Reply to topic

New Krita.org mockup ideas

User avatar scottpetrovic
Registered Member
OS

Re: New Krita.org mockup ideas

Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:16 pm
Status update. I applied for a KDE developer account, but haven't heard anything yet (not a big deal right now). I am just using a local GIT repository for now.

I have made good progress on the Wordpress theme. I have the base theme mostly done. I also have the homepage, news, and gallery layouts working pretty well. I just started on the download template last night. I need to figure out a good way to manage the artist interviews. I might do that after we do the data migration and can see what the migrated data looks like.

I am a little unclear the best way to have the development environment set up (something like dev.krita.org). From there we can try to do the initial data migration. I haven't done this type of thing before, so there might be some trial and error. With an article I read, you can set up a fresh Wordpress install and download a plug in that can import the data from Joomla. You connect to the joomla database and it sucks everything in somehow. From there, we will need to update and re-arrange everything to be in the new format. I will probably need database access to clean up links and database settings for it to work correctly.

This article looks pretty straightforward with the data migration part. http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/ ... wordpress/

Hopefully it will be that easy.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:57 am
In regards to database access, etc. if Boud is okay with going ahead with this please send an email to [email protected] - we'll need to co-ordinate multiple tickets for this.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]http://forum.kde.org/content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
User avatar boudewijn
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:32 am
Oh, yes, I'm definitely okay with it :-)
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:20 pm
sounds good. I just sent an email. We'll see how that goes. I know the Kickstarter stuff is under way, so it is ok if I get side-lined a little bit to make sure that gets all the attention and support it can. I can continue to work on and polish the theme until then.
User avatar boudewijn
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:30 pm
Sure, that's ok :-). If you've got good ideas for getting more attention for the kickstarter, that would be awesome!
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:02 pm
Status update: For the Wordpress theme, I have created an artist interview section for the site. The way it is designed, you can just tag a post as an interview and attach a "featured" image to the post. When you do this, it will automatically appear in the artist interview section once published. I also coded it so the last interview will automatically show up in the homepage (as well as be in the news). Pretty neat.

I thought it would also be nice to add some search functionality for the news, so if you click on "show all" by news, it will take you to a full news layout where you can search for specific words. Since the news is a little below the fold, I added an RSS feed so people can use their favorite RSS reader to stay up on new things without having to visit the website every time. I will try to get a litttle video demo showing the functionality. It is all done with a dummy database and my posts, but it should be simple enough to use the real data once we do a data migration.

For KDE and infrastructure stuff:
I have read/write access for KDE repositories (thank you bcooksley), but am not quite clear how I need to add one. By the documentation, it looks like I need to create some type of "scratch" repository where I would put the wordpress theme. Once I get it in there, I need to contact a system administrator and tell the that it needs to be "promoted" to the playground with the other website projects. Is this correct?

The thing about this repo is that it really doesn't need continuous integration with it. It is just a Wordpress theme, so updates don't work like most software releases do. None of the code is compiled. It is more for reference than it is for updating the site when something gets changed.

For adding documentation for the community.kde.org /krita, is it using my regular KDE account? I type in my credentials, but says my account can't be found. I also don't have privileges to create an account - I need an administrator. hmm.

I will see about getting a video capture of what I have done so far. I need to get a screen recorder and figure that out.
Registered Member
OS
A quick youtube video showing the theme's progress. All feedback is welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVHEj2w ... e=youtu.be

Since posting this, I thought of a couple of things to improve.

