Reply to topic

New Krita.org mockup ideas

User avatar TheraHedwig
KDE Developer
OS

Re: New Krita.org mockup ideas

Sat May 31, 2014 6:17 pm
Charblaze wrote:Looking forward for the inside page.

My only experience was with Drupal (categories, filtered and custom views), and I have the same opinion as TheraHedwig about it. I'm looking into wordpress right now.

@TheraHedwig: You mean the featured images on the homepage? If yes, a mouseover effect that shows a message like "See it in the gallery =>" should make it obvious to newcomers that clicking on them redirects you to the gallery.

No, I am talking about wordpress' ability to set a 'featured image' for a post. It's a little hidden, but it's a little easier to work with for theming than taking the first image in a post.
User avatar scottpetrovic
Registered Member
OS

Sat May 31, 2014 8:42 pm
Here is the inside page.

We will have to take some time to review all of the content later when we start putting it in there. There are quite a few pages, so I would rather get the content in the CMS and do formatting and content layout a little bit later. I was thinking we could have a few different header images for the inside pages and have them either randomly populate in there, or do a slideshow thing every so many seconds.

For the Wordpress vs Drupal vs Jooma. I am not really too tied to Wordpress if other people are familiar with other CMSs. A lot of the work is going to be HTML, CSS, and javascript. The CMS just replaces certain areas with editable text.

Charblaze: How many websites have developed in Drupal?
TheraHedwig: Were you planning on helping with development, or merely making suggestions? If yes, what is your experience? If no, that is ok too.

I took a look at the Blender theme for Wordpress in a little more detail today and I am starting to no want to use that as a base. It is pretty hacked together in my opinion, and has a lot of stuff that doesn't really pertain to the Krita.org design. I think the code will be the cleanest and simplest if we just start fresh. Almost all of the pages on Krita.org will have the inside theme, so I would start with that as a base and apply it everywhere. We can figure out the best way to create alternate layouts for variations like the homepage, download, and whatever else.

I just finished coding a Wordpress site last week, so I am pretty competent in Wordpress dev stuff. Again, though, most of the work ends up being HTML, CSS, and Javascript - not CMS specific code.
User avatar TheraHedwig
KDE Developer
OS

Sat May 31, 2014 10:33 pm
Uhm, well, I have modified my own website a lot, both css, html and php wise, but it's forever under construction(the frontpage code needs tons of revisiting). The gallery ought to be of interest to you though :)

There's this dutch restaurant website which made the enduser really happy. I coded a widget, and modified the php so the menu look nice.

There's a couple of other websites, but they are mostly glorified blogs :)

So yeah, I've wanted to help since the beginning.

I tend to use the wordpress underscore theme as a beginning for most of my stuff. It's a starter theme intended to pull from github, and a lot of the basic resetting and dry styling has been done, but not enough as to hinder the developer. You should give it a look!
Registered Member
OS

Sat May 31, 2014 11:04 pm
TheraHedwig: The underscore theme looks pretty good. That might make a good base to build on.

Usually what I do is build out a static HTML page until it looks like I want it to. I then take a simple Wordpress theme like the Underscore theme and modify the markup and separate out everything into the different PHP files. That usually works for me. Because Wordpress separates all of the sections into different PHP files, it can be difficult doing the original HTML when you have to work in 5-8 files.

I don't know how much work you want to do with this. If I gave you a zip with the HTML, CSS, and javascript for the internal layout page, would you know how to make that work with the underscore theme?
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:50 am
I spent a little while coding up the HTML for this internal page. An important thing to look at as well is the responsiveness of it at different widths. The image is pretty large, but I wanted to show the image changing sizes with the screen changing as well.

http://www.scottpetrovic.com/uploads/kr ... index.html

In case anyone is interested, the total page size is 374KB.

Let me know if you find any issues with how this is functioning.
ghevan
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:43 am
The site looks very appealing!
On the desktop, Firefox/Opera media queries seems to work perfectly.

As for the CMS of choice I suggest to use the most familiar for the web developers. For a site like Krita.org Wordpress could work pretty well even with the basic tagging system the CMS comes with. With plugins and some PHP tweaks it will be perfect. Drupal is nice and can be adapted pretty well to many types of sites, but I would not recommend it for this site if it's your first approach with it as it's a bit of a steep learning curve. Another problem I see with Drupal is that it's heavily dependant in the database for displaying content views contrary to Wordpress that uses PHP files/templates to "build" views/widgets.

After seeing the mockups, I wish I could contribute to the website as well! Sadly spare time is running low these days :(

User avatar boudewijn
KDE Developer
OS

Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:00 pm
Awesome!
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:36 pm
Before anyone can start getting the work done, I thought it would be a good idea to have a list of different areas that need to be done before we can confidently push out this new version. Some of these tasks will take a long time, others can be done much quicker.

what CMS to use

data migration - Need to figure out best way to move and manage all of the existing Joomla content to a Wordpress database

theme development - what layouts and plugins need to be created or modified (homepage, download, IRc)

version control - set up GITHub project for theme development

copywriting - updating text and images on existing pages

to do list tool - for getting all of this work done

dev environement - setting up development website that we can commonly update content

release plan - how will revised site get into production.

volunteer list - who can help with what? contact information

production sync - create new posts in dev site when krita.org is updated

page checklist - all of the pages that need to be looked at (all the marketing pages that we will need to format, spot check news and interviews)

QA testing - go through the website and give feedback for errors or other issues

documentation - guide for making updates to the site once we are "done" ( updating gallery, adding an interview, version release)

Based off the conversations already, it looks like we will probably be using WordPress. One task down! Based on who can help with any of this, we can start dividing the tasks and getting things done. The amount of people that can help will determine how fast we can launch the new site. It should be fun!
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:15 am
I spent a little time and set up a few things for the management of the web project. I just got a JIRA account which will take care of the to do list, Confluence for documentation, and BitBucket for the repository hosting. It usually costs money, but they have free accounts if you are with an open source project.

