Reply to topic

How to get KDE 3.5 in Kubuntu 8.10

User avatar blackbelt_jones
Registered Member
Posts
212
Karma
0

How to get KDE 3.5 in Kubuntu 8.10

Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:24 am
Hans wrote:blackbelt_jones, maybe you can post a "KDE3 in Kubuntu 8.10" howto in the tutorial section?


Well, sure! I'm going to start with a link to the repository I used, and then I'm going to send a link to this thread to the guy who maintains the repository, so he can monitor the thread, and maybe answer questions if he wants.

http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/

The page contains all the instructions.

I chose to use the repositories to install KDE 3.5.10 onto a tradtional gnome-based Ubuntu system, partitially because that's what I've always done. In the KDE 3 days, Kubuntu had one particular custom feature that I disliked (There was no "Go" button in Konqueror) and while I'm sure there's a way to fix that, I've always used "Ubuntu with KDE" ( a generic KDE instead of Kubuntu desktop. So if you start with a Kubuntu disk, your results may differ from mine.

Three times, I installed Ubuntu 8.10 and then I installed KDE 3.5 from the Pearson Repository.

My three installs.

1. The first time, I had a problem logging in from the initital reboot after the install. At the kdm login screen, the mouse and keyboard were both dead.

2. I tried it again, and the same thing happened. I fixed the problem by mounting the hard drive with a knoppix disk, and disabling KDM in /etc/rc2.d (if anybody wants more detail on how this was done, just ask.) With KDM disabled, I was free to login to my system from the console. After that, everything ran beautifully, no problems.

3. I went through the install process one more time, because I wanted to reset the partitions for a dual boot, two different Intrepid systems, KDE 3.5, and an experimental KDE4 system. Call me supersitious, but I don't have a lot of faith in resizing partitions. So this time, I simply stuck with the GDM login screen. No problems.

This repository uses KDE 3.5.10. This is the first time I've seen it, and while KDE
itself described the release as not very exciting, I noticed a great new feature almost immediately... this release makes it easier to mount removable media in Konqueror (or is that a feature of intrepid? Whatever it is, I like it!

I think I saw something about one more repository out there. And there will probably be more. And there's another method of getting KDE3 in intrepid involving updating hardy. Since I'm commited to continued viability for KDE3 in Ubuntu for as long as necessary, I chose the repository method.

(I gotta go, I'm just gonna post this with no proofreading, will edit tomorrow.)


madscientist159
Registered Member
Posts
2
Karma
0
blackbelt_jones wrote:1. The first time, I had a problem logging in from the initital reboot after the install. At the kdm login screen, the mouse and keyboard were both dead.

Another user found the reason for this--it wasn't me at all, but rather an Xorg bug: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=49

blackbelt_jones wrote:This repository uses KDE 3.5.10. This is the first time I've seen it, and while KDE
itself described the release as not very exciting, I noticed a great new feature almost immediately... this release makes it easier to mount removable media in Konqueror (or is that a feature of intrepid? Whatever it is, I like it!

That's a feature in hardy-backports that I added to the Intrepid KDE.

blackbelt_jones wrote:I think I saw something about one more repository out there. And there will probably be more. And there's another method of getting KDE3 in intrepid involving updating hardy. Since I'm commited to continued viability for KDE3 in Ubuntu for as long as necessary, I chose the repository method.


As far as I can tell I host the only repository for KDE3.5 on Ubuntu Intrepid. In fact, I think I have the only compilation of KDE3.5 for any of the distros that dropped it (e.g. Fedora does not yet have a way to get KDE3.5 short of compiling it). :-)

If you find any bugs, please report them here: http://bugs.pearsoncomputing.net I will usually get them fixed in a few days, barring substantial problems that require heavy source modification.
User avatar kolla
Registered Member
Posts
6
Karma
0
madscientist159 wrote:As far as I can tell I host the only repository for KDE3.5 on Ubuntu Intrepid. In fact, I think I have the only compilation of KDE3.5 for any of the distros that dropped it (e.g. Fedora does not yet have a way to get KDE3.5 short of compiling it). :-)

If you find any bugs, please report them here: http://bugs.pearsoncomputing.net I will usually get them fixed in a few days, barring substantial problems that require heavy source modification.


Thank you! :-D

I just barely managed to get kde-3.5.10 installed before http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net vanished - why is it gone?


-- kolla
madscientist159
Registered Member
Posts
2
Karma
0
kolla wrote:
madscientist159 wrote:As far as I can tell I host the only repository for KDE3.5 on Ubuntu Intrepid. In fact, I think I have the only compilation of KDE3.5 for any of the distros that dropped it (e.g. Fedora does not yet have a way to get KDE3.5 short of compiling it). :-)

If you find any bugs, please report them here: http://bugs.pearsoncomputing.net I will usually get them fixed in a few days, barring substantial problems that require heavy source modification.


Thank you! :-D

I just barely managed to get kde-3.5.10 installed before http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net vanished - why is it gone?


Servage deleted the mirror again, that's why.:-@ I've changed the DNS to point at my in-house backup server for now, and I'll have to look into a different hosting service for the mirror.
User avatar blackbelt_jones
Registered Member
Posts
212
Karma
0
If you're hosting 3.5 repositories for all distros, I think that my KDE3 users group should support you in any we can. Will keep in touch.


http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho ... 8353308082


User avatar blackbelt_jones
Registered Member
Posts
212
Karma
0
blackbelt_jones wrote:If you're hosting 3.5 repositories for all distros, I think that my KDE3 users group should support you in any we can. Will keep in touch.


http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho ... 8353308082


jeromio
Registered Member
Posts
4
Karma
0
Anyone else having problems with knetworkconf-kde3?

Granted, I first "downgraded" to kde3 via instructions here:
http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org ... p?t=963695
Unfortunately, the ubuntu forums are down right now. This method used

#KDE3 Intrepid PPA
#deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kb9vqf/ubuntu intrepid main
#deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/kb9vqf/ubuntu intrepid main

I've commented those out in my sources.list and added the pearson. I still have the kde4 knetworkconf package. Can't seem to remove it either. Also, the

sudo apt-get purge kde4*

command tells me it has matched a huge long list of kde3 packages and then errors out due to massive dependency probems.

My system is currently pretty well hosed and I'm ready to just call it quits, burn a day re-installing. Anyone have any better ideas (I hope)?

 
Reply to topic

Bookmarks



Who is online

Registered users: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], claus_chr, CraigOoo, cristian.onet, Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], koriun, lasst, Majestic-12 [Bot], n2k, paulus3005, philclaffey, Sogatori, timorei, toad, torpak, Yahoo [Bot]