Reply to topic

Help us with the "Help Dmitry Work on 2.9" Fund Raiser!

User avatar boudewijn
KDE Developer
OS
During the 2.8 development cycle, we had Dmitry work on Krita full-time. You’ve all seen the results: rapid progress, awesome features and Krita better than ever before :-).

For 2.9, we want the same: 6 solid months (except for a week or two of vacation!) of full-time work on, for instance, things like transform tool improvements, OpenEXR and HDR painting, canvas performance improvements, line antialiasing quality, vector/text handling, mask handling, PSD layer groups and more.

So we need a fundraising campaign, and we need help from the community to work that campaign. We need a plan, and we need feedback on that plan, and then we need to execute it...

To start with: there are three ways people can contribute:

* directly to the fund raiser
* subscribing to the development fund
* buying a DVD

The first two should lead to perks, and we need to make a good list of perks that will make people happy to donate!

Then we will need a campaign page/website and decide whether to code our own money-meter (like pitivi apparently did) or use indiegogo (or an alternative? kickstarter won’t work for us).

We will need a cool video, text and screenshots for the campaign website. I can draft some text, but we need help with the video, with screenshots and with filling out the text.

We will need people to twitter, blog, facebook and keep that up, so the campaign doesn’t collapse like a cheese souffle after the first week.

We need a list of websites/magazines/etc to get publicity, and make sure they notice our campaign.

The minimum goal is six months of Dmitry: that is 15.000 euros. If we can raise more, we might be able to get another experienced Krita hacker who has just finished his thesis to spend some full-time months on Krita, too!

What I need now is people to help me with this campaign -- I can coordinate, but I need volunteers to help me with these things, and come up with all the things I missed.

My timeline: I would like to have volunteers by Monday, and then start preparing the campaign next week. It would be awesome to be able to launch in two, three weeks.
User avatar irina_r
Alumni
OS
I can do website work, and I have a couple of twitter followers who like Krita and aren't in the KDE community (including one person who said "I may never leave my computer again"), so I think that will be useful too.

User avatar TheraHedwig
KDE Developer
OS
I'll be handling the official tumblr of course.

I was also thinking, giving tutorials as a 'perk'? I'd be volunteering with this.

Basically, the idea is that people will donate, and mention a subject they'd want to see a tutorial on. Like, 'wings' or 'crystals', or 'how does the sketch brush work', and I'd(or others) make a mini tutorial on that.
As suggested in the IRC, the amount of people requesting a specific subject will change the order, not the magnitude.

It's just, Krita has been noted to be difficult by new artists, so I guess I'd want to help combat that.
User avatar achibrucie
Registered Member
OS
Well I'll try to help with money. As a uni student, it is very hard to study and work at the same time. No guarantee unfortunately, but I'm sure I can do a one time donation at one point.

The first two should lead to perks, and we need to make a good list of perks that will make people happy to donate!

Okay this is my suggestion.
First things first, I think a page that has an update on what is being worked on, goals for next release, high level bugs, and next in line coding.

Blender every week releases an update on what is being worked on. That is hard for such a small team, but this generates interest from the community and they get excited for what is up and coming. For Krita, I think a page with those things would be easier.

As for perks? Backers can vote on the next project. The devs post the bugs and ideas list to backers and backers determinate where they should place their vote. Perhaps putting in their money into ideas they want - bit like a kickstarter except continuous. Obviously if there are bad bugs, they move up the queue and no need to vote. Though a kickstart could be a great way to gather interest.

We will need a cool video, text and screenshots for the campaign website. I can draft some text, but we need help with the video, with screenshots and with filling out the text.

I can storyboard if you like. I've done a bit in the past so if you need some help just ask.

We need a list of websites/magazines/etc to get publicity, and make sure they notice our campaign.

I think Open Source news sources would be our best bet. Other ideas is contacting indie places. For example, I would send something to http://indiegames.com/index.html and ask if they could contact the gaming community to see what features would help them if they need Krita to paint for games. (aka this is a line to use for all outlets but change "gaming community" to "graphic design community" or "digital painters community" etc.)
Graphic artists and painters should list where they go on here if possible.

I hopefully can be of help but I do have Uni as well :(

It's just, Krita has been noted to be difficult by new artists, so I guess I'd want to help combat that.

