Reply to topic

How do I turn on Voice navigation?

groenejongen
Registered Member
Posts
5
Karma
0

How do I turn on Voice navigation?

Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:46 pm
I use Marble and I'm very content with it. I use the desktop version 1.3.4 (on my bike-mounted 32-bits linux laptop) - in combination with a well-functioning GPS receiver.

However, how do I turn on voice navigation (mentioned as a feature)? I even searched through the Marble-documentation with google, but there is no mentioning what so ever of the word "voice" anywhere. Is it also supported in the older 1.3.4 version? (which is the version Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, which I don't want to upgrade given the relatively slow 32 bits machine on my bike).

Moreover, if I import a route/track (.gpx) from another source, how can I enable voice navigation for it in Marble? It shows up as a blue line, but I would like to have spoken turn by turn navigation for that as well...

(It wouldn't be a bad idea if the feature list on the Marble-page would link to relevant fragments in the documentation about how to use/enable the given feature.)

Thanks in advance!
User avatar google01103
Manager
Posts
6668
Karma
25
did you try settings -> configure -> plugins -> routing -> wrench -> check "audible turn instructions" -> select a speaker


OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

groenejongen
Registered Member
Posts
5
Karma
0
deleted

Last edited by groenejongen on Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
groenejongen
Registered Member
Posts
5
Karma
0
google01103 wrote:did you try settings -> configure -> plugins -> routing -> wrench -> check "audible turn instructions" -> select a speaker

(Ah, replying to a reply is done with "quote". Hmm...)
Thanks, that was (at least part of) what I was looking for! I'm going to try it out.
groenejongen
Registered Member
Posts
5
Karma
0
groenejongen wrote:
google01103 wrote:did you try settings -> configure -> plugins -> routing -> wrench -> check "audible turn instructions" -> select a speaker

(Ah, replying to a reply is done with "quote". Hmm...)
Thanks, that was (at least part of) what I was looking for! I'm going to try it out.


Tried it, however nothing is spoken. Something which looks quite wrong, is that when I plan a route, there are no written turn-instructions appearing. (While the route is drawn without problems on the map .)

Moreover, only the car fast option works. All other options give "no route found". Note I use an older version of Marble: the one that ships with ubuntu 12.04, to wit Marble 1.8.3, for reasons explained in my first post. (I read somewhere that the API of some routing services changed, could this be the cause, and if so, how can it be solved without upgrading?)
User avatar google01103
Manager
Posts
6668
Karma
25
suggest you try their irc or mailing list see https://edu.kde.org/marble/getinvolved.php


OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

groenejongen
Registered Member
Posts
5
Karma
0
google01103 wrote:suggest you try their irc or mailing list see https://edu.kde.org/marble/getinvolved.php

Thanks, will do!
User avatar Earthwings
KDE Developer
Posts
172
Karma
1
OS
groenejongen wrote:Tried it, however nothing is spoken. Something which looks quite wrong, is that when I plan a route, there are no written turn-instructions appearing. (While the route is drawn without problems on the map .)

Moreover, only the car fast option works. All other options give "no route found". Note I use an older version of Marble: the one that ships with ubuntu 12.04, to wit Marble 1.8.3, for reasons explained in my first post. (I read somewhere that the API of some routing services changed, could this be the cause, and if so, how can it be solved without upgrading?)

You do need a routing backend that returns turn instructions indeed. When no appear, voice navigation will not work. Some of the web services which we use as routing backends have changed their URL or API since Marble 1.8. The following backends deliver turn instructions in the latest Marble version: OpenRouteService, OSRM, Monav, CycleStreets. If the online ones (OpenRouteService, OSRM, CycleStreets) do not work for you, I'd suggest giving Monav a try. It can conveniently be installed in Ubuntu 12.04 by installing the monav-routing-daemon package. Afterwards configure the routing backend in Marble and download maps for it for the area you're interested in. There's some documentation on the topic at https://userbase.kde.org/Marble/Maemo/OfflineRouting. While it covers the mobile version of Marble, it's quite the same on the Desktop. Monav will give turn instructions in Marble, and also work offline, which is very handy :)

Voice navigation is enabled only in guidance mode. In the desktop version you activate it by first enabling the routing info box (View => Info Boxes => Routing) and then clicking on the left-most icon.

Another point where things could potentially break is if Ubuntu does not compile Marble with support for Phonon. In that case voice navigation is disabled (Phonon is used by Marble to playback .mp3/.ogg files).

The speakers for voice navigation can be installed directly from the routing plugin configuration widget in the latest Marble version. You can check which ones are installed on your system by inspecting ~/.local/share/marble/audio/speakers/. There is a bit of documentation about it at https://userbase.kde.org/Marble/CustomS ... stallation
plasmanian
Registered Member
Posts
4
Karma
0
google01103 wrote:did you try settings -> configure -> plugins -> routing -> wrench -> check "audible turn instructions" -> select a speaker


I tried this with Marble 2.0.20(2.1 dev version) compiled with Qt5.5.1. Everytime I go to this setting and select a speaker (I've also checked if it's installed under the ~/.local/share/marble/audio/speakers/ directory and a couple of the speakers are already installed), after selecting the speaker and clicking ok it seems to get reset. That is, clicking on the wrench again, dispalys the unchecked audible turn instructions. I couldn't find a solution for this. What is the actual problem and how do I resolve this? :-\

P.S: I compiled marble with phonon libraries also. Checked if phonon is working properly through kcmshell4 kcm_phonon.

EDIT: I rectified this by compiling everything separately. I'm not sure where the error was actually, but it was a conflict of library paths. That being said, a clean install shouldn't bring this trouble. :)

 
Reply to topic

Bookmarks



Who is online

Registered users: 4m, abury, Arkengheist, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], bluesky, boudewijn, DaniilDragon, Deevad, Exabot [Bot], farid, Google [Bot], hellozee, jamesdavis, KAMiKAZOW, Lembritt, m4TZ, mcoudert, Merlimau, mohammedhn, stanleyf, TheraHedwig, thunder422, Underrr, vishalrao, Yahoo [Bot]