The Discussions and Opinions forum is a place for open discussion regarding everything related to KDE, within the boundaries of KDE Code of Conduct. If you have a question or need a solution for a KDE problem, please post in the apppropriate forum instead.
Reply to topic

Do you use activities or plasmoids extensively?

JonathanR
Registered Member
OS
I use Quick Access a lot. I have 8 of them in use, plus CWP, and System Load Viewer. I really miss the feature that KDE 3.x had where you could right click and add an application, or an entire sub-menu. So that is what I use Quick Access for.
User avatar annew
Manager
OS
JonathanR wrote:I really miss the feature that KDE 3.x had where you could right click and add an application, or an entire sub-menu.

If you use Lancelot as your launcher-menu you can drag whole sections onto the panel - I think you will find that does what you want.

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
fsfmember
Registered Member
OS
kde 4.3.3

I only "use" the Luna plasmoid, which is a very simple plasmoid showing the current phase of the moon. Then off course Kickoff, classic taskbar and time. I would gladly use much more - but as of now, I simply can not find any usefull plasmoids :(

or should I call them widgets, as the context menu on desktop says? Shall we rebrand it? :D no i think some kind of clarification of terms would be nice. Just use one name and stick to it everywhere.

As of activities, i don't use them at all. To say the truth - i dont even know what should I imagine under "activities". Some application with TODO notes? :< I really don't know at the moment.
Well it is a shame, but it is the truth o)

And need to say i read planetkde everyday, browse forums regularly and i'm very big fan of KDE :-) and all FLOSS offc.

Edit:i see the activities is actually another plasmoid/widget. Usage? Unknown. when I tried to find out - by clicking "help" on "activity bar settings" all I got was error message:
There is no documentation available for /plasma-desktop/index.html. :)
please note a have FULL kde installed.
i know, this is for another discussion and it can probably be fixed easily, just wanted to give you some feedback because new user will most probably be in the same situation and he will NOT KNOW. And the user is not using what he doesn't know... :)

Last edited by fsfmember on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Moult
Global Moderator
OS
or should I call them widgets, as the context menu on desktop says? Shall we rebrand it?

The KDE promo team has already discussed this, and I think the decision was to keep it named as "widgets". So the title of this thread is technically incorrect :)

Moult, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
thinkMoult - source for tech, art, and animation: hilarity and interest ensured!
WIPUP.org - a unique system to share, critique and track your works-in-progress projects.
User avatar Hans
Administrator
OS
Plasmoid - native Plasma widget.
Widget - can be any widget, including those from Mac OS X and Google gadgets.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
fsfmember
Registered Member
OS
Moult wrote:The KDE promo team has already discussed this, and I think the decision was to keep it named as "widgets".
I see. Please excuse me for off topic. Well, a pity i wasn't part of the team, :D because I think "plasmoid" has something in it. No one has plasmoids. But everybody has widgets. Every app which uses widgets names them widgets or gadgets. I do not know how it is called in this "new" windows, but it is certainly not plasmoids.
I think we could get much much more into consciousness of average reader/user , using "plasmoids", as his brain would make an uncouscious corelation between KDE and plasmoid. We would have something with a new slick name. Now we have what everybody has :)

Oh yes, names and brands matter so much. You can see/hear names everywhere. In fact, in corporate world it is THE most important thing as we know. If I see word "plasmoid" i know where it comes from and what it is, if I heard the word before. If not, it might catch my interest and maybe I will check it out (research) what is it and find out that it's related to KDE.

But if i hear "widget" somewhere out in the wild, i think to myself - another application going mainstream... certainly I would not research anything, as widgets are everywhere.

ok... thanks for reading and apologies for OT.

edit: All right Hans already said how it is. :-) This makes sense if it stays like that. in my post I was speaking generally about the two words.
User avatar TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Thee problem is that no one outside of KDE knows what a "plasmoid" is while everyone knows what a "widget" is. Unfortunately we do not have the market presence to force our own terminology on users and expect them to have any clue what we are talking about.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
User avatar dequire
Registered Member
OS
TheBlackCat wrote:Thee problem is that no one outside of KDE knows what a "plasmoid" is while everyone knows what a "widget" is. Unfortunately we do not have the market presence to force our own terminology on users and expect them to have any clue what we are talking about.

I disagree in one sense: No one will try out KDE because "it can do widgets". Every DE can do those more or less. Plasmoid, IMHO, sounds more hip and different. Though really they aren't, except for how the look and how integrated they are in the OS. As soon as someone tries a live CD or DVD, they'll learn what a Plasmoid is. And all things being equal in terms of functionality, etc, I'd much rather use a Plasmoid. In other words, a "notification Plasmoid" would usually be preferable to a "notification widget". Small thing, but important.
User avatar Moult
Global Moderator
OS
In an effort to get back on topic (by the way, another factor was that it was already called "widgets" in the UI as well as being packaged as "widgets" by some repository), I would like to show how I've been trying to use activities lately.

This first one shows my "work" activity, which has three plasmoids, a folder view of my home folder, a weather plasmoid, and a notes plasmoid. The notes plasmoid is definitely quite useful for obvious reasons, the weather plasmoid I use as I have to walk to and from school and it allows me to schedule my day depending on whether it will rain or not, and the folder view filters my files for office documents, PDFs and tex. This is because those are the only formats I'll deal with for work-related stuff.