Confluence (wiki page)
https://kritapainting.atlassian.net/wik ... umentation

Kanban board (to do list and issue tracking)
https://kritapainting.atlassian.net/sec ... Issue=WM-8

Respository Hosting (GIT)
https://bitbucket.org/kritapainting

Right now I just have an account, but have plenty of keys for other people if more people want to be involved and help out. I might spend a few minutes and brand the site for Krita.

I mostly just copied most of the tasks to JIRA that I posted here earlier. I think the first that needs to be done right now is convert the html assets I created earlier to a base Wordpress theme. We can put that into BitBucket and use that as the base for other changes to the theme.
User avatar achibrucie
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:56 pm
scottpetrovic wrote:I spent a little time and set up a few things for the management of the web project. I just got a JIRA account which will take care of the to do list, Confluence for documentation, and BitBucket for the repository hosting. It usually costs money, but they have free accounts if you are with an open source project.

Confluence (wiki page)
https://kritapainting.atlassian.net/wik ... umentation

Kanban board (to do list and issue tracking)
https://kritapainting.atlassian.net/sec ... Issue=WM-8

Respository Hosting (GIT)
https://bitbucket.org/kritapainting

Right now I just have an account, but have plenty of keys for other people if more people want to be involved and help out. I might spend a few minutes and brand the site for Krita.

I mostly just copied most of the tasks to JIRA that I posted here earlier. I think the first that needs to be done right now is convert the html assets I created earlier to a base Wordpress theme. We can put that into BitBucket and use that as the base for other changes to the theme.

I would like to help but I know nothing about those websites or how to use them.

I also like the website design but I do have a few personal dislikes. This is not a fault of your design just personal preference. Plus, you seem to know what you are doing and everyone else likes it, so go with it :3 I'm been absent so I can't really make comment now.

The only design experience I've had is with a bit of UX. So ... not much help :-\
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:03 am
In regards to the infrastructure...
(Puts on sysadmin hat)

1) Please use a KDE wiki, I would suggest community.kde.org. You can use a section on it such as community.kde.org/Krita/<ProjectName> or similar.
2) For source code hosting, it is not permitted for KDE servers to automatically pull from non-KDE infrastructure. The theme will need to be hosted on git.kde.org in an appropriately protected namespace. While this temporary location is fine while you develop it for now, it will need to be migrated prior to going live as krita.org.
3) As for issue tracking, we'll probably have something official for that in the next few weeks I imagine. I don't see any issues with you using the Atlassian space for that role at the moment though.

In regards to the CMS.... while Wordpress isn't the best, it is an improvement on Joomla (which has known issues with upgrades in the past).
(Wordpress has a "security hostile model" of operation, requiring the web server have write access to the entire web root which makes compromising it easier. Upgrading it is also a royal pain as it mixes user and system provided plugins, and doesn't isolate everything in one directory ala Drupal).

In terms of final deployment, please be aware that access to KDE servers is via SSH public key only. FTP or SSH password based access is not offered.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]http://forum.kde.org/content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
User avatar achibrucie
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:25 am
bcooksley wrote:The theme will need to be hosted on git.kde.org in an appropriately protected namespace.

Isn't the code still being hosted with chilliproject? I think it has been abandoned last time I checked.

In regards to the CMS.... while Wordpress isn't the best, it is an improvement on Joomla (which has known issues with upgrades in the past).
(Wordpress has a "security hostile model" of operation, requiring the web server have write access to the entire web root which makes compromising it easier. Upgrading it is also a royal pain as it mixes user and system provided plugins, and doesn't isolate everything in one directory ala Drupal).

Since you seem to know a lot about this, what CMS do you think the website should be on? Considering the maintenance and the experience that people have (aka not much)? :3

Also ... when you talk about it not liking non-kde infrastructure ... is that why I get Gateway 502 on here once in awhile? I read something like that once.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:17 am
Our code has never been hosted with Chiliproject. That is just a read-only viewer essentially. Our backend system runs Gitolite.
From a sysadmin point of view, we tend to prefer Drupal - but I do know that many find it quite unfriendly to work with. Wordpress is runner up in that case.

The 502 Gateway error you see here from time to time is because Nginx and PHP forget how to talk to each other. We have never been able to find out why it happens, but it resolves itself in most cases (failing that, restarting php-cgi fixes the issue). I'm hoping an system upgrade will fix that (which will happen soon hopefully, time permitting).

KDE Sysadmin
[img]http://forum.kde.org/content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:41 pm
bcooksley: We can use KDE for the source control (git.kde.org) and and wiki ( community.kde.org). Whatever is done with Atlassian, we can always copy to something else if it makes doing deployments easier. I imagine that means there is some type of continuous integration that you use for deployments. If there is anything that I can do myself, let me know. I know some things like that need higher privileges.

There is still quite a bit of work to be done before we deploy, so I wasn't focusing too much on the deployment aspect right now. If we are going to be using the KDE GIT and wiki, it might be easier to have that set up now so there is less to migrate when it is closer to done - and less confusion.

I don't know what needs to be done to make that happen. I will continue to use Atlassian until the proper infrastructure gets set up on the KDE side. I figured you guys would have workflows set up - I just didn't know about them. :)

In terms of Wordpress, it is mostly a matter of me knowing it the best. It seems I am the main developer, so I am just using what I know.
User avatar boudewijn
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:10 pm
The first thing is to get a kde identity -- http://techbase.kde.org/Contribute/Get_ ... or_Account. Setting up the repository and so on is easy afterwards.

Reply to topic