Reply to topic

New Krita.org mockup ideas

User avatar scottpetrovic
Registered Member
OS

New Krita.org mockup ideas

Sat May 24, 2014 9:41 pm
This thread is taking the wireframes from the "brainstorming and wireframes" post and polishing them up with colors, images, and sizzle. What type of colors and branding do we want the site refresh to have?

Wireframe designs for reference (made in Inkscape)
http://www.scottpetrovic.com/uploads/kr ... -v4.tar.gz
http://www.scottpetrovic.com/uploads/kr ... mes-v4.pdf

You don't have to do mockups of every page. One page is good enough to get the point across. For artwork to use, you can just pull something off of the Krita website for now.

Note that just because a wireframe has a bunch of rectangles, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to follow that. Wireframes are just guidelines about what content should exist on the page - and about where it needs to go. There is still artistic interpretation on how it exactly looks. It is like the frame of a car. It is only a structural element, not meant to dictate the form or aesthetics.

Remember that Krita is a painting program, so let's see if we can come up with something that artists might like.
User avatar boudewijn
KDE Developer
OS

Re: New Krita.org mockup ideas

Mon May 26, 2014 9:34 am
For colors and branding, might it be a good idea to take the lead from the 2.8 splash screen image? Kiki works out really well as our mascot, too.
User avatar vascobasque
Registered Member
OS

Wed May 28, 2014 8:19 am
@boud

Personally i like the theme of 2.8 - the colors, the mascot. It´s fresh and young and full of engergy. For the website the possibility to configure the main color scheme should be integrated in the administration panel in some way. So it could be decided later.

And the logo? The redesign of the website might be a good "event" to improve the logo as well.

Beyond that - another quick idea: Regular community votes might be an useful and entertaining thing for the website. :)

@mod

Maybe the thread could be moved to the krita development subforum?

Registered Member
OS

Wed May 28, 2014 10:20 pm
boudewijn: I also like the Kiki and 2.8 theme.

vascobasque: For color selection, I think the 2.8 theme and Kiki are a pretty viable color scheme. Light blue, pink, and grey would be nice. I think we can just roll with that unless there are some other designs that look better. Making the color scheme customizable in the admin will be quite a bit more work. For the voting, do you mostly mean polls after the website is launched (new features, what OS do you use), or right now to determine the design of the site? Based off the design progress so far, I don't know how much participation there will be.

For the logo, how much impact would that create if we change that? It isn't good to change branding too often. When was the last time it was redone?

I am going in the 2.8 splash screen direction with what I am working on. I might try to post a mockup tonight with a direction I was going.
Registered Member
OS

Thu May 29, 2014 4:43 am
Here is an idea I whipped up. This graphic is really 1400px wide, but the forum only allows images up to 720px wide. You get the idea though. I was thinking the theme would be a full width theme up to the max 1280px or whatever. Then it would lock to that and have a grey background on the sides like the mockup shows.

I am still not entirely sold on how I am displaying the artist interviews. I need to do something different with it like rotate the image to give the design a little more energy. I will think about that more.

User avatar boudewijn
KDE Developer
OS

Thu May 29, 2014 10:59 am
Lovely! The icon/logo was changed two years ago, if I remember correctly -- I would prefer to keep it this time, since it's actually part of a set, with sketch, gemini, studio, desktop all shown with the same logo with some variations.

I do like the way the artist interview is shown as an aside, btw. Which reminds me, I've got another one coming up, but didn't get down to working it up into an article because of the sprint and kickstarter...
User avatar vascobasque
Registered Member
OS

Thu May 29, 2014 11:04 am
scottpetrovic:

The voting idea was meant for the site after it is launched, not for the design process.

The design you made looks nice. I would prefer to reduce the amount of images needed for the layout.. but that is more a personal opinion. I am sure the design can be optimized (eg with css sprites) so that page speed is not a problem. The only thing i do not like are the big drop shadows of the buttons in the middle. The buttons could be a bit more subtle. :)

Registered Member
OS

Thu May 29, 2014 1:46 pm
@boudewijn: The artist interview could work like that. It is more of an aesthetic decision than anything else. I will probably come up with something else just to experiment, but won't be too tied to it.

@vascobasque: Can you expand on the too many images? That is fine if you disagree. What about do you dislike.

The main reason I thought having multiple images was good is that it shows Krita as a versatile art tool - good for many types of artwork. Only showing one piece of artwork across the whole top might communicate that it is only good for that type of art. People might eventually visit the gallery, but they may not. This design targets new visitors better than returning.

