Reply to topic

New Krita.org mockup ideas

User avatar scottpetrovic
Registered Member
OS

Re: New Krita.org mockup ideas

Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:41 pm
@Hans: Those three areas are configurable, so we can swap them out with whatever. Putting a "news spotlight" section in the middle could be a good idea. Krita still isn't very well known, so right now things are placed to help people understand why they would use Krita. I am ok with swapping out the middle section with promotions or other important news. The last section with artist interviews are like testimonials showing that artists actually use and like Krita. This is very important.

One of the things I have seen is that people are thinking Krita is just a GIMP clone. People that don't know anything about Krita are going to want to see what Krita is and what it can do before they want to download it. I just talked with five or six people last night about Krita. None of them knew what it was - and the first thing they did was go to Krita.org to find out more about it. They weren't interested in downloading it yet. They just wanted to learn more about it. I think downloading or buying comes at a later phase for people.

It is like selling any product. What is this product for and what problem will help it solve. The type of people that we want to use Krita are concept artists, illustrators, and comic book artists. If we aren't clear with that point, the product will get clouded with Photoshop type requests and other things that won't help steer the product in the right direction.

At the end of the "What is Krita" section, it has a button that goes to the features page. They can read more about all of the great features, clean interface, and other tools that Krita offers. Features are tied closely to the user interface. You need an graphical interface for a feature (no command line features hopefully). There will be a lot of user interface images in the features section. The interface will communicate much stronger if we show a lot of UI images and pair it with what they do.

People don't "jump" at downloading new software - or buying a product. They research the capabilities and see how it meets their needs. For the download aspect, there is a main link at the top that will lead people to the download page. We also probably can have a link or button on the features page leading people to download it.

The difficult part about web design is that everyone will use it differently. All you can do it make it as easy as possible for people with different needs. Right now we are prioritizing education over other aspects.

The design will probably stay as is for now until all of the content is migrated over. It is a website, so nothing is in stone. We can always change things or improve after we make the swtich.
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:08 am
Status update:

The images all work now. I also hooked up all of the links and navigation, so everything should be going to the correct pages. I need to backfill most of the content - but at least it doesn't give a 404. I also updated all of the artist interviews, so if you go to that page, you can see what that look like.

https://dev.krita.org/features/artist-interviews/

When you post an artist interview, it will automatically get added to that page, as well as the frontpage "artist spotlight". No extra work!

@boud - you should be able to log in with your Joomla credentials if you want to take a peek. The data migration carried over the Joomla usernames. You can get to the admin log in area at the bottom by the social media icons.

The separation is that all news related items are posts, and all other content are pages. I think it is easier to find and make updates this way.

When I get some more of this grunt work done with moving content over, I will create some documentation on the Community KDE (https://community.kde.org/Krita). That should help when doing future updates or anything else that needs to be changed.
User avatar boudewijn
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:02 am
Awesome! Is it already useful to start updating text? I just noticed that the features page talks about OpenShiva, and that's no longer there :-). I'm also really happy with making a difference between news and pages, I found that so confusing.
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:04 pm
I didn't realize that about OpenShiva and the features page. You can update any text you want. It is a fully functional site. :)

I was just copying over the content as-is for now from Krita.org until everything is in the right place. Then I was going to go back through it and see if there are areas that need to be modified, added, or pretty-fied.

Some of the fancy formatted pages like the front and download page are a little different. The front page is mostly dynamic content, so there isn't a "page" you can edit for that. There is a frontpage.php template in the theme files for making edits to that. I can detail more of the Wordpress inner-workings in the coming days.

There are very few plug-ins that I used. Just about everything will be edited or customized through the admin interface or a php file in the theme folder. Depending on what is easy or difficult, we can modify where things are.
Registered Member
OS
Progress report:

I thought gallery area needed the most love, so I completely updated it to use a "Masonry" style one. This is also a lot less code than the other one, so it should be easier to update and maintain.

https://dev.krita.org/features/gallery/

It is a nice way to show a bunch of images. The images will re-arrange when you change the screen size. I added a few images that I got permission for. I was thinking of adding a lightbox functionality, but it really wouldn't have much use other than a larger version fo the image. I just opted for showing the image itself. A little simpler.

