Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:44 pm
after killing my WetabOS on my wetab (by installing plasma active), I tried to find the "recovery stick image". Since they (tiito) offer only a torrent, which is dead, I could not restore my Wetab anymore
So a good reason to give plasma active a chance
As proposed by http://plasma-active.org/ i used the http://share.basyskom.com/plasma-active ... elease.iso.
After that, I discovered Zypper and Apper. Both can be used for installation of further software.
Since the device is heavily used by my wife and the kids, I have some "must haves":
1. Playback youtube videos - DOESN'T WORK (I hear the sound, but no video)
2. Localization (german) - COULD NOT FIND A SETTING FOR THAT
3. KWallet shall not pop up all the time (it is a dependancy for network access) - WHERE CAN I DISABLE IT
4. "Multiuser mode" - This is now possible with "activities"!
5. German keyboard with arrow keys - WHY ARE ARROW KEYS NO STANDARD? I found on the web a german keyboard somwhere, will try this...
6. A XBMC and a qt client for MPD for daddy would we great, but not must have ...
I was really surprised by this software and would really like to keep it on the device, but can I fix the above bullets?
(are there some hidden config files?)
Otherwise my wife will kill me...
Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:50 pm
I run PA on a nexus 7, using a mer image provided by unknown people (downloaded from a horrible place, mediafire or something - I really feel trustful
The KWallet issue can be solved by allowing access always, and disabling the master password.
For arrow keys, you need an updated maliit keyboard. I don't know how to get it on wetab, there is a special repo for that for the nexus.
For your other issues:
Localization - I want that too. Badly (I need danish keyboard, and preferably running PA in danish. No packages for my system that I have found. If they do, they are usually named kde-l10n-<ISO language code>, or kde-i18n-<ISO language code>. The locale kcontrol module is not installed on my system, and appearently not available for install, so I'm not sure what to do about that.
Youtube - same experience, and about the same for vimeo as well. Local videos play fine in bangarang, but not in dragonplayer.
XBMC - no package for your platform? For MPD, there are quite a few clients available for KDE, but i don't really know how that works..
My own worst problems are the following:
* context menus does not work in the PA ui, eg for file manager, menus for SLC and for links in the desktop widgets.
* Freezes, mostly if not always when browsing, causing a reboot.
I don't know if those are specific to arm or to the nexus, so I'd love to hear about others experiences.
Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:02 am
While I suspect editing ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals might allow you to set the language, that won't be too helpful unfortunately as you do not have the actual language packages available to install on your device.
Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:02 pm
I am still alive, the kids and my wife gave me 24h extra to fix the tablet
@sredna: Yes the kwallet issue can be fixed, but I did not find the conf file to do so, via Systemsettings it ws not possible
The wetab seems to run stable on my device, so maybe an ARM issue.
Another thing is that the device SOMETIMES wants to go to sleep mode sporadicaly (every ~5s). In the settings I have >30min selected, no change ?
@bcooksley: I could not find a kde-l10n-* package in the repos, so doing the change in ~/.kde4/share/config/kdeglobals is maybe useless
Time for plan B...
After googling the whole internet, I came to the idea to install Kubuntu (64bit!) onto the device. Installation
is that easy, unbeliveable (I am a gentoo fanboy )
I followed http://conelek.org/Wetab_32GB-UMTS_mit_Kubuntu (unfortuntalety German).
Since KDE has so many configOptions, I could change the UI so that it suites as a tablet UI
Everything (important) works :
- Real multiuser (its Linux)
- Firefox 18
- Complete german localization
- virtual keyboard (kvkb, could be better)
- XBMC frodo (really really cool) and my MPD client of choice
Still there are some drawbacks:
- I installed some packages for KDE named plasma-*, plasma-active-* but could not start them yet.
- There is a netbook UI, but I belive a custom Desktop UI has a higher WAF (in my case)
- No working login virtual keyboard (description in the link above doesn't work for me, but empty passwords are a workaround for the moment)
- Touch control has some inconsistency and is incomplete , (I have to read touch@Linux first maybe)
- Brightness changes automaticaly to 100% after I dimmed the display to e.g. 50% and disabled power management
- Multi touch control not possible yet, but this is for us only a toy, we have no real use case for it (zooming fotos/websited yeah looks cool, but not requred)
One message to the developers of plasma-active:
- You did a really great job, the plasma-active is very promising
- But why don't you focus on the 90% of tablet users? Believe me, youtube (flash), localization and maybe facebook should be at the top of your list, otherwise the first hype of your software might deflagrate (talking for me, only).
- We, the remaining 10% (software developers and enthusiasts) will allways find a way to make things work
I will come back soon, if you implement the missing stuff soon, too
Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:06 pm
I have ~/.kde/share/config/kwalletrc
Registered users: Andreas Mair, andreas_k, arias, arucard, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], djfw, einar, Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], google01103, hstoellinger, korsakoff, louis94, Majestic-12 [Bot], metzman, paulus3005, timeknows, varlesh, vpinon, wolfi323, Yahoo [Bot]