Reply to topic

baloo_file_extractor is worked up

User avatar jayesh.bhoot
Registered Member
OS

baloo_file_extractor is worked up

Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:38 pm
Recently, baloo, specifically baloo_file_extractor has acting up on my mahine, consuming 100% of one of my CPU cores. I have to kill it everytime I log in, since last 5-6 days.

This is not the initial indexing which would normally take time. Also, this has never happened before.

Following suggestions given in similar threads on this forum, I looked for a solution on the Baloo Page of KDE Community Wiki . However, it doesn't say anything about baloo_file_extractor.

Further digging in the diff of the above page showed that the Vishesh Handa has removed the info on the extractor, presumably it being out of date or no longer relevant.

Similar threads in the forum have suggested to look up the file numbers in KSysGuard on which the extractor has hung up. However, that info doesn't show up (anymore?).

I do think that the extractor is stuck on indexing last few files. balooctl status is stuck at the same number of indexed files.

Code: Select all
Baloo File Indexer is running
Indexer state: Indexing file content
Indexed 51558 / 51579 files
Current size of index is 772.85 MiB

balooctl check responded with a message Started search for unindexed files but did nothing (no '*baloo*' process in KSysguard).

I think I can make some progress in finding the culprit if there is a way to list the files that the extractor is stuck on.

Regards,
Jayesh Bhoot
ozone
Registered Member
One way to identify a troublemaker file is
qdbus org.kde.baloo /fileindexer org.kde.baloo.fileindexer.currentFile

I also just discovered the undocumented
balooctl monitor
which does actually pretty much the same :)
User avatar jayesh.bhoot
Registered Member
OS
ozone wrote:One way to identify a troublemaker file is...

This is great! While I am on a different system now, where baloo hasn't thrown any tantrums yet, it may only be a matter of time. This advice should come handy then.

In any case, this post answers the question I posed in this topic. So I will mark it solved. Thanks for your assistance!

Reply to topic