Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:56 pm
I've been trying for a week, to install Simon, but it does not work. It is to despair. I've searched all the forums.
My operating system: Linux Mint 17.1 with cinnamon and KDE.
Installs: HTK, sphinxtrain, Hadi-bomp
My conclusion about it is:
1. Installation is too complicated and a monster.
2. It lacks precise explanations during installation
3. The akustic scenario can not be downloaded during the first setup.
4. The download of each scenario sometimes fails. I got the german error message "Szenario kann nicht expandiert werden" A more detailed error message would be helpful to solve the problem.
5. The user interface is not too clear and confusing.
I switched from Windows to Linux and despair of the fussiness. I work with Linux for 10 months but now I slowly regret the move. The software Simon will always remain at that level software for nerds and specialists. For normal users, it is not useful. With my mind I'm going to make any friends, but after a week of absolute frustration I have to say so. Apple is successful because it makes things easier. I donate very much for open source projects. I am optimistic and in a few months I'm going to try it again, but only now I've given up and in the meantime I'll switch to Windows and use Dragon Naturall Speaking. For me, speech recognition for Linux remains a dream. Really pity.
Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:35 pm
I am sorry you are frustrated with Simon. I agree that there is certainly a lot to do to make Simon easier to use. Sadly, other obligations leave me very little time to work on this. I hope to find more time in the future.