Reply to topic

Spectacle - Save a screenshot to clipboard without the GUI

yu3ib7TgK9i
Registered Member
Hi,

I would like to be able to take a screenshot and save it to clipboard, similarly as in Windows, without a GUI window appearing. Additionally, it seems that if I do click "copy to clipboard" in the GUI, closing or discarding (maybe only discarding) will also discard the clipboard image contents. However, I would rather the GUI not show at all.

Is this a possible setting?

Thank you.
lueck
Mentor
yu3ib7TgK9i
Registered Member
lueck wrote:https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kdegraphics/spectacle/starting.html

Sorry, but I've already tried all of Spectacle's options. I cannot set the default 'save location' to the clipboard - only a folder, without spectacle's GUI.

I want to save the image to clipboard, not the file location.
shalak
Registered Member
OS
yu3ib7TgK9i wrote:
lueck wrote:https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kdegraphics/spectacle/starting.html

Sorry, but I've already tried all of Spectacle's options. I cannot set the default 'save location' to the clipboard - only a folder, without spectacle's GUI.

I want to save the image to clipboard, not the file location.

Huh, ever since I found out that FB messanger allows to paste raw image into conversation I started to look for some solution.

I worked around the lack of this option in the following way:

0. sudo apt-get install xclip
1. Configure spectacle to use Rectangular Selection, default save to /some/path/Screenshot_%Y%M%D_%H%m%S
2. Configure PrintScreen for rectangular selection via custom shortcuts
3. Try it - once you select the area and hit enter it should show the pop-up notification about saved file.
4. On this notification select the settings button
5. In the notification settings enable "Run command" and set it as /usr/bin/xclip -selection clipboard -target image/png -i $(ls -1tr /some/path/Screenshot_*.png | tail -n 1)

You could set the screenshot paths to use /tmp, so it's cleared regularly.

Enjoy :)

Reply to topic