Reply to topic

email printing from kmail/kontact not operational

rexi80
Registered Member
Posts
21
Karma
0
OS
hi there,

when trying to print emails from kmail I am getting the message

"WebEngine printing support is limited for the moment An external browser will be used for printing" with buttons "Open in Browser" and "Cancel".

Is this the current application development status or just a bug??

Moreover when pressing "Open in Browser" the mail is opened in konqueror, although in system setting the default browser is set to firefox. When uninstalling konqueror the whole printing process crashes! So if one has to live with printing via a browser, how to set the default browser for kmail to firefox??

Any advice?

Thanks a lot.

cheers

N.B. kontact version is 5.4
wolfi323
Registered Member
Posts
1121
Karma
11
OS
rexi80 wrote:when trying to print emails from kmail I am getting the message

"WebEngine printing support is limited for the moment An external browser will be used for printing" with buttons "Open in Browser" and "Cancel".

Is this the current application development status or just a bug??

It's a limitation of QtWebEngine (which kmail uses for displaying emails since 5.3).
Normal printing support will be available in Qt 5.8 AFAIK, but that's still in beta.

Moreover when pressing "Open in Browser" the mail is opened in konqueror, although in system setting the default browser is set to firefox. When uninstalling konqueror the whole printing process crashes! So if one has to live with printing via a browser, how to set the default browser for kmail to firefox??

Hm, kmail should just use the default browser that's set in systemsettings.
It worked fine here when I last tried, but that's been a while (I'm actually using Konqueror as my default browser).
rexi80
Registered Member
Posts
21
Karma
0
OS
Hi,

thanks for the reply.

I have set the default browser in "systemsettings" to "firefox". Interestingly every external link in an email opens in firefox ................ but not the printing business.

cheers
wolfi323
Registered Member
Posts
1121
Karma
11
OS
rexi80 wrote:I have set the default browser in "systemsettings" to "firefox". Interestingly every external link in an email opens in firefox ................ but not the printing business.

Ah, so you mean the printing.

I just tried that, and can reproduce your "problem".
You can "fix" it by setting Firefox as preferred application to open text/html files though (in Systemsettings->Applications->File Associations).

Apparently QtWebEngine (or kmail) just creates a temporary file with the EMail content (as HTML), and then opens that file with the default application (not the default browser which is very KDE specific, there is no general concept of that in Linux).
barraclm
Registered Member
Posts
17
Karma
0
Hi

Does anyone know when printing from KMail2 will be fixed so that users don't have to:

Click on Print
Click on Open in Browser
Right click on page
Click on Print
Click on Print

just to print an email

This is CRAZY!!!!!! I would love to be able to extol the virtues of KDE/Kubuntu to clients but with stuff like this I have to advise people to stay clear of Kubuntu.

KMail 5.4.3
KDE Frameworks 5.34.0
Qt 5.7.1
wolfi323
Registered Member
Posts
1121
Karma
11
OS
barraclm wrote:Does anyone know when printing from KMail2 will be fixed

It is fixed since a while, but that requires Qt 5.8 or higher as I wrote (and kmail needs to be compiled against it).

Qt 5.7.1's QtWebEngine (that kmail uses for displaying mails) does not support printing. That has been added in 5.8.0.
barraclm
Registered Member
Posts
17
Karma
0
wolfi323 wrote:It is fixed since a while, but that requires Qt 5.8 or higher as I wrote (and kmail needs to be compiled against it).


Forgive me, but if it isn't in the distribution and isn't in an update and needs to be compiled then to all intents and purposes it is not fixed.

What I think you are saying is that you know what the issue is (Qt 5.8 or higher is needed) but that until a version of KMail is compiled against Qt 5.8 and put in the Kubuntu distribution, or at least in the Backports PPA it still doesn't work and isn't fixed for 99.9% of users who do not compile their products.

Do we have a forecast as to when there will be a version of KMail that is compiled against Qt 5.8?

:'(
wolfi323
Registered Member
Posts
1121
Karma
11
OS
barraclm wrote:Forgive me, but if it isn't in the distribution and isn't in an update and needs to be compiled then to all intents and purposes it is not fixed.

Well, it isn't in *your* distribution.
It's of course your distribution's choice what they ship.

KDE only provides source code.
It is fixed in current KMail versions (it uses Qt's printing support if available), and it is fixed/supported in the latest Qt.

And forgive me too, but I'm only stating the facts here.

Do we have a forecast as to when there will be a version of KMail that is compiled against Qt 5.8?

You should ask the Kubuntu developers/packagers.

I am not involved in Kubuntu and am not even using it.
barraclm
Registered Member
Posts
17
Karma
0
wolfi323 wrote:You should ask the Kubuntu developers/packagers. I am not involved in Kubuntu and am not even using it.


First, please accept my apology for misunderstanding how the various parts of the Linix/Ubuntiu/Kubuntu/KDE/KMail jigsaw puzzle are put together.

Second, please accept my appreciation for all you do in your part of this jigsaw puzzle. I am aware that all the work is unpaid and voluntary and I much appreciate it.

As a migrant from Windows, about 7 years ago and now 95% Windows free, I am still not used to who does what to deliver me my software. It would be most helpful if you could point me at a more appropriate forum where I can express my angst about this issue.
wolfi323
Registered Member
Posts
1121
Karma
11
OS
barraclm wrote:It would be most helpful if you could point me at a more appropriate forum where I can express my angst about this issue.

Well, as I said, I don't know much about (K)Ubuntu as I never used it.

This may help you though:
http://www.kubuntu.org/community/

 
Reply to topic

Bookmarks



Who is online

Registered users: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], bovender, Google [Bot], hiteshshah, jmacleod, lucianosalomoni, Majestic-12 [Bot], p2ranger, raphaelra, Sentinel, TheBeheader, thunder422