Homepage news section - have a search field instead of the "See All". The "News" page is a little redundant.
internal pages - have a three or four images that will show up as the header background. Right now there is just one.
Artist interviews - when you go into an artist interview, it can show the featured image in there as well. The interview questions can wrap around it.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:47 am
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

For the repository, please file a request using the ticket system at https://sysadmin.kde.org/tickets/
In terms of logging into the wiki, you need to use the separate "Identity / OpenID Login" link to login using your Identity credentials.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]http://forum.kde.org/content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
ghevan
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:14 am
Wow! I love how it works, and better yet, how it looks! I may miss the dark blue a little. ;p

Some critique, if you don't mind.
The adaptative nature of the site, very good, I like how the main page adapts and how the article fits together on small widths. On the gallery, stacking doesn't work quite well. Thumbnail could be hidden and instead make the main view the image viewer with controls to go to next and previous image. something like a lightbox would work.

Main page has the news, with the search function which is something I really appreciate. What happens when the copy text is too long? Or when the tittle is to long? Will it be possible to add a featured image to the post? Please, copy an article from the page just for reference :D.

Drawcrowd :D!

Interview page. Wow! I love it! I wonder how it would work if when hovering the artists frame and overlay appeared showing a brief text. Like drawcrowd highlighted comment or a overlay black with white text. The text would have to be hand picked by the editor, and it could be something like "My favourite is". Or maybe something else as I remember some interviews getting very detailed on what they liked about krita :D

Registered Member
OS

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:39 pm
ghevan: nice feedback. I actually haven't seen DrawCrowd before - I love it though. I will see what I can do. For the artist interview, I like how the artist name is overlayed with the image on and it has that gradient behind it. I will try to do that. It is a little cleaner.

I will see how difficult it is to improve the gallery section. The thumbnails are nice if we have a lot of images. I don't know how important all of the thumbnails are for most people. Maybe it is just better to have a main image with a next and previous control. The other option would be to do something like DrawCrowd and have a grid option and lazy loading.
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:49 pm
Status Update: Big thanks to Ben Cooksley for helping me get the theme files on a KDE server. The latest theme files are on there now! I don't have to worry about my computer blowing up and losing everything. :)

https://projects.kde.org/projects/websi ... repository

I updated the artist interview and homepage slightly to have gradients behind the artist names - the same as drawcrowd. Still doing some research into a better photo gallery.

The next step is I am going to send a request about getting dev.krita.org going and getting a copy of Wordpress installed on it. From there I can put the theme on and start looking into the best way to get the data and content moved over from Krita.org.

I am so excited to see the Kickstarter is going well. Go Krita!!
User avatar boudewijn
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:11 am
Oh, that's really awesome! I'm so looking forward to it landing :-)
Registered Member
OS

New Krita.org site progress

Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:29 am
More progress!

I have been working fervently with Ben the mighty system admin to get the development site set up for the new Krita.org site. You can take a look at the fruits of our labor below.

https://dev.krita.org

Many links appear broken - because they are! The work that has been done is a big step forward though.

The data migration works!...for the most part. Almost all of the content is coming over from Joomla now. You can see most of the recent posts, and search for everything else. The images don't want to move over for some reason, so I will see what I can do about that. You can se all of the past posts that have happened currently.

There is still a lot of work left though until it is done:
1. Move all of the page content to actual pages (they are currently saved as posts in WordPress)
2. Fix the images that are broken
3. keep updating posts whenever the regular krita.org makes an update
4. Have people look it over and spot any errors before we make the switch.

I am not sure how long this will take to do. I am currently figuring out some database access stuff so I can manually change data to get everything in sync. From there, I can start copying over the pages and linking everything up.
User avatar boudewijn
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:08 am
Awesome! I'm dancing a quiet little jig in anticipation :-)
User avatar Hans
Administrator
OS

Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:10 pm
Great work scottpetrovic! Here are some suggestions/comments:

When I look at an application page, there are mainly two things I'm looking for:
- A screenshot of the interface.
- A download button (if I'm using Windows).

With this in mind, how about making "What is Krita?" the same width as "News", put in a screenshot and a Download button, and move "Get Involved" under "Artist Interview"?

Some news may be worth to put in a spotlight, such as the Kickstarter. Would it work to put that above "News"? Something like "Spotlight", with a big image or video?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts

Reply to topic