Really? I'm new and I've haven't had any problems really. It is fairly similar to other programs but ... I also don't know how to use alpha layers and all that so I suppose that could be harder? :D
User avatar nezumi
Registered Member
OS
I am sure some of you have seen monthly campaign that Synfig is doing - I believe they use indie gogo for it. So far they were pretty successful with it. So maybe not exactly same, monthly based campaign, but using indie gogo seems to work.
I sure will donate few bucks, also will spread the word like... I always do anyways :D Whatever you do - please make sure paypal is an option.
User avatar boudewijn
KDE Developer
OS
achibrucie wrote:Well I'll try to help with money. As a uni student, it is very hard to study and work at the same time. No guarantee unfortunately, but I'm sure I can do a one time donation at one point.

Right now, a promise of money isn't the main thing -- I need help :-)

achibrucie wrote:First things first, I think a page that has an update on what is being worked on, goals for next release, high level bugs, and next in line coding.

Blender every week releases an update on what is being worked on. That is hard for such a small team, but this generates interest from the community and they get excited for what is up and coming. For Krita, I think a page with those things would be easier.

Yes, that's a good idea. I've been doing that before and I can do that again. Or someone else, but it needs to be someone who understands commit messags.

achibrucie wrote:I can storyboard if you like. I've done a bit in the past so if you need some help just ask.

Help with the video is very welcome. We've also had a volunteer on the mailing list -- maybe you can sit together and come up with a plan? The idea is to show what sponsored development did for 2.8, so people can trust it will work out for 2.9.

achibrucie wrote:I think Open Source news sources would be our best bet. Other ideas is contacting indie places. For example, I would send something to http://indiegames.com/index.html and ask if they could contact the gaming community to see what features would help them if they need Krita to paint for games. (aka this is a line to use for all outlets but change "gaming community" to "graphic design community" or "digital painters community" etc.)
Graphic artists and painters should list where they go on here if possible.

Noted!
User avatar boudewijn
KDE Developer
OS
nezumi wrote:I am sure some of you have seen monthly campaign that Synfig is doing - I believe they use indie gogo for it. So far they were pretty successful with it. So maybe not exactly same, monthly based campaign, but using indie gogo seems to work.
I sure will donate few bucks, also will spread the word like... I always do anyways :D Whatever you do - please make sure paypal is an option.

Yes, I've followed the Synfig campaigns. I'm pretty sure I couldn't manage a new campaign every month! Indiegogo is what I was thinking to use, but if we can find a volunteer to do our own campaign website with a money meter etc. we don't need to give them 10% of the total! I.e., if we need 15.000 euros for Dmitry, then we need a goal of 16650 euros for the campaign...

Paypal is always an option, btw -- I've been plastering paypal buttons all over krita.org for some time now :-)
User avatar odysseus-art
Registered Member
Great news Boud, I think we are all very enthousiastic about Krita and the development was indeed very very fast during this year.
I can contribute with illustrations and possibly texts/graphics to be used in the campaign or the website.

Some thoughts:

For the funding campaign, I think it is important to really understand what the audience is: At the moment we are "selling" this to digital artists and maybe enthousiasts who would like to contribute to the open source development.
From the artists, most of the professionals are using photoshop, and not without a good reason: Maybe it has less painting features than krita or painter, but - apart from being the industry standard - it is very stable, handles all the main image creation and manipulation features very well, etc: In other words, everything "just works", and this is very very important.
Beginning artists and artists who decide to go for open source - either by choice or lack of money - they are currently the main audience for Krita, as far as I am concerned.
Personally, I own several commercial applications but I use Krita because of its great features, its interface and because I can actively take part in the development of the software in this great community. The fact that it is open source, shows me that the people who create this software are first and foremost creators, not businessmen.

What I want to say through all this mumbling is that it would be an interesting idea to find a way to make our target group bigger.
Perhaps a combination with something, or a goal, a product that will come out if the campaign is successful, apart from Krita.
We can find several ways to achieve that, without having to invest too much time:
- A concept or a theme, maybe something environmental or another actual topic. We will make a series of artworks on this theme and backers above the x amount of money will receive a print of their favourite image.
- Combination with another software under development
- Combination with something completely out of the way (we can do some brainstorming about this, no ideas at the moment!)
- Combination with game development. I got this idea after reading this post viewtopic.php?f=137&t=120448. I am working almost exclusively for board games and trading card games, and I use Krita for the illustrations. Possibly other artists are doing similar stuff. Many of these games are crowd funded. Could we find a way to bring some of these projects together?

Again, this doesn't mean that Krita is not good enough to stand by itself, but it will be a big difference if we can attract other people as well, not just artists.

