meanings, concerns, visuals, lists associated with different parts of the diagram. These are never printed in their entirety, and never shared.)

2 - Paper or PDF documents, or presentations which I give personally.

I tend _not_ to use KOffice for electronic file sharing other than occasionally in PDF format right now. While I vastly prefer working in KOffice, I typically use OpenOffice for opening or saving MS-compatible things for the time being. In my case though, I don't exchange MS-compatible things often. Honestly I mostly use OpenOffice as a sortof browser/email plug-in for viewing MSO content. I try to avoid using it for my own work.

Other than that, I can report I'm having some trouble with bugs in KSpread in 2.2 - crashes and calculation errors. I am trying to reproduce errors and file a proper bug report, but it takes time and I'm usually very busy.
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS
That it isn't ready for most office work; I use it to read documents and to make notes of my research which are not going to be shared with anyone else but lots of the things I take for granted in everyday office work - like formatted dates - aren't yet available.

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Vistaus
Registered Member
OS
john_hudson wrote:That it isn't ready for most office work; I use it to read documents and to make notes of my research which are not going to be shared with anyone else but lots of the things I take for granted in everyday office work - like formatted dates - aren't yet available.

Nonsense. KOffice works fine here with a lot of things. Krita works fine, Kexi works fine, KSpread works also fine.. And KWord works incredibly fine! It opens even MS Documents with the right formatting, both simple and more advanced documents. It also edits them fine and KWord hasn't crashed since 2.2 final. Whatever I do, I just can't make it crash.
Same applies for KSpread and Krita.

So it is ready for most office work. Sure it isn't feature complete, but everything it does have, works like a charm.
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS
Why then have several bugs in KWord and KSpread which I submitted been accepted? For example, double currency signs in KSpread?

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Vistaus
Registered Member
OS
Dunno, but I don't have that bug in KSpread. And also no bugs in KWord, except some features that aren't complete yet. But I don't call that a bug, 'cause I know their working to make those features complete.
hero1900
Registered Member
OS
in my personel experience while i am testing and browsing kword i notice that it is not ready yet but it has many good things i hope the next release will be usable for professional work as an example there is many lack of very important features such a automatic table of content and other features that is available in open office and Microsoft office. still kword has many special and unique features and i am waiting the next release and i encourage all people to test it and say what they think of it. it will help the developers