Reply to topic

Windows 7 Basic theme like window switcher

ppcgidbbvl
Registered Member
There is only one thing I miss from KDE.
That sweet fast window switching. What do I mean?
When I press ALT-TAB, it _instantly_ pops up. If it's on, I can move around with cursors too!
All this happening real-time, with NO delay at all.

I tried all the switchers in KDE 4.10, but there is no switcher like that. Most of them got a small animation, a silly effect, and so on.
Do understand this is all due to convince users with all that eyecandy. However, I find it unusable for real work.

Is there a switcher like the one I mentioned in the title as well?
Can I create one? (of course I can make one, KDE is open-source. But I mean it as in... make a new module like W7Basic's with EASE.)
mgraesslin
KDE Developer
OS
ppcgidbbvl wrote:Can I create one? (of course I can make one, KDE is open-source. But I mean it as in... make a new module like W7Basic's with EASE.)

Sure it's no problem to create your own switcher. It's all QML and Plasmate has support for it. Documentation: http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tut ... owSwitcher

It won't be instant: there is a very short delay to make it possible to press Alt+Tab for switching to the next window without the list being shown at all.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
You can also try adjusting the animation speed (for all desktop effects) in System Settings -> Desktop Effects -> General -> Animation Speed. The default "normal" speed is pretty slow for heavy/serious use.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
mgraesslin
KDE Developer
OS
airdrik wrote:You can also try adjusting the animation speed (for all desktop effects) in System Settings -> Desktop Effects -> General -> Animation Speed. The default "normal" speed is pretty slow for heavy/serious use.

which has no effect on the non-Effect window switchers
luebking
Registered Member
Makes me wonder whether we should export a speed factor to the switchers and add a config option.
Might be more regular adjustment wish and and don't want to know whether "icon switcher @ 123ms" or "icon switcher @ 124ms" has more votes on kde-*.org
pilsnov
Registered Member
OP here. Somehow I can't log in to my original username (I did save the correct details, I use Keepass.) Anyway...
@Luebking: That would be great.

Now your comments made me think... why don't we initiate a couple of changes in the name of speed?
This changer is one of them. Both it should be instant and having a that four-directional changer. The icon-only switcher is a good starting place.

Speed is another (animation speed = 0). You need that if you want to work fast. First thing I do on Windows is turning off ALL the animations.
And the KRunner (if I recall it's name correctly.) I set the animations to zero, yet it rolls up and down, like some silly thing.

Can we do this? Is it "do-able"?
(I'm still aware of the open-source code, but forking the WHOLE KDE and patching it here and there is not the proper way I guess.)
What do you guys think?
luebking
Registered Member
To have krunner respect the animationspeed setting it would be required to have SlidingPopupsEffect apply animationTime() on the property data, but to get what you want: just disabling the effect should do as well.
mgraesslin
KDE Developer
OS
luebking wrote:To have krunner respect the animationspeed setting it would be required to have SlidingPopupsEffect apply animationTime() on the property data

http://code.woboq.org/kde/kde-workspace/kwin/effects/slidingpopups/slidingpopups.cpp.html#293 :-)

It's only used from the property in case it's explicitly set - that was a special request for Yakuake which allows to specify the time interval manually.
pilsnov
Registered Member
Alright, so we can tick KRunner. It's possible (and easy) to change to code to make it speedy.
What about the other problems?
Can I somehow implement this 4-way icon changer?

And more importantly. Let's say I have a Kubuntu.
Where do I find the respective code, that contains the switchers?
How do I package a new one?

(I'm thinking of taking out that "only icons" switcher, adding the up-down keys for navigation, and add it as a "Basic" switcher.)
Don't get me wrong, thank you for the documentation, but it's rather short, so to say.
luebking
Registered Member
the switchers will be in sth. like /usr/share/apps/kwin/tabbox and you can shadow them or extend them in ~/.kde/share/apps/kwin/tabbox/ (could be ~/.kde4/share/apps/kwin/tabbox/) and you'll equally need a service file in ~/.kde/share/kde4/services/ - stock ones are in /usr/share/kde4/services/kwin respectively
pilsnov
Registered Member
Thanks for the detailed reply. I didn't have time to work on it lately (KDE is been all crashy), but I'll get to it soon.

Reply to topic