Do you think we can create a separate thread just for the campaign? Each topic could be specific for another part of the project: Website, graphics, communication, etc and a topic with a timeline plan.

I am very happy to see all this development, keep it up guys!
:)

User avatar boudewijn
KDE Developer
OS
odysseus-art wrote:Great news Boud, I think we are all very enthousiastic about Krita and the development was indeed very very fast during this year.
I can contribute with illustrations and possibly texts/graphics to be used in the campaign or the website.

Yes, help is very welcome!

odysseus-art wrote:For the funding campaign, I think it is important to really understand what the audience is: At the moment we are "selling" this to digital artists and maybe enthousiasts who would like to contribute to the open source development.
From the artists, most of the professionals are using photoshop, and not without a good reason: Maybe it has less painting features than krita or painter, but - apart from being the industry standard - it is very stable, handles all the main image creation and manipulation features very well, etc: In other words, everything "just works", and this is very very important.
Beginning artists and artists who decide to go for open source - either by choice or lack of money - they are currently the main audience for Krita, as far as I am concerned.
Personally, I own several commercial applications but I use Krita because of its great features, its interface and because I can actively take part in the development of the software in this great community. The fact that it is open source, shows me that the people who create this software are first and foremost creators, not businessmen.

What I want to say through all this mumbling is that it would be an interesting idea to find a way to make our target group bigger.

Exactly! Around Krita 2.6 I sort of decided that Krita was now Good Enough that we could start expanding our user base beyond the free software enthousiast world (although that still is firmly where I am). That's one reason we've worked so hard on the Windows version, why we've made the move to Steam and started with supporting Krita through kritastudio.com. It's all got one goal: get Krita out in the world. I think getting several million users is entirely realistic, but it takes effort.

It's also important to keep the momentum going. We made one big mistake in the past, and that was when the move to Qt4 took away all stability and made us not do anything that users cared about for several years. We're in a two-release-a-year schedule now and no matter what Linux Voice might say, every release delivers something solidly useful!

odysseus-art wrote: Perhaps a combination with something, or a goal, a product that will come out if the campaign is successful, apart from Krita.
We can find several ways to achieve that, without having to invest too much time:
- A concept or a theme, maybe something environmental or another actual topic. We will make a series of artworks on this theme and backers above the x amount of money will receive a print of their favourite image.
- Combination with another software under development
- Combination with something completely out of the way (we can do some brainstorming about this, no ideas at the moment!)
- Combination with game development. I got this idea after reading this post viewtopic.php?f=137&t=120448. I am working almost exclusively for board games and trading card games, and I use Krita for the illustrations. Possibly other artists are doing similar stuff. Many of these games are crowd funded. Could we find a way to bring some of these projects together?

There is a bit of a struggle here, since we actually do need the money for the 2.9 development cycle! Together with Paul Geraskin, we're thinking of a way of combining his indie game project with Krita in a meaningful way, too. But the core thing is: we need about 15k so Dmitry can continue working full-time on Krita. That should be doable, if pitivi can raise 17k with a campaign that made barely any ripples!

Oh, and could we do an article on your work on board games and trading card games and how you use krita and what you miss for krita.org?

odysseus-art wrote: Again, this doesn't mean that Krita is not good enough to stand by itself, but it will be a big difference if we can attract other people as well, not just artists.

Do you think we can create a separate thread just for the campaign? Each topic could be specific for another part of the project: Website, graphics, communication, etc and a topic with a timeline plan.

One of the forum admins will have to do that, it's a good idea -- but I have no idea how that works...
User avatar Eo
Registered Member
I'd be happy to help and I have the time, but I'm just an artist so I'm not sure where I can be useful :)
User avatar odysseus-art
Registered Member
Exactly! Around Krita 2.6 I sort of decided that Krita was now Good Enough that we could start expanding our user base beyond the free software enthousiast world (although that still is firmly where I am). That's one reason we've worked so hard on the Windows version, why we've made the move to Steam and started with supporting Krita through kritastudio.com. It's all got one goal: get Krita out in the world. I think getting several million users is entirely realistic, but it takes effort.

I think that the question here is simply: What makes Krita unique, what is the basic feature that it is good at in comparison to other software? Other software at the moment means: Photoshop, painter and Gimp.
Because, open source or not, it is still a tool and it is important to define, communicate and then hopefully develop its main use first.

