This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Help with Kword Graphical Borders

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
harland1
Registered Member
OS

Help with Kword Graphical Borders

Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:30 am
I have been learning Kword, using versions 1.6.3 and 2.2.2 - I am looking for an alternative to MS Word, hopefully something that is easier to use. I have already found that Kword's handling of images is superior.

I found some tutorials on the web, which use earlier versions of Kword. When I read about using graphical borders, these tutorials describe "Frame Properties", Frame Style Manager, and Style Manager with a "Borders" tab in the menus. These methods of handling borders have disappeared with the later versions of Kword, and I am unable to find a replacement method for handling graphical borders, which I want to be able to control around paragraphs and frames.

Can someone explain how this is now handled, or if the functionality has been intentionally removed in favor of some new functions?

Thanks, -- Harland Jackson
zander
KDE Developer

Re: Help with Kword Graphical Borders

Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:30 pm
In KOffice2 the way frame borders are done is completely different. The technical details base themselves around the fact that in KOffice2 borders are plugins, you can have a border that is walking feet around the edges of your frame, if someone writes that.

In 2.x we currently have only one, quite simple, border. But it should allow you essentially the same functionality the 1.x version of KOffice gave you.
In any koffice app go to "Settings -> Dockers" and make sure "Stroke Properties" is enabled.
You can set the border there, its called "stroke" in koffice2.

Thomas Zander
KWord maintainer
harland1
Registered Member
OS
Thanks, Thomas - "Stroke Properties" is the magic bullet for my problem. I did not have any clue about associating that with borders.

Harland