Reply to topic

SOLVED - KMAIL refuses to launch

joshaughnessy
Registered Member
Posts
33
Karma
0
OS

SOLVED - KMAIL refuses to launch

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:05 am
the email program encountered a fatal error and will terminate now.
The error was:
Could not create collection trash resourceId: 3

this error shows every time I try to start the program and promptly closes, giving no opportunity to find or correct the error (probably a link to trash from an account.
I am set up with 5 different IMAP accounts.
all was working fine until today. I would prefer not to have to reinstall it after purging my settings as I have so many accounts and kmail is definitely not the easiest for setting them up. I would like to use kmail preferably because its native kde and integrates well.

KDE is version 4.12
User avatar progdan
KDE Developer
Posts
68
Karma
0
OS

Re: KMAIL refuses to launch

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:32 am
Please open Akonadi Console, go to "DB Console" tab, execute the query below and paste it's output here (should be one row with four columns). Then we can try to figure out what's wrong :-)

Code: Select all
SELECT CollectionTable.id, CollectionTable.name, CollectionTable.remoteId, ResourceTable.name FROM CollectionTable LEFT JOIN ResourceTable ON CollectionTable.resourceId = ResourceTable.id WHERE CollectionTable.resourceId = 3 AND CollectionTable.parentId IS NULL;


Daniel Vrátil | www.dvratil.cz | dvratil@kde.org
IRC: dvratil on Freenode (#kde, #kontact, #akonadi, #fedora-kde)
joshaughnessy
Registered Member
Posts
33
Karma
0
OS

Re: KMAIL refuses to launch

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:16 pm
progdan wrote:Please open Akonadi Console, go to "DB Console" tab, execute the query below and paste it's output here (should be one row with four columns). Then we can try to figure out what's wrong :-)

Code: Select all
SELECT CollectionTable.id, CollectionTable.name, CollectionTable.remoteId, ResourceTable.name FROM CollectionTable LEFT JOIN ResourceTable ON CollectionTable.resourceId = ResourceTable.id WHERE CollectionTable.resourceId = 3 AND CollectionTable.parentId IS NULL;

I got akonadi resources configuration, akonadi server configuration and that's about it.... :) don't know any akonadi console :-\ where do I find this?
User avatar progdan
KDE Developer
Posts
68
Karma
0
OS

Re: KMAIL refuses to launch

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:20 pm
There's a dedicated application called "Akonadi Console". You can execute it from terminal via akonadiconsole command. It's usually part of kdepim package, but maybe your distribution ships it in a separate package.


Daniel Vrátil | www.dvratil.cz | dvratil@kde.org
IRC: dvratil on Freenode (#kde, #kontact, #akonadi, #fedora-kde)
joshaughnessy
Registered Member
Posts
33
Karma
0
OS

Re: KMAIL refuses to launch

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:29 pm
joshaughnessy wrote:
progdan wrote:Please open Akonadi Console, go to "DB Console" tab, execute the query below and paste it's output here (should be one row with four columns). Then we can try to figure out what's wrong :-)

Code: Select all
SELECT CollectionTable.id, CollectionTable.name, CollectionTable.remoteId, ResourceTable.name FROM CollectionTable LEFT JOIN ResourceTable ON CollectionTable.resourceId = ResourceTable.id WHERE CollectionTable.resourceId = 3 AND CollectionTable.parentId IS NULL;

I got akonadi resources configuration, akonadi server configuration and that's about it.... :) don't know any akonadi console :-\ where do I find this?


OK I found the akonadiconsole, pasted the query in the DB console, hit enter and then:
nothing happened
when I open the akonadiconsole I get the following error

Failed to connect to database: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/akonadi-root.dtP3l9/mysql.socket' (2) QMYSQL: Unable to connect
joshaughnessy
Registered Member
Posts
33
Karma
0
OS

Re: KMAIL refuses to launch

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:25 pm
joshaughnessy wrote:
joshaughnessy wrote:
progdan wrote:Please open Akonadi Console, go to "DB Console" tab, execute the query below and paste it's output here (should be one row with four columns). Then we can try to figure out what's wrong :-)

Code: Select all
SELECT CollectionTable.id, CollectionTable.name, CollectionTable.remoteId, ResourceTable.name FROM CollectionTable LEFT JOIN ResourceTable ON CollectionTable.resourceId = ResourceTable.id WHERE CollectionTable.resourceId = 3 AND CollectionTable.parentId IS NULL;

I got akonadi resources configuration, akonadi server configuration and that's about it.... :) don't know any akonadi console :-\ where do I find this?