My other activity is one I mainly use when not doing work - which is mainly web development. As you can see it has two folderviews side by side - one showing my local home folder completely unfiltered (with a symlink to my localhost web root), and another showing my testing webserver. I find that my production servers go through too many "middle" steps to be of much use as a folder view (eg: version control, rsyncing, whatever). However it's quite useful as a drag-and-drop. In fact, I used it when posting this to upload my two thumbnails to my personal imagebin.

A couple of things I do to use activites more effectively are 1) set a screen edge to activate the dashboard (essential for me) and 2) have a translucent taskbar so I can see what activity I'm in.

Moult, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
thinkMoult - source for tech, art, and animation: hilarity and interest ensured!
WIPUP.org - a unique system to share, critique and track your works-in-progress projects.
User avatar Primoz
OS
I see I haven't yet replied to this topic, though I should.
I do use activities and plasmoids quite extensively...
I have 4 activities all of them have their purpose.
First my "main" activity is called "map" and more or less fun plasmoids...
It's interesting to see that Hans named a similar activity to my"main" as playground...

The activity is more or less the same only thing that I don't have anymore is weather widget, a somehow BBC MET doesn't have Ljubljana anymore...

So next activity is called "desktop" as it's a normal desktop (folder view) activity on which I have more or less just wine apps (well games).

Then I have a multimedia activity with folder views for different "media".

Last activity I have is called "Fax" short for faculty... It's for all things I do for my study...

I also have a special activity for dashboard... But it's mostly test plasmoids, like flipoid, and things that are useful, like units converter, plasma keyboard and charselect.

Primoz, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
My current setup at work:
Desktop:
FolderView showing a particular source code directory
FolderView showing the desktop folder (where I have most of my actively-used python scripts)
FolderView showing a local deploy directory
Analog clock
Mantis:
Browser plasmoid showing work mantis (bug tracker) page (and a link to konqueror to work around a bug in the plasmoid)
Medusa (name of our team at work):
3 folderViews showing directories specific to the team I'm on
Feeds:
Calendar plasmoid
News plasmoids showing work wiki's recent changes and work blog entries.
Data:
various plasmoids showing production and development data directories, and various intermediate directories (for easy copying files to different directories for testing)
Current Data:
Two plasmoids showing current production and development data directories for easy copying and viewing files.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
bruno.kindt
Registered Member
OS
number of activities, 0
number of plasmoids, 0 (no panel, no taskbar, nothing ...)

If i find a theme that looks good or a plasmoid that is usefull i'll start using the plasma desktop. This sounds negative but every new release of kde i look around for themes and plasmoids and find none that fit me. Everything i need (plasmoid like) can be done with a few simple line of bash or perl...
User avatar moofang
Registered Member
bruno.kindt wrote:number of activities, 0

Actually, as long as you have plasma activated at all (eg. you see a wallpaper instead of a great black), that's 1 activity. It'll just be a blank one :)

So you launch all your applications via terminal? Or do you krunner? Wait, I guess you need to at least krunner your terminal up, unless you have it on autostart. Hmmm, I find a blank desktop somewhat difficult to imagine :)

airdrik
Registered Member
OS
moofang wrote:
bruno.kindt wrote:number of activities, 0

Actually, as long as you have plasma activated at all (eg. you see a wallpaper instead of a great black), that's 1 activity. It'll just be a blank one :)

So you launch all your applications via terminal? Or do you krunner? Wait, I guess you need to at least krunner your terminal up, unless you have it on autostart. Hmmm, I find a blank desktop somewhat difficult to imagine :)

He could be missing out completely by using a 3rd-party window manager/environment like fluxbox or e17, and only using KDE for its apps (which is fine, too).

As for looking for a good plasmoid theme, new themes are posted fairly regularly on kde-looks.org, and these will show up in the new theme installer. Of course the themes are all svgs, so if you know a little about vector art you can design your own.

Most of the plasmoids are there for your convenience to help make certain repetitious or frequently-accessed actions a click away. If you choose not to use them that's your prerogative.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
bruno.kindt
Registered Member
OS
>> I find a blank desktop somewhat difficult to imagine

http://brunokindt.deviantart.com/art/mi ... -161652154

>> Actually, as long as you have plasma activated at all (eg. you see a wallpaper instead of a great black), that's 1 activity. It'll just be a blank one

killall plasma-desktop [removes the the cashew :) ]

>> So you launch all your applications via terminal?

I launch applications with bashrun. Could use krunner but it ignores the path environment variable when launching apps. And yes sometimes I use konsole to start apps.

>> He could be missing out completely by using a 3rd-party window manager/environment

using Compiz (nothing like then writing a plugin for Compiz...)
I also switch virtual desktops by clicking the left or right screen edge, something missing in KDE. Had a look at writing this desktop switching in KDE4 myself but it looked like a lot of work just to get started.

Missing out on what? used pekwm as a window manager for a year and the only thing that KDE offers is eye candy

>> As for looking for a good plasmoid theme, new themes are posted fairly regularly on kde-looks.org

With every new release of KDE I have a look at kde-looks.org. The only thing I could use plasmoids for is as a replacement for conky. But if you compare a Google image search for "kde plasmoids" and "conky" you see that conky uses less screen space and has no fat borders.... but this is personal taste

Would realy love to use more KDE4 features but they need to fit my needs ...

cheers,
Bruno

Reply to topic