I do web design/development for my job, so it will be optimized. Usually these sites start having problems when volunteers start helping and they don't know about web optimization. They usually upload high-res JPGS that are complete overkill. Based off this design, I will be very surprised if the total file size is over 1MB.
User avatar boudewijn
KDE Developer
OS

Thu May 29, 2014 2:02 pm
"I do web design/development for my job, so it will be optimized. Usually these sites start having problems when volunteers start helping and they don't know about web optimization. They usually upload high-res JPGS that are complete overkill. Based off this design, I will be very surprised if the total file size is over 1MB. "

Yes... That's me, indubitably :-)
User avatar vascobasque
Registered Member
OS

Thu May 29, 2014 3:39 pm
I did not meant the content, i meant the images for the layout, in the background. But Web-Development is not my profession.. So it looks nice, and you have the know-how to make it work performant. Fine! :)

Charblaze
Registered Member
OS

Fri May 30, 2014 5:50 pm
@scottpetrovic: I like this design a lot. Good work!

I guess it's time to look at the CMS. Is the old joomla upgradeable? Can we export the old news to another CMS? Does wordpress suit our needs and is it worth the trouble of switching?
Registered Member
OS

Sat May 31, 2014 12:16 am
@Charblaze: Thank you for the kind words.

I was going to do an inside page as well and make sure we are ok with that before we get into the CMS talk too much. Updating the site to the new design is going to be quite a bit of work, whether we stick with Joomla or switch to WordPress. There is quite a bit of re-organization of content. This design is pretty structurally similar to the Blender.org skin, so switching to WordPress might be the best solution if we can use that as a base. I am also very familiar with WordPress development (not sure who else might help with the programming though). There are also migration tools from Joomla to WordPress for the data for the posts and news (http://wordpress.org/plugins/fg-joomla-to-wordpress/). If I am doing most of the development, it is going to be much quicker if we do WordPress.

It is going to be tricky working on the development site at the same time as the live site being updated. Once we start updating most of the content, we won't be able to run the data migration again since we will be moving so much of the content around. We will probably have to just manually copy and paste any new content from then on. We will have to see how it goes.

I was going to wait until this weekend (Sunday) before I change the topic. There are more things to discuss than just the CMS (development website, GIT hosting, content migration plan).
User avatar Deevad
Registered Member
OS

Sat May 31, 2014 1:10 am
scottpetrovic wrote:http://www.scottpetrovic.com/uploads/krita-mockup-v1.jpg

Beautifull website ! I like the texture in the background. Good work

User avatar TheraHedwig
KDE Developer
OS

Sat May 31, 2014 3:51 pm
scottpetrovic wrote:@Charblaze: Thank you for the kind words.

I was going to do an inside page as well and make sure we are ok with that before we get into the CMS talk too much. Updating the site to the new design is going to be quite a bit of work, whether we stick with Joomla or switch to WordPress. There is quite a bit of re-organization of content. This design is pretty structurally similar to the Blender.org skin, so switching to WordPress might be the best solution if we can use that as a base. I am also very familiar with WordPress development (not sure who else might help with the programming though). There are also migration tools from Joomla to WordPress for the data for the posts and news (http://wordpress.org/plugins/fg-joomla-to-wordpress/). If I am doing most of the development, it is going to be much quicker if we do WordPress.

It is going to be tricky working on the development site at the same time as the live site being updated. Once we start updating most of the content, we won't be able to run the data migration again since we will be moving so much of the content around. We will probably have to just manually copy and paste any new content from then on. We will have to see how it goes.

I was going to wait until this weekend (Sunday) before I change the topic. There are more things to discuss than just the CMS (development website, GIT hosting, content migration plan).

Yeah, we actually did talk a little about the CMS at the sprint, and really, my conclusion was that wordpress would be the best option because it's more user-friendly.
Drupal, I did my best to learn it, but I couldn't really get it as user-friendly as I wanted it to be, so hence my preference for wordpress, same issue with Joomla.

Things like the gallery and artist interviews can be handled through catagorising posts, but we really need to document the manner they are implemented carefully.(Featured images are useful, but not extremely obvious to newcomers). The import plugin is really... plug and play. We'll just make a backup of the database beforehand :)
I will help out in development. I have before made loops for specific catagories, so we can use that code and experience :)
Charblaze
Registered Member
OS

Sat May 31, 2014 5:18 pm
Looking forward for the inside page.

My only experience was with Drupal (categories, filtered and custom views), and I have the same opinion as TheraHedwig about it. I'm looking into wordpress right now.

@TheraHedwig: You mean the featured images on the homepage? If yes, a mouseover effect that shows a message like "See it in the gallery =>" should make it obvious to newcomers that clicking on them redirects you to the gallery.

Reply to topic