I also migrated over quite a bit more content. There was a lot of information in the Press section, so I actually broke that out in another section (History). The other thing I did was replace all of the youtube and vimeo links that were in there. The embed code works a slightly different in Wordpress, so I had to swap that out on all of the posts.

No guarentees, but I think it might be ready to push out in a week or two depending on how much time I can spend on polishing and final content updates.

Let me know if there are any issues or things or images that would be good to add.
User avatar boudewijn
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:03 am
Very nice! Thanks so much, and I'm looking forward to going live :-)
User avatar Deevad
Registered Member
OS
scottpetrovic wrote:Progress report:
https://dev.krita.org/features/gallery/
It is a nice way to show a bunch of images.

Hey congratz for the work around the future website. It looks good :)
I report a bug in the gallery; images are sometimes deformed ( they don't keep same ratio hight and width than original picture ) ; it impact the proportion of the original artwork, and all gallery look like 'warped'. :) Maybe it's local on my browser : Firefox 30.0 / Linux ?

Registered Member
OS

Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:13 pm
@deevad: Good catch. If you noticed, than I better update that. The way that feature works, I can't have a different aspect ratio for each image. I currently have a few predefined ratios for the images ( vertical, horizontal, and square currently). Every image is currently one of those. I can add some extra versions to account for images that are more vertical like x-vertical and x-horizontal.

That should help that situation out. The fix won't be perfect, but it should be quite a bit better than what is currently there. I will let you know when it gets updated.
User avatar Deevad
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:26 pm
Oh, good to know. If you have already few predefined ratios ; it can probably works visually better by cropping artworks instead of deforming them. They might fit better your predefined grid this way. Here, no problem to see my artwork cropped, even as square ( as http://www.artstation.com is doing ) :-)

User avatar iamcreasy
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:10 am
Great job! It's refreshing.

My two cents, the home page should contain these,
> The definition first. Very short. Then a link to the [More about Krita] page, where it explain the purpose of Krita. i.e. 'it's a painting program unlike other image manipulation programs like GIMP and Photoshop. It's more like Corel Painter.'
> Then saying "Check out the Gallery[link] what Krita can do.
> A brief list about the features, and a [link] that takes them to the feature explained page.
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:26 am
@deevad: I updated the gallery to have better aspect ratios. I ended up creating an xlarge and an xxlarge for vertical and horizontal. It is pretty close. Let me know if any of them look off.

@iamcreasy: thank you. For your points, I am trying to hit most of those on the homepage. If you click any of the images at the top, it will move you to the gallery page. For the other two points, I can probably try to word them better to communicate those points. I think communicating what Krita is, and what it can do are two very high priorities with this design. It might be a good idea to be more explicit with the gallery. I might put a link in the first section "What is Krita" to it.
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:11 pm
I think the website is starting to shape up nicely. I have been making some tweaks and adding some help pages for IRC and mailing lists over the weekend. I also spent a while on the features page and making it a little prettier. I think the site is at a point where it needs to be reviewed and figured out when to pull the trigger making the switch. I also started creating some documentation on making updates to the site. Let me know if anything is unclear or seems to crazy.

https://community.kde.org/Website_Maintenance/Updates

The page currently isn't under the Krita project. I didn't figure out how to do that yet.

The current Krita.org site is somewhat broken when everything moved servers. The gallery page and other plug-ins didn't carry over for some reason. Even more reason to make the switch instead of figuring out the Joomla stuff.

@Boud - Have you tried to log in and play around with the new site. I want to make sure you are comfortable with it before we proceed. I am a little nervous about content. It has mostly been me updating things.
User avatar Deevad
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:20 pm
scottpetrovic wrote:@deevad: I updated the gallery to have better aspect ratios. I ended up creating an xlarge and an xxlarge for vertical and horizontal. It is pretty close. Let me know if any of them look off.

Hey, from what I see here https://dev.krita.org/features/gallery/ ; it's still off to me ; I can say witch artwork is streched horyzontally or vertically as it ruins a certain feeling of harmony in each picture. Thanks if you can fix it :)

Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:28 pm
can you point out artwork specifically? Did you refresh your browser cache. They should be pretty close now. I updated 4 or 5 of them before. Is it different than it was before?
User avatar Deevad
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:53 pm
Strech is on all of them :)

Reply to topic