OK I found the akonadiconsole, pasted the query in the DB console, hit enter and then:
nothing happened
when I open the akonadiconsole I get the following error

Failed to connect to database: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/akonadi-root.dtP3l9/mysql.socket' (2) QMYSQL: Unable to connect

tried again executing the query and only got this:
akonadi_maildir_resource_0
then this:
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'CollectionTable.id, CollectionTable.name, CollectionTable.remoteId, ResourceTabl' at line 1 QMYSQL: Unable to execute query
User avatar progdan
KDE Developer
Posts
68
Karma
0
OS

Re: KMAIL refuses to launch  Topic is solved

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:58 pm
This is very weird. If the query returns only the fourth column (akonadi_maildir_resource_0), then something is wrong with maildir resource ("Local Folders"). You can try in the first "Agents" tab to remove the "Local Folders" agent, then restart Akonadi and then start KMail. KMail will try to create it again on start.


Daniel Vrátil | www.dvratil.cz | dvratil@kde.org
IRC: dvratil on Freenode (#kde, #kontact, #akonadi, #fedora-kde)
joshaughnessy
Registered Member
Posts
33
Karma
0
OS

Re: KMAIL refuses to launch

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:21 pm
progdan wrote:This is very weird. If the query returns only the fourth column (akonadi_maildir_resource_0), then something is wrong with maildir resource ("Local Folders"). You can try in the first "Agents" tab to remove the "Local Folders" agent, then restart Akonadi and then start KMail. KMail will try to create it again on start.


Weird indeed! god only knows how it got that way......
I removed the local folders agent. logged out and logged back in, started kontact and it all appears to work again as normal..

what happened? ???
I just quit and restarted again... Yes everything appears to be working fine and all the correct folders for each account are working, all 5 IMAP accounts and identities and outgoing mail too
barrysmith
Registered Member
Posts
1
Karma
0
Just to say thank you.

Deleting the 'local folders' account and then restarting worked for me also.

I think this problem came about because I had recently changed all my other email accounts 'trash' folders to be pointing to their own trash folder rather than the local folders trash folder.

Thanks again.
Barry
bege78
Registered Member
Posts
1
Karma
0
For me it was sufficient to remove the local trash folder:
rm -rf .local/share/local-mail/trash/

Kmail recreates it and everything's fine.
Murz
Registered Member
Posts
44
Karma
0
Thanks, deleting the 'local folders' agent in akonadi server, then restarting akonadi worked for me too, solve the problem.
epertinez
Registered Member
Posts
2
Karma
0

Re: SOLVED - KMAIL refuses to launch

Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:54 am
In my case I renamed ~/.local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_0/trash
equaeghe
Registered Member
Posts
34
Karma
0
OS
bege78 wrote:For me it was sufficient to remove the local trash folder:
rm -rf .local/share/local-mail/trash/

Kmail recreates it and everything's fine.

I also did this to fix the issue. Also I got hit by this bug after pointing all trashes away from the local trash.

Is there a bug report on this already?
gianfrus
Registered Member
Posts
1
Karma
0
bege78 wrote:For me it was sufficient to remove the local trash folder:
rm -rf .local/share/local-mail/trash/

Kmail recreates it and everything's fine.


Hi, for me was not sufficient to delete '.local/share/local-mail/trash', instead the solution from progdan worked well -thanks-.

I also tried to renew attention to bugs
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=339214 ,
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=366388 and
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=362339
that are substantially equivalent but surprisingly yet in "unconfirmed" state.

This bug is particularly annoying because stops KMail immediately after execution and discourages non-skilled users, furthermore the workaround can not be readily found.
CnZhx
Registered Member
Posts
13
Karma
0
OS

Re: SOLVED - KMAIL refuses to launch

Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:02 pm
+1 to progdan's solution: viewtopic.php?t=120777#p308518

I also ran into this problem after changing all the other email accounts 'bin' folders to be pointing to their own trash folder rather than the Local Folders' wastebin folder.

 
Reply to topic

Bookmarks



Who is online

Registered users: 1ykos, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], hstoellinger, jingmx, Majestic-12 [Bot], manliol, Sogou [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]