Topic locked

Amarok 2.4 collection scanner does not find all files

User avatar evll
Registered Member
OS
I have multiple directories by genre, then subdirs by artist, etc. About 10 000 tracks in total.
No matter how many times I perform a full scan, some tracks do not appear in the collection. Sometimes a new full rescan adds 10-20 tracks, but I still see files missing.
I use the internal DB, not mysql
Please help me diagnose and solve the problem.
lemmy04
Registered Member
same here, on three different computers with different collections.
lemmy04
Registered Member
here's a result.xml of a shell run of the collection scanner.

http://linux.eregion.de/wp-content/uplo ... t.xml_.bz2

From what I can tell it found all files, but when I try to import that xml file I don't get all my music in my collection.
I also do not get a working "continue" or "finish" button on the import window...
User avatar evll
Registered Member
OS
A small update on the situation. I checked some of the files, they had a UNIQUEFILEID in their meta data. With some info from Amarok. I deleted that tag, rescanned and the files appeared in the collection. At least that solved the problem with some of the files
rengels
Registered Member
OS
Hi,
just to add to this post:

id3v2 -r UFID file.mp3

should delete the tag.
If you have problems, look at the amarok debug output. Start Amarok on the command line with:

amarok --debug

Then do a full rescan (the option in the settings menu)

If still files are missing contact me on the amarok irc channel.
zhentar
Registered Member
OS
I am having the same problem. Using Kde 4.6 and Amarok 2.4
Most of my files do not show up in the collection anymore and when I load them in manually, they have the wrong tags.
I have tried purging the configs and reinstalling, but no luck
I tried your suggestion albeit modified for convenience (as I have thousands of mp3s):
Code: Select all
find -name "*.mp3" -exec id3v2 -r UFID '{}' \;

But using archlinux and id3v2 0.1.11 with id3lib-3.8.3, there is no -r switch in my version of id3v2.
Are you sure you meant id3v2 and -r switch?

Update:
Also tried modifying the mtime with touch on my collection to force the scanner to recheck it but no luck
incognito
Registered Member
OS
Same thing here on fedora with amarok 2.4.
My audio files do not have any UFID tag, and the scanner found part of one album (one track from this album) correctly, but completely ignored the rest of the album, even though they are encoded in the same fashion, and have the same tags (except for the name of the song).
It also skipped entire albums.
rengels
Registered Member
OS
Hi,
can you please start Amarok with "amarok --debug" and look for warnings or other strange output while scanning.

A full scan is done by selecting "full rescan" in the settings dialog.

You can do a backup of your collection by copying the ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok folder.
aharonium
Registered Member
Is there a way to dump the output of the debug to a file as I can't sit watching this output for all 15,000+ files being scanned?

I tried:

amarok --debug > ./amarok.debug

but nothing was written.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
Shortcut to that: run amarokcollectionscanner from the command line.

http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Batch_Mode
User avatar thomi
Registered Member
OS
hey all

i have exactly the same problem..
i have a mp3 collection with 8000+ files... but amarok 2.4 just collect about ~5000 files.
i have done:
find -name "*.mp3" -exec id3v2 -r UFID '{}' \;

and get my 8000+ collection back.. but..
if i add a complete new mp3 file, just one.. and make a full scan, the mp3 won't be collected and listed in the collection.

have then tried that with amarokcollectionscanner.. first time, it worked:
amarokcollectionscanner -r /media/BIGFOOT/sound > /home/thomi/.kde/share/apps/amarok/amarokcollectionscanner_batchfullscan.xml

then made a full scan in amarok... and the new file was found.. have 8000+ mp3's in the collection..

then i added another new mp3 file.. and same problem. amarok can't collect it.. tried it also with amarokcollectionscanner, but no success in this way...

then.. i deleted/moved:
/home/thomi/.kde/share/apps/amarok
and
/home/thomi/.kde/share/config/amarok* (amarok-appletsrc, amarok_homerc, amarokrc)
restarting amarok and reconfigurig it with my collection and make a full scan, but amarok just found ~5000 mp3's :(...

then i tried it also with amarokcollectionscanner, no success..

don't know what to do, to fix that...

btw.. about amarokcollectionscanner:
there are no options like: -b and --rpath, see here:

amarokcollectionscanner --help
Amarok Collection Scanner
Scans directories and outputs a xml file with the results.
For more information see http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Batch_Mode

Usage: amarokcollectionscanner [options] <Folder(s)>
User-modifiable Options:
<Folder(s)> : list of folders to scan
-h, --help : This help text
-v, --version : Print the version of this tool
-r, --recursive : Scan folders recursively
-i, --incremental : Incremental scan (modified folders only)
-s, --restart : After a crash, restart the scanner in its last position
--idlepriority : Run at idle priority
--sharedmemory <key> : A shared memory segment to be used for restarting a scan
--newer <path> : Only scan directories if modification time is new than <path>
Only useful in incremental scan mode
--batch <path> : Add the directories from the batch xml file
batch file format should look like this:
<scanner>
<directory>
<path>/absolute/path/of/directory</path>
<mtime>1234</mtime> (this is optional)
</directory>
</scanner>
You can also use a previous scan result for that.

maybe http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Batch_Mode should be rewritten..

thanks for response

kind regards from switzerland
thomi
rengels
Registered Member
OS
Hi Thomi,
yes, the batch mode wiki needs to be rewritten. It's much easier now.

However for your 3000 missing files: can you start amarok with --debug, do a full scan (or touch one of the directories not found and do a normal "update collection") and then look for the debug output.

We noticed yesterday that 2.4 could write invalid uids in some special cases. If you have such a problem the amarok_afttagger might help.
User avatar evll
Registered Member
OS
I have incorrect UIDS - they have incorrect paths when I use "Move to collection".
What is amarok_afttagger ?
rengels
Registered Member
OS
Yes, the move to collection bug. All these "move" bugs just because I wanted to keep the statistics when the track was copied from a media collection.

Anyway, back to the issue.
evIl, you will need to get rid of the corrupt uid tags. You can use id3v2 for that or the afttagger which should write correct Amarok aft tags to all the tracks.
Better try it first with just one album and check that the statistics are still there.

Thomi, the reason for your problem might be something completely different. Have a look a the debug output first.
User avatar evll
Registered Member
OS
I removed all UIDS. Yes, it does cause losing of stats that were there before moving to the collection. I could live with that and start new each time a file is moved to the collection. However, I can't use the move to collection feature, because then tracks are not found at all. Now that's a real problem. Because move to collection is a real life-saver for me, I really don't like copying and renaming all files by hand.

Topic locked