One thing that comes to my mind is Zbrush. It is not open source but it is a great example of a software that started very small and now is the leader in what it does. In a field that was strictly mathematical and technical ( 3D modelling), they introduced an organic workflow: sculpting. The main feature of that software was a simulation of traditional clay sculpting workflow in 3d and the introduction of a light and volume aware canvas, where the user could "drop" the model and paint in 2.5D. The dropped model was now in a pseudo 3D space which was called "pixols". While pixels hold xy information and color, Pixols where able to hold xyz information and color.

Although it was a commercial software, in early versions many of its features where very buggy, the program crashed often, etc etc. But the core was there and everything developed around it - at the moment it has an enormous amount of features.

Maybe we do not yet have a major breakthrough like this in Krita's features. However, defining better where this is heading and what we want to do with this software will be crucial. For example, an implementation of Verve's amazing organic paints would be a serious card for Krita. Serious enough to be considered by a wider audience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp7sJkJCRio
http://www.taron.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4

There is a bit of a struggle here, since we actually do need the money for the 2.9 development cycle! Together with Paul Geraskin, we're thinking of a way of combining his indie game project with Krita in a meaningful way, too. But the core thing is: we need about 15k so Dmitry can continue working full-time on Krita. That should be doable, if pitivi can raise 17k with a campaign that made barely any ripples!

Yes, perfectly clear. Perhaps we can all here contribute as much as we can afford to keep it going for the time being. Talking about games, if there is a game engine under development and on funding campaingn, Krita could "partner up" with them for their mutual benefit. Just an idea, and again it depends on where we are going with this.

Oh, and could we do an article on your work on board games and trading card games and how you use krita and what you miss for krita.org?

Sure, feel free to send me an email with the details!

Charblaze
Registered Member
OS
odysseus-art wrote:I think that the question here is simply: What makes Krita unique, what is the basic feature that it is good at in comparison to other software? Other software at the moment means: Photoshop, painter and Gimp.
Because, open source or not, it is still a tool and it is important to define, communicate and then hopefully develop its main use first.

Pretty much all enthusiastic comments say that the best "feature" of Krita is filling the gap between Photoshop like and Painter like applications. Powerful image editing tools combined with expressive brush engines.

odysseus-art wrote:Maybe we do not yet have a major breakthrough like this in Krita's features. However, defining better where this is heading and what we want to do with this software will be crucial. For example, an implementation of Verve's amazing organic paints would be a serious card for Krita. Serious enough to be considered by a wider audience.
I agree but it wouldn't work well with Krita. Verve can afford it's amazing organic paints by disregarding pretty much everything else. In Krita you would probably end up with an unpolished feature that doesn't really stand out, unless you drop the development of everything else. There aren't enough resources to do a totally new, highly polished, killer feature and develop other areas. It's smarter to polish and fix what's already there, and add features that work well and complement existing ones (so the end results is much more than the sum of the parts), as Krita devs are already doing.

About the fund raiser, this article highly relevant for the discussion: http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_ ... lure-r3608
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Boud, if you'd like any further subforums created, please either PM the Administrators group or file a Sysadmin ticket and we'll sort it out.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]http://forum.kde.org/content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
arcan studios
Registered Member
hi there, i am very happy with krita and i already buy muses dvd, and i will make some donations but i think this project needs spread the words, every artist out there has to know about krita, i m not an 2d artist, i am 3d artist and game developer and i show krita to my 2d artist and he leave photoshop to use krita ;D , thats cool, and more user = more donations, so i think a good plan its: make a lot of tutorial about krita, especially for game texturing, if you look for gimp texturing tutorial on youtube you notive a lack of good tutorials, (a lot for photoshop, sure, but we are taking for the free sofware community and gimp its the only alternative) and a lot of indie game developer with hungry for good material with free software (we have unity, udk and cry engine, so nice with indie developers who not buy 3ds max or photoshop and need free tools ) i am talking about my own experience if you look for unity tutorial you can find unity with blender as well, unity with photoshop, lets make krita famous with indie developers and lots of people use it.
Gimp its not good at painting, and photoshop its expensive and krita its better for painting, why people not use krita? because they dont know about it.

i put my sand grain spreading the word about krita in unity forum

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/239155 ... ost1586286
User avatar doraynico
Registered Member
OS
hello,

I am speaking often about krita to my friends, on facebook, and show screens of the UI on my tumblr and deviant art pages. Lots of them, all of them are photoshoop addicts like I was :D
Maybe making tutorials would be a good way to promote Krita. I could ask some friends (illustrator, storyboarder, comics writer) to try krita and record the sessions.

Tell me if it could help you.